What is the best gun acquisition you have made?

Hands down, my Walther PPQ in 9mm. I bought it for the trigger, but it's the complete package and suits me perfectly. It fits my hands and shoots in a very natural and intuitive way. I don't normally carry, but if I want to, it conceals well.

Last edited:
Sevens, the early Pythons are indeed hollow underlugged, then around 65 or so, they became solid. I can't recall the exact year of change, but it did happen fairly early. As too the stocks, I like the look of the combats better as well as saving the originals. Closest thing to a bbq gun I have, and the combats step it up a bit, imo.

I have such a long list of guns that I would have liked to have, or wish I ahd never sold that it would make up a thread all by itself. However, two that come to mind right off the top of my head are:

Python. I walked into a gun store about three years ago and saw this on the shelf. The price was a very reasonable $850 for this 1964 production gun and I bought it on the spot. I still like to admire it and shoot it occasionally. Oh, and BTW this one has the hollow underlug.
IMG_1397-XL.jpg

Smith and Wesson Model 29 (no dash). Another gun store impulse buy. Walked into a different store a couple of years ago and a fellow at the counter was fondling this 29. The instant he set it down, I picked it up and didn't let go until the paperwork was started. This one replaces a 29-2 that I bought new and had to sell during a period of extreme financial hardship, a decision I had regretted as soon as I did it. Anyway this one stays with me until I pass away. It shipped in 1960, a full 20 years before I bought my first one.

IMG_1739-XL.jpg

Mine was my first actual purchase (I had been given another previously) with my own money.

A High Standard Model 107 Citation which cost me all of $79.00 at the local furniture store. I was young and ignorant and it took me a while to learn how lucky I'd been. I would later use it to supplement my income as a college student; we would put up a pot and have a bit of competition. First place got 1/2 the pot, second place a quarter of it and the rest went toward pizza and beer. The Citation allowed me to win more often than not.

It was taken from me in a burglary more than 20 years ago so, alas, I have no photo of it. I did, however, manage to find one much like it a couple of years ago (the original had a gold-colored trigger and magazine release):
attachment.php

This one shoots as well as the original (at least that's the way I remember it;)).

Perhaps the OP will forgive me for posting one more with which I'm inordinately pleased:
attachment.php

For me without a doubt the best handgun purchase I have made is my S&W M18-7. I had wanted a .22 revolver for a while and originally didn't consider the smith due to the cost. I was at my LGS planning on buying a charter arms .22 and realized I was going to be disappointed. I scrimped for a few months and don't regret spending the extra money. It goes with me everywhere.

B92y8nQ.jpg

I'd say my PX4, because it was my first, and my father gave it to me, but that's too obvious.

I'd say my LCP, because it's my EDC and I trust my life to it, but that's too obvious.

I'd say my Daniel Defense M4, because my brother put down a fat stack of cash for it, and it was to commemorate a major educational milestone, but that's too obvious.

All true. All valid. But I'd say my Beretta 92FS.

It was the first gun I ever craved, for a very long time, bought brand new in box with my own money, that lived up to my expectations 100%.

I think my best one as far as shooting goes is the 1952 Smith & Wesson M & P 5" 38 Spl. I love shooting it, it's accurate, well balanced and just about perfect for me.

The best "investment" I've ever made was a 4" Python - blued and about 99%. I paid $800.00 for it and basically bought it as an investment. I know this is sacrreligious, but I really dislike it as a handgun. I've shot it and it's accurate, mechanically is "perfect" in all ways . . . but it feels like a big old boat anchor to me. I much prefer the "svelte lines" of my M & P. However, the Python has certainly increased in value and will continue to do so so as an "investment", I'll keep if for a few years and when I can't shoot anymore, sell it and take the wife on a nice vacation! :D

May sound silly, but a Heritage Rough Rider with 22LR and 22Mag cylinders for....$50. My friend bought it new and just didn't like it at all. It isn't all that pretty (no pictures required), but for $50 it's a deal I'll never find again!

My Ruger Single Six. Paid $125 for it back in '93 from a pawn shop just outside of Camp LeJeune. It was used, but in like-new condition at the time. Came complete with the matching 22mag cylinder. Still one of my favorite guns and when my hands do finally get too old and weak to shoot my 1911s, my SS will still be there.

Here it sits with it's Ruger siblings.

ruger_family.jpg

What the heck is it?? Never saw one of those. Looks upside down?
That is an underhammer pistol. It is a .50 caliber muzzleloader made by Bob Worthington at Greyhaven Arms.
It shoots real well.....no rapid fire, though.
Pete

S&W model 29-2, 8.3/8" Magnaported bbl. & M'port action job. Pawnbroker thought it was stainless, I pointed out it was a nickle plated carbon steel, said I hated the (perfect) finish. He knocked $100 of the asking price of $350. It came with Pachmyer Signature grips, full flap Bianchi holster & 2 boxes of ammo.

Hands down the 357 magnum Dan Wesson six inch heavy barrel shroud revolver I once owned.

A profoundly beautiful blued very specially built handgun of superior quality.

I wish it had been in 44 magnum because I probably would have kept it then.

I've sat here and thought about the question, but I don't have an answer. I have quite a few handguns, but I can't for the life of me pick a favorite. Some are extremely accurate, others might be more attractive and a few have sentimental value, but I can't single one out of the herd.

Sig 228 bi-tone, Beretta 92FS inox, Beretta 92FS compact, for $132..... All in excellent condition w, mags cases... Sadly I sold them at a loss, but they have a better home now. :eek::D

Back