What is the lowest serial numbered gun you have ever owned?

j-framer

Hi folks,

I thought there must have been a thread like this before, but couldn't dig one up in 10 minutes of searching.

I'm interested to know which among you have owned firearms that have/had what you consider to be a remarkably low serial number relative to the total number produced. I'd be interested in hearing what the guns were, the approximate serial number, and any other interesting facts or anecdotes you may have to offer about the gun's history.

Some of you may say "Who cares?", but I have a certain fascination with very low numbers on a gun, a fascination extends particularly to older guns with some recognized collector appeal.

Even if you didn't own the gun, but simply saw it for sale or auction, or know someone who has such a piece, please share it with us.

Interesting that most of the guns so far are relatively new models. This one isn't, though:

60X, on a rifle made in 1871.

PTK, would you mind sharing what make and model of rifle that is?

Part of what inspired this thread is an old, long-closed auction that I recently view online for a Colt 1908 .25, whose serial number was 29xx. Not terribly low, but by far the lowest I have encountered yet (for that particular model).

I wonder exactly how desirable low serial number guns are to collectors. How much of a difference does it make in the gun's value?

Naturally, it would depend in large part on how collectible the model is to begin with and its condition as well, but I'd like to find out how much of a premium people would pay for such guns.

Last edited:
I guess mine doesn't really qualify as a low serial number... I have my Grandfather's pre-model 10 Smith & Wesson. Roy Jinks calls it officially the "Smith & Wesson Military and Police model of 1905 Fourth Change" and it's date of manufacture was 1921 and the serial number is 357xxx.

Not a low number, but we are talking about a revolver that S&W has made for a long, long, LONG time, and they made a lot of them. Compared to many other model 10s, you'd have to call this one a low number!

built an ar from an 80% finished lower (I had access to the equipment at that time to finish it).

since I was the one that finished the lower. I marked it 000 :D

oh and I also own several savage, stevens and some others that don't have a serial number (came from the factory that way many many years ago).

I've got a S&W .38-.44 Outdoorsman (or HD?) 6" Target Model with SN 12X. It's currently out gettin a new backwards twist ejector rod built.

Dad has a blackpowder derringer (which, technically will be mine soon), there were only 20 made, S/N is 7.

Have a S&W Regulation Police and the s/n is in the 700's.

Back