What is the best gun acquisition you have made?

The best deal I got was my 4" SS GP100 for $299.

I would say the best trade I made was a CZ SP01 Phantom for a 1982 2 3/4" Security Six. I would say that the other guy got the better part of that trade if you're just comparing the value of the guns, but after a good amount of use, I decided I didn't care for the Phantom all that much and letting it go for a small loss didn't hurt at all. The Security Six is just butter.

Best deal/value/most pleased with was in the 80s when I got my new Colt Delta Elite. Nobody had them for anywhere less than $500, and even my buddy with his FFL couldn't do better than, IIRC, $530, doing the paperwork for free. Found one at Bill Goodman's Gun & Knife Show in Detroit. Guy must've had a bunch of them, because he was selling them for $425. He sold another to a guy right behind me, and there were several more interested. It has turned out to be one of my favorite guns, and the one I'll hang onto forever, as cited in all those "Last gun you'll give up" threads.

100_0465.jpg

Since you said handgun, it would be my Smith & Wesson Model 12-2. It's the one gun I've finally settled on as my EDC. Six shot, aluminum K-frame, with a Tylers T-grip, it's my idea of a perfect carry gun. I guess I'll keep it.

About 5 years ago I stumbled upon a S&W revolver that was marked as a Model of 1905, 4th Change. I knew it wasn't that but didn't know what it was. I left and came back the next day and took a chance and bought it. Turns out it was a 1937 38/44 Heavy Duty with pre-war magna grips. Price was $270. I think it is worth considerably more than that. Right place, right time.

I bought the 1972 base gun for $450. I then sent if off to Wild West guns for customization. It was my first custom gun and would not trade it for the world. It will be the last one to go even the Les Baer and my Colts would go first.

I had a military overrun M11 with a P229 style rail on it but a P228 stamped slide. The person that owned it before me had BARELY shot it and had the factory put all nickel controls and grip screws on it. GREAT pistol. In my infinite stupidity, I sold it and got my hands on a Springfield Champion Operator that was nice but not special like the P228 was. I really regret selling that SIG.

I have 4 for different reasons.

1. Model 41: I badly wanted one, none new or used (small market) and the gun counter people would buy them and sell them for much higher prices (if S&W found out they would loose their supply as S&W insisted that they be sold no higher than their list). They had a new guy who put it out, I came along before they caught it and had a great discussion with the sleaze guy who popped out and said it was not for sale. I had him but he tried to brazen it out, he looked silly. $168 or so as I recall 70s.

2. Model 57: I had a 44 magnum and bought it, sold the 44. Love the 41, it was the gun I leaned to really shoot with and scored exceptionally high on a Police Course using what I had learned (their gun and wad cutters 38 in the same frame, so it was like shooting a 22)

3. SP2022: I wanted a good HD Semi auto with some target capability and its proven to be steller. Solid and reliable, good ergonomics on the controls and you can't ask more than that.

4. Luger: I was looking at one for too high a price as I just wanted a shooter. I knew little about them but the local expert came in, authenticated it as genuine and a good price. I exchanged a couple of pistols I had not been able to move. It turns out to be more valuable by far than what I paid for and sadly I can't shoot it as breaking a numbered part would wreck the value. I like Lugers and its a funny feeling to have one that valuable (by my standards, its not a world rare one, just a good one with a couple of less common features )

I have reason to like almost every gun purchase. There are a dozen or so that have really brought sheer delight by virtue of fun, reliability, beauty and a bunch of other reasons. I'll pick my HK USP9 as the best, based on reliability (perfect), accuracy (very), price ($400), features (great controls) and of course it's quality. Without doubt the best $400 I've spent on a firearm. :D

I think it would be my Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm. IMO, the DW 1911s are the best buy on the market; no firing pin safety, Ed Brown parts, and the quality, fit, and finish are exceptional. Shoots nice, too!

P1000213_zpsf9bc38f6.jpg

I'd have to say it's my Browning Hi Power. I had been looking for a used one for quite some time, but either found ones beat to death, asking way too much money or both. I happened to be talking to a guy one night and we started talking about guns and I told him what I had been looking for. He mentioned that he had one BNIB that had been setting in his safe for more than 10 years. The next day he brought it to show me...and I ended up taking it home for a hell of a good price.

BHP_02.jpg

Interesting that some interpreted the question to be "which of your guns is your favorite", while others took it to mean "what's the best deal you've made on a gun purchase".

Winchester 1890 pump 22 LR , L & shorts. Received from my father, which my mother bought him for valentines day in 1942. Grew up shooting it

Python Elite for $1500.00 last year!

A 2002 Python Elite LNIB. They guy only shot about a hundred rounds of .38 through it. To heavy for him. He wanted it for a shooting competition. No .357's ever. Asking $1600 I offered $1500 and he gave me all of it including extra Pachmyers grips and case. I have all the paperwork, including the sales bill from McBride's, Austin TX.

Honorable mention is: A NIB Springfield TRP for $650. from a LGS.

BG

Back