What gun would YOU get next?

I would get a Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

7.62x39 is a dying breed, sorry folks, and I know I will get flamed. But as others said, it marginally "out performs" a 5.56.... even the Russians ditched it for a round mimicing a 5.56 NATO. Plus in a true STHF situation in the US... Chances are your friends, neighbors, in laws, local LEO's, and military units will be running around with and or dropping AR's and 5.56NATO ammo. Not to mention the ammo is a tab bit lighter, for packing it long hauls.

I suggest a 10/22 takedown for a few reasons. Everyone NEEDS a .22lr handgun and rifle IMHO. Nothing teaches fundamentals of shooting better, everyone can use one to practice. Two they are just plain fun. Three they are a damn near perfect little SHTF survival rifle with the supplied little case they come with. You can pack in in a pack, and carry your AR as a defensive gun, use the .22lr to hunt game. You can keep it in the discreet pack hidden in a car, because a true SHTF situation, you may not be able to make it back to your neatly organized gun safe. It is perfect for hunting game to survive on, and I don't care what anyone says, a .22lr semi auto rifle CAN be a viable defensive option.

Also if it is a TRUE social order collapse / pandemic, where survival outweights law of the land... and I am not condoning doing this under normal circumstances illegally, but a .22lr is pretty easy to make a makeshift suppressor for to hunt game discreetly, there's plenty of books and youtube videos on the matter.

Again... I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE TO GO MAKE ILLEGAL SUPRESSORS, but in a true SHTF social break down scenario... it is something to be considered.

Because this is in the rifle forum, conspicuous by it's absence in your collection is a scoped 308, or 30-06.
Usefull in an extreme SHTF situation for long range defense, and for getting a large supply of food with one shot. Deer hunting regulations would be my last concern if everything else has collapsed.

Now, because you listed a couple handguns, I'd add a Ruger GP 100, SP101, or some model from S&W in 357 Magnum. Just because everybody needs a 357/38 revolver.:D

Considering I just don't have the room to shoot the higher powered cartridges I'd have to say...if I had my way...an old winchester in the likes of 218 bee. Model 43...I would love to have a poor mans model 70. The model 54. In 30-06 or so. But would have to opt for the lower power for my conditions. (I shoot at home) No affordable range very close.

About the handguns though...IF I had the money I'd look for an affordable S&W K-22. Or maybe a similar Colt DA revolver in 22LR.

My next one is either going to be a Sako A7 Roughtech Range or fully custom build on a Surgeon/Defiant/Bighorn/Stiller action with a Hart/Krieger/Bartlien barrel, Jewell trigger and the rest TBD. Cartridge for the build will be a 7mmRM.

If YOU had the following guns in the safe already:

S&W MOE AR-15
Mossberg 500 12 ga
Kel-tec Sub 2000 (9mm)
Glock 19 (9mm)
Glock 26 (9mm)
Ruger LCP (.380)

what would you get next? Why?

Intended use is occasional recreational shooting but primarily putting together a well-rounded SHTF arsenal.

Dump the Kel-Tec. Replace it with a hunting shotgun.

Pick up a bolt action rifle in 308 Winchester. You could double-up with a AR-10 style rifle in 308 Winchester/7.62x51mm and get a hunting gun and defensive rifle all in one. I would also consider buying an upper for the AR in either 300 Blackout or 458 SOCOM. Add 20 magazines for the AR-15. Buy 20 mags for each handgun.

Add a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger 22/45 to the mix. Consider adding a bolt action 22 also. You can use the Rugers for training and both 22 rifles for small game hunting.

You could also consolidate all rifles into 308 Winchester/7.62x51mm and 22 Long Rifle. However, the military uses 5.56x45mm, so it makes sense to have one. You could purchase a Colt 901 so you can have both 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51 in one gun (different uppers). You could fight, hunt and target shoot with one caliber and minimize your reloading setup.

Personally, I'd end up with this:

S&W MOE AR-15 with 1-4x variable optic or Aimpoint Micro with 3x Magnifier
Mossberg 500 12 ga
Glock 19 (9mm)
Glock 26 (9mm)
Ruger LCP (.380)
S&W M&P 10 with SWFA SS 1-6x optic
Ruger 10/22
Ruger 22/45
Remington 870 with 26" barrel and 3" chamber

If you had to knock it down to two guns, I'd choose the S&W M&P 10 and the Glock 19.

Last edited:
I think you need two: Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Gunsite Scout bolt gun in .308. Keep what you have or not, but a good .22 and a good medium bore are must haves. Personally I like a .22 handgun available when carrying a medium/large bore centerfire rifle and a large caliber handgun when toting a .22 rifle. I like a pump 12ga. with two barrels (18" combat & a hunting barrel). I guess that adds up to five guns I think are necessary.

Anything beyond that is up to your budget and might be better spent on ammo. Not a big AR fan so I can't speak to that because I've never thought I would be involved in a combat situation where AR type weapons would be needed. If I get attacked by a mob or large group I'm probably screwed anyway.

I am done with buying guns free-wheeling. The safe is full, and I will have to sell one before I can buy one. But before this policy was put in place, I had one rifle, the last one, in the pipeline. It is still in my FFL's custody to be drosed. A fn49 in 8mm Mauser. Can't wait.

-TL

Back