What gun would YOU get next?

A .22, but with the hoarding of the last year, the same would happen again. .22 is easy to shoot up and then you have a gun room full of useless metal stick brooms. (My current situation)

So I bailed and bought a compressed air pistol. Just got it and only fired one round - now waiting for pump/ etc. However, in a few purchases, I now have 2500 rounds of .22 ammo! Not as powerful as .22 (i will test soon) but still deadly.

Also, which Revolver would you choose? I have several. 22 revolvers and a lot of .38 and .357. A s.s. S&W 64 .357 or Ruger gp100 .38?

What is the revolver that Rick from W.D. has? I know its Hollywood, but rugged simple reliability is what the revolver is. Would probably outlast a Glock? [edit] - Ok, looked up and is a .357 6" Colt Python.

Last edited:
What do you want the next gun to do?

IMO, all collections should have at least one of each of the following..
1911, model 700, ar15, and 10/22...

I take it you are not a hunter, I have 1 safe just for hunting rifles...

22-250 coyote rifle,12 ga A-400 turkey gun, 12 ga beretta o/u bird gun, 204 varmint gun, 7mm-08 deer rifle, 12 ga rifled deer gun, a 308 big game gun and a 338 long range gun, ect, it that safe alone just in hunting rifles you could have 10, not counting a trap shotgun, skeet shotgun, semi auto clay gun, then everyone should have some sort of tactical shotgun and tactcool sniper rifle, so them will get you up to 15. Dont even get me started on pistols, all collections should be a minimum of 30 guns total... lol...

Seriously though, walk into the gun shop and see what catches your eye...

A couple suggestions:

Glock 17 - its just nice to have the trio, and in SHTF I would rather have the added capacity and sight radius of the 17 vs the 19 since I would probably open carry it anyway. (not knocking the 19, close to the best all around handgun there is)

Some sort of .22 - In an SHTF situation a 22 is a nice "quieter" way to dispatch small game. Personally I would get some sort of bolt gun, but a 10/22 or Marlin Model 60 would be good.

.308 rifle - Lets be honest, you would rather take large game with a nice centerfire than the AR or mossy loaded with slugs. A bolt gun would do, but my choice is my M1A. Accurate, RELIABLE, and do it all. Gives you much more punch at range than an SKS, AR-15 or AK style rifle as well.

Those are my suggestions, take them as you will. I know If I would loading up to take to the hills I would bring (if the space and time was available):

My 2 AR-15's
M1A
Benelli Nova Tact.
HK P30
HK P2k
Bolt action .22

"edit": Just read this after my response

I think I'm gonna get a Springfield M1A Scout Squad. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Excellent call! ;)

Just make sure to get at least one spare USGI extractor.

S&w 41. Magnum nickel finish revolver.
I feel like it could round out the collection & it's fun to shoot no matter the target.

OK.

You asked for it:
I think I'm gonna get a Springfield M1A Scout Squad. Tell me why I'm wrong.
It's still gonna be an extremely loud S.O.B. They are far from inexpensive rifles, so if you can afford to play one, then play well: Just get the National Match version. Did you notice, they advertise that the NM version has a better trigger pull? I know, it would kill you to have a wooden stock, right?

Last edited:
But do what you're gonna do, and I'll step outta the way. Like my friend, Nick, you are hopeless. Why fight it? It's useless to resist. When you get to the point that you need another gun like you need a hole in your head, you'll buy another. Furthermore, when you admit to yourself and your closest friends that you are at that point, and that you are done buying guns; you will buy another, probably within 30 days of your last confession. When you are certain you're done, you will be seduced again.......and again.......Say, your name's not Nick, is it? Not all of us are like that. It's insanity, dude. Enjoy every minute of it. I know Nick does. As far as addictions go, yours is one of the better ones: In the end there will be a substantial pile of hardware that will be worth something, maybe more than original cost. Yeah, think about it as an investment; better than money in the bank! Cheers, Pathfinder.

^^^What just happened here lol?

Also a NM M1A is nice, but when he is talking about an SHTF gun, the scout is more suitable.

But, by all means get the NM next.

I'd go for a .308 caliber battle rifle or AR-based platform. I personally went LR308B, but spent another $500 configuring the gun the way I wanted it. Darn thing has been utterly reliable (had my fingers crossed), and is disgustingly accurate with my handloads (FGMM copy).

Just poking a little fun.......

Just poking a little fun to challenge our whims. In my state, once you buy a new firearm, it magically becomes a used firearm, before it even leaves the store. No refunds. So be sure you want it before you buy it. My buddy regrets puchasing the SOCOM 16. That's a lot of money to spend on buyers remorse. I hope everyone here gets a good one for their next gun.

What doesnt your friend like about the Socom? ^^^

Never been a big fan myself, as I think the scout is the perfect do it all setup.

If it's between getting an M1A or getting a Ruger 10/22 with a generic bolt action .308, get the M1A. Opportunities to get those are going to be rarer than the $200 Ruger 10/22 or a $350 Ruger American in .308.

However, if you were going to spend M1A money on a .22 and a .308 bolt action gun, you could get a lot for your money... say a CZ 452 and 550 with good glass for both (that's the brand I'd be looking at anyways) and your choices become a lot more competitive for the same price.

What doesnt your friend like about the Socom?

Well, if you shoot one a lot it tends to justify the price. But when the novelty wore off it seldom got used. Also, it was finicky with his first attempts to reload for it. I told him that Hornady has a whole section in their manual devoted to the M1A, so I think that's less of an issue now. Did I not say it's loud??? It's painfully antisocial, man. Alright, so I've shot a magazine or two through it and with very good earplugs it's not so bad if you are the shooter or are directly behind, low, and in line with the bore. There we are, shooting high power rifles side by side, 30-'06, 270 Win, 30-30, 308, 44 mag, etc., and all is well and fun. Out comes the SOCOM 16 and I get blown right off the firing line. This is outdoors, in the woods, and I just have to get up and walk away. So, OK, if he wants to shoot that thing, it's better if he's alone. I like being alone more than he does. He gets more enjoyment from other rifles for those reasons. Plus, he could have bought 3 or 4 other rifles for the same price. It's like you think you want something, it builds to a craving, then you must have it, once obtained, it is the jewel of your eye,........for about a month. About the Scout Squad version: It also has a muzzle brake. It's probably no better than the SOCOM 16. If you were my friend and you brought a braked rifle along, we would still be friends. But don't be surprised. If your braked rifle doesn't endear you to everyone at the range. Thinking of introducing a friend or relative to the shooting sports? For best results, leave the brakes at home. Whether you want to believe it or don't even care, your braked, ported guns can be a real turn- off to other shooters. And it's not their fault. Now I've spelled it out for you. I hope I haven't been so brutally honest that it offends anyone. Just know before you buy.

Having gone through this analysis recently myself, I came down to either a Browning BAR in .270 or .380, or the BLR in either of these the same calibers. I really liked the less recoil of the BAR vs. the BLR. But the BLR is like a pump shotgun, simple and effective. The BAR like any semi auto needs to be maintained a bit more (clean), vs a BLR or bolt action. I decided to get a 10 round military surplus bolt action with scope. The price was about 1/4 that of a new BAR, 1/3 the price of a new BLR.

I love the BAR and like the looks of the Benelli R1. Maybe when I hit the Powerball I'll get both.

If it were me with that criteria, in my area I'd be looking for something in .308 or 30-06. Both of those calibers can be found in LARGE amounts, in any Com-mart, meijer and LGS for good prices. But that may not be the case where you are.

I've got the M1A on the short list. But I also keep seeing this little threaded Remington 700 in .300 AAC floating from shelf to shelf at the LGS. That would just BEG for a low power trijicon and a suppressor:)

Or the other rifle on "the list" a 1860 Henry, the original SHTF weapon ;) A Uberti in 44-40, commonality with a bullet diameter size I'm already starting to reload and have tones of components for.

Last edited:
"However, if you were going to spend M1A money on a .22 and a .308 bolt action gun, you could get a lot for your money... say a CZ 452 and 550 with good glass for both (that's the brand I'd be looking at anyways) and your choices become a lot more competitive for the same price."

CZ stopped making the 452 and upgraded it with the model 455. Great gun.

WRT the CZ 550, another excellent gun but the 550 is a long action and CZ tricks out the magazine to accommodate the shorter 308 cartridge. I found it annoying to cycle a long action for a short cartridge and more than once short stroked it. If you go with a 550 get it in one of the standard cartridges like 30-06, 270 or (my choice) 6.5x55.

Anything CZ will be a very accurate rifle and excellent value.

If you have the money and want something less common get a Sauer 202 in 7mm Rem Mag. Ammo is readily available and the Germans just plain know how to make a high-quality scary-accurate firearm. Out of all the rifles I have this is the one I would keep if I had to get down to only one.

Back