What gun would YOU get next?

For a 308 bolt gun, I like the Savage 10 FCP....or whichever has the McMillan stock. ...or the 12 BVSS.....or the 14.

A CZ550 is a nicer traditional gun.

Well, for SHTF purposes, one rifle for each adult in your home.

Looks like a good .308 or .30-06 deer rifle with scope is in order.

A good sportered Enfield or Springfield runs about $400 in the shops. Can't go wrong at that.

Everyone needs a 10/22. Next would be a bolt .308WIN. I would narrow it down to which one but we don't have specifics (budget, weight, etc...).

The reason no one mentioned a specific .308 rifle is that we have no idea what your budget is.

A Savage Axis or Ruger American is probably the low end of the spectrum. Both are capable guns, both can be had for between $300 and $400. You could also spend around $800 or $900 and get a Remington 700. Or you could spend $5000 on a Barrett MRAD. There are a ton of options to choose from.

If it were me, I would NOT buy a "package" or "combo" with a scope, I would save the money and get a nicer scope of my choosing. I would factor in at least $300 to get a quality scope. There's other costs to factor in as well. Will you be hunting or doing any work that requires range estimation? Then you'll probably want a laser rangefinder ($200-300). How about a bipod, and maybe a shooting mat.

So basically, it's all about what you want to spend.

Some reputable brands/models:
Sako/Tikka - Sako's are high end, Tikkas are "made" by the same company, but are cheaper. These may be a bit too "hunter-y" for your liking.
Remington 700 - a trusty classic, highly customizable
Ruger American - a new kid on the block attempting to corner the budget market
Ruger M77 - Ruger higher end bolt gun
Savage - the Axis is the most budget model, but they make rifles to fit every budget
Winchester Model 70 - another trusty classic, also customizable
Weatherby - I believe this is also a budget brand of another company, but I don't really know.
CZ - they make a lot of interesting guns, but I don't know much about their bolt guns, but I would check them out if I were looking to buy.

I'm confused by your tactics

my bad :o sorry about that . I looked at title and guns in post and thought I knew . oops but part of my post still helps . 10/22 cus there fun and after market stuff is endless ;)

I'd add that my first guns were a 10/22 and a 12ga . Your asking what would each of us get if we had ? We all like to shoot different things and in different ways . You seem to like 9mm and small guns . I like long guns and most are very heavy . Aside from the 10/22 I'd get a Savage 10 in 308 . something with out the accu-stock . I have a couple Savages and the after market stocks are much easier to find for the non accu-stock models but there are more and more around . If you don't care to shoot 1000yds then I'd go with a 20' heavy barrel .

If your looking to reach out to longer ranges I'd stick with the Savage but maybe go with the 260 Rem . Two reasons for that . It's a great round and when push comes to shove you can neck down a 308 case to 260 . That makes brass very available when times get tough .

Last edited:
OK, you like the ones you have and will keep them. I only said what I did because of the way you asked your first question. So, to be more helpful, you have mentioned a 308 bolt gun, a sensible choice, it's almost as good as a 30-'06 or 270........ I would go with a Winchester model 70 Classic in blued steel with real Walnut. But I'm getting the feeling that you might rather have stainless steel and a synthetic stock. What's your Mossberg like? Classic waterfowl or tacticool plastic? If it's the latter, then you probably wouldn't care for classic model 70. At this point, I'm guessing you would be much happier with a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle. Here's the link:http://www.ruger.com/mobile/products/6822.html. I wouldn't have one, but that's irrelevant. It's probably a pretty good rifle......for somebody else. My main shooting buddy likes all that kind of stuff too, but I still like him. Again, you need a good 22 rimfire. You mentioned SHTF, whatever that means. If we were to go into an economic shutdown and general failure of the society we have been accustomed to, it's very likely that a reliable 22 rifle with a decent supply of ammo may be the most useful of firearms, feeding you while others that are, "better armed", go hungry for lack of a better small game rifle. That's how I'd look at it. Rather than preparing for war, how 'bout a little more self reliance in general? I saw a bumper sticker back in the 70's: "They can take my woodstove when they pry it from my warm dead fingers."

Last edited:
ckpj99 wins for most helpful post. Many of the guns you mentioned are on my short list.

Pathfinder: You got me, I have a more tactical leaning than you. That certainly doesn't mean my choices are somehow not as good. I'm glad that what you have works for you, but they are not my choices and would not work for me. I stand by what I own and many of the "tacticool" features are quite useful. My mom refuses to learn new technologies because she's stuck in her ways, so I get where you're coming from.

Bottom line: Yes, I need a .22LR. Yes, I need a larger caliber (.308 is my choice). Semi vs bolt is the real question. Remington 700 SPS Tac (yes Tac) is looking pretty good.....

From many people here, you'll hear horror stories about trading away a gun that became a collector piece or selling their [fill in the blank] and having to wait years and visit a shaman on top of a mountain to replace it. There's huge pressure to pick something that you can keep forever and never replace.

I've found this tactic to be untrue. I've sold and traded my way through a variety of guns. On the rifle front, I started with a 10/22, but then inherited an older Springfield .22, so I sold my 10/22. Somewhere around that time I bought Mosin Nagant (a really nice hex receiver version). It was fine, but not what I wanted and I traded it, and bought an SKS. SKS rifles are ok, too, however not very accurate. Got rid of my SKS and bought a Marlin 336. The Marlin was also a great gun, but it was fussy. When it wanted to be accurate, it was really accurate, but about half the time it didn't want to be accurate. Now I own a Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70 made in 1888, and we'll see how that goes.

I've done the same thing (to a lesser extent) with my handguns. I'm slowly learning what I like and the types of shooting I like to do. Unless, you have a million dollars and can just keep buying guns, trading and selling is a great way to figure out what you like.

And now I've put thousands of rounds downrange through a variety of weapons. During my first trip to the range with my 45-70, I put down a group just over 2" group offhand at 50 yards. I've learned the mechanics and fundamentals, which is WAY more important than what guns you own.

I was invited out to a farm to shoot with this group of engineers. They all had money and nice guns, but I outshot everyone of them, often with their own rifles. I was making shots offhand that they could barely make off the bench. I always want to spend my money on ammo and range time instead of a new gun. Just something to think about. Good luck with your search.

looks like you've got the evil black nato stuff down. now it's time to get the easily acquired commie stuff for the aforementioned banned discussion topic. something in 7.62x39 would be good. may I suggest an SKS? I've had much better results with the SKS than the AK. there is also the AR15 in 7.62x39, I like both options, the AR obviously has more customization options, the SKS is way cheaper.

hmmm... I have been lusting after an M1A for some time... that would be difficult for me... all the M1 garand feel without enblocs and weight... toughie...

personally I love 10/22s but 22 is hard to find and all the hoarders have ruined it for everyone that likes to just plink around with them. 308 is a take it or leave it cartridge for me so a bolt action 308 does not interest me at all. the only reason I would get a M1A in 308 is nobody makes on in 243, 7mm-08 or 260.

between the two, I would go M1A

Well, because of my friend, I have had opportunities to try out a lot of things, gun-wise, that are outside of what I would choose for myself. So, the M1A, ......he's got the SOCOM 16 version. I think I could like the full sized walnut stocked M1A, especially if it was accurate, like National Match version. But that short barreled SOCOM 16 is ungodly loud; I mean painfully loud. A simple 30-30 is so much more pleasant. Just to let you know before you buy. My friend has an SKS with a synthetic stock that fits actual American males; it takes 30 round detachable mags. You would almost certainly like it. But it's kind of a build-it-yourself project. Even I kinda liked it a little, (Did I really say that?), but I wouldn't trade a Winchester for one.

thom's thumb said:
Intended use is...primarily putting together a well-rounded SHTF arsenal.

thom's thumb said:
please specify exactly what rifle you would choose. Being that vague is not all that helpful.

I'm not much for SHTF fantasies, but I agree with others who've pointed out that you need a.22LR rifle. It may not be exciting, but it's why I would pick.

My specific pick would be a CZ452 Military Trainer - the CZ452 is a great platform, and the Trainer can be used with just it's great irons sights or can be scoped. Add a good sling, throw a 10-round mag in your pack, and you've got a great all-arounder.

Springfield M1A or an AR10 from a reputable manufacturer. The AR will be much easier to scope and mags are cheaper. It may be more accurate as well. If you really want to pony up some cash a SCAR 17 would be pretty cool. Make sure you have money set aside for mounts, optics, mags, and ammo.

Back