What is the big deal about "TALO"??

Thank you. I am associated with TALO as the Executive Director for the last 14 years. I helped to make Lew Horton Specials before this.
I'll take responsibility for most of the "stupid, over-priced, downgrades".

I am not offended. Can't please them all.

Much of the email we get at TALO is from folks who are pretty happy with their guns.

We'll keep doing it.

Thanks for the kind words.

+1 for whyrob..... great answer/attitude.

Personally, I haven't found most of the talo specials to my liking. I did like the Wiley clapp commander though, and I like the talk take on the colt new agent, even ifntyhe sigts are a hair too big for the gun.

Again great reply whyrob

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Is it TALO that does the Glocks finished in NIB-X? Because those are kinda sweet.

Speaking of tactical, on Facebook today Sig Sauer had an ad for a "Tactical Shoulder Bag". I about rolled my eyes out of my head.

I have a Ruger 10/22 Talo I-Tac six position folder,threaded stainless/syn stock with flash hider and bipod, one of my all time favorite 22's, i have 14 different guns in this caliber, thanks Talo!:)

Buck460, that is one good lookin' revolver; and that 5" barrel is just about perfect in my opinion. I've got a 5" barreled J-frame Model 60 S&W that's very useful as a trail gun. With an add'l inch of barrel, it still rides in a belt holster without pushing up into my ribs on the tractor, ATV, car seat, or deer stand, and offers add'l sight radius and velocity. Here's the long barreled M60.

Best Regards, Rodfac

SWM60-18a.jpg

Last edited:
Talo will release some of the ugliest (see the Draagon 1911 on page 1) and some really nice models too. I do like the ones with non-standard barrel lengths and upgrade sights.

A recent purchase of mine. This is a Talo edition Ruger MkIII. I was looking for a 22 pistol at a gun show and couldn't find what I was looking for. Just before I left, I saw this and knew it was the one. These pics were taken before I cleaned it all up, but it is truly a great looking and feeling handgun. I really enjoy the small extras that are on it that make it just a little "different".

50010.jpg

50006.jpg

The price increase is not always true. I was in the LGS last week before they closed for their 5 day new years inventory. They had a 6" Stainless S&W 629 that caught my eye from about 20 feet from the case. It was a brand new 629 Deluxe TALO, and the price was $20 and change less than the standard 6" 686+ sitting right above it. Thinking about going back for it when they re open tomorrow. I've been wanting a classic styled .44 mag DA to deer hunt with.

This is an old thread, but I just picked up a TALO Ruger SR1911.

The way the store was working this day, there wasn't a price increase over the standard SR1911, and I rather like the blacked out treatment.

NO idea if any internals were tweaked.

So I have seen many firearms being sold with the TALO description. As far as I understand it, Talo is a distributor of firearms. So they take a gun, put some nice grips on it, change the finsih and viola, an extra $300-$400 dollars retail. Is this just a cosmetics job or do they really enhance the firearm. By such I mean, better reliabity, accuracy, and durability. At the moment I place them along side a commerative that no one asked for or no one cared anout. Am I right in this assumation or not?

I have a Colt's Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander that was spiffed up a bit by TALO, the pistols itself was extremely loose in its fitting, typical union effort from Colt's. The stocks were interesting in that they were even thinner then the standard thin stocks currently in vogue, and that I assume came from TALO, the grip screw bushings were "obligates" meaning that they will only work with that exact grip, they will not accept any other currently manufactured thin grip from any other manufacturer. That was a PIA, they had to be heated out of the pistols frame as they had been red loctited in, the grips were just to thin, but they were cleverly manufactured to match almost perfectly with the little Colt's front strap checkering, they were the first item I replaced on the pistol! The pistol was advertised as everything you need and nothing you don't, and that certainly rang true with the pistols overall fit and finish, which were as previously noted, very loose and poorly finished! At one time this little Commander carried a $1500.00 price tag, ridiculously overpriced for its level of quality and fit, by the time I got mine from Buds, I paid just $990.00 for it, and frankly that was to high! You can literally turn the pistol over on its side, and watch the slide sag down into the frame, doing so gently back and forth and the two primary components audibly slap! I have owned many Colt's pistols over the years, this will be the last one, I am simply tired from having to contact that company and complain about shoddy work such as the WC LW Commander, they very obviously don't give a rat's ass one way or the other, TALO tries to dress up these guns, and largely they do a pretty decent job of it, however in the case of this particular Colt, its all just lipstick on a pig!

I have the Wiley Clapp Ruger GP-100, and think it's well worth the $125 I paid above a standard model. Besides the different finish, grips, and sights, the DA trigger much smoother out of the box than the standard model.

I have the Wiley Clapp Ruger GP-100, and think it's well worth the $125 I paid above a standard model. Besides the different finish, grips, and sights, the DA trigger much smoother out of the box than the standard model.

I've seen them, the 3" model that is, and its a neat looking Ruger that I would likely purchase, but I can assure you, whichever TALO guy handled my little Colt as they finished up its grips and whatever else they added to it, whoever he was, he knew it was a POS! I will of course never buy a pistol from Colt's again, and neither will I buy any 1911 sight unseen, I got suckered by the so-called new machinery at Colt's, poor judgement on my part.

There are some TALO models I like and some I don't.

The Wiley Commander 1911 and the GP100 are two that I think TALO knocked out of the park.

Oh, I've seen more than my share of 'special editions' (TALO or otherwise) that were anything but. The CZ-75 40th Anniversary Edition, for example, is one of the most hideous eyesores I've ever seen; I can't imagine anybody voluntarily paying double the usual price for one of them, but apparently people do.

Like almost anything in life, I think you have to evaluate them case by case. I do love my GP-100, though. The 2nd Gen model with the blued finish is even prettier in my opinion, but I prefer the FO sight on my 1st Gen.

I was happy to get one of the Ruger Vaquero birdsheads as well. Now I wish they'd put out a 3" Sp101 with Novak sights in .327 Federal.

There are some TALO models I like and some I don't.

The Wiley Commander 1911 and the GP100 are two that I think TALO knocked out of the park.

The 3" barreled GP100 with the Novak sights I definitely would consider for purchase, the 3" barrel .357 being to my mind the absolutely perfect rendering of the platform, the WC Colt is another story altogether, Colt's chastised me when I called to complain and seek a replacement for the one I was stuck with, they chided me that it was not intended to be a shooter, but a wall hanger!

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the thing, to say the least!

Back