If YOU had the following guns in the safe already:

S&W MOE AR-15
Mossberg 500 12 ga
Kel-tec Sub 2000 (9mm)
Glock 19 (9mm)
Glock 26 (9mm)
Ruger LCP (.380)

what would you get next? Why?

Intended use is occasional recreational shooting but primarily putting together a well-rounded SHTF arsenal. Geography is mostly suburban surrounded by rolling, wooded hills.

Kind of looks like you need a bigger rifle. Ever thought of playing in the fun world of 7.62 x 39? I have an sks that's fun at the range and these days they make a good deal of aftermarket options for them. They're short, cost about $6 for 20 rounds and was made for SHTF.

Of course I notice you don't have a 22lr either.

.44 magnum lever action or bolt action in 30-06 or 270, both of which seemed available when ammo was more difficult to find.

Last edited:
Before you jump on the 7.62x39 bandwagon (and don't get my wrong, it a pretty good wagon to be on), you should consider that the round is only a bit better than 5.56/.223 when you consider the wide range of cartridges available.

5.56 produces about 1300 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle, while 7.62x39 produces around 1600 ft lbs of energy.

.308 on the other hand produces 2800 ft lbs. The "old fashioned" 30-30 round, which many say is a baseline for deer hunting can produce close to 2000 ft lbs with jacketed bullets.

I'm not saying that 7.62x39 isn't worth having, and it is a bit different than the round your AR fires, I'd probably go with something MORE different for now.

And frankly, I'd base my decision more on how I was shooting what I already have. I see tons of guys with tricked out ARs at my range that blast away at 20 and 30 yards and produce groups that look like buckshot. Any decent AR will be pretty accurate. With even a little bit of intentional, well-directed practice, you should be able to produce fist sized groups at 50 yards (while standing, unsupported) with no problem.

If you have strong marksmanship skills, get a bolt gun (308 most likely since you seem to lean toward "tactical" firearms) so you're arsenal can reach out farther. If you're marksmanship skills need some work, get a 10/22 so you can put a lot of rounds downrange without spending a fortune.

^This.

I'd get a .308, either bolt or semi. Something easy to scope. As much as I love my M1A I'd say it's out. If you're willing to pony up the cash for a quality mount though an M1A Scout or SOCOM wouldn't be a terrible idea. Add a little more range and punch to your tool box while keeping it handy enough for close up work.

Also an 18" bbl AR10 would probably serve you well.

Or a Savage .308 bolt gun.

Last edited:
I would start from scratch, since you have nothing I would choose, except, possibly, the 12 gauge pump. Even that would be replaced by a model 12 Winchester. So, starting from scratch, the basics: A large caliber single action revolver. A 22LR rimfire rifle or carbine. A scoped bolt action 270 Winchester or 30-'06. A 12 gauge pump shotgun. That's it. It's fine to have others, but the basics come first. Clearly, we all have different priorities; mine are way different from yours. I don't have anything that would be considered to be a combat weapon. Only traditional hunting arms are interesting to me. But to each, their own. It's odd, though, that you don't have a 22.
P.S. A good lever action centerfire might substitute for the bolt gun in some regions.

Last edited:
Pathfinder45

I would start from scratch, since you have nothing I would choose, except, possibly, the 12 gauge pump. Even that would be replaced by a model 12 Winchester. So, starting from scratch, the basics: A large caliber single action revolver. A 22LR rimfire rifle or carbine. A scoped bolt action 270 Winchester or 30-'06. A 12 gauge pump shotgun. That's it. It's fine to have others, but the basics come first. Clearly, we all have different priorities; mine are way different from yours. I don't have anything that would be considered to be a combat weapon. Only traditional hunting arms are interesting to me. But to each, their own. It's odd, though, that you don't have a 22.
P.S. A good lever action centerfire might substitute for the bolt gun in some regions.

i'm like pathfinder45. but i have my own safe, so this is what i'll tell you.... 500s&w in tc encore with a 23" mgm heavy factory barrel. it will have a royal jacardi laminate stock along with a limbsaver recoil pad.

Well I certainly won't be selling any of my firearms. Although you don't like my current choices, I do. They work very well for my applications.

Everyone has their own opinion, but some of you ned to be more specific in your suggestions.

For those that said .308 bolt or .308 semi, please specify exactly what rifle you would choose. Being that vague is not all that helpful. I obviously have a few rifles I'm looking closely at...

Well from your list you should already have at least 3 of them ! G19 , AR - S&W , PSA , Colt and a 12ga Moss or Win . So to answer your question , get all 3 of those in any order then lets talk about your next gun . The next one should be a 22lr if not the first one you get . Which one ? 10/22 !!!!

As for the 7.62x39 , I'd never have that as my SHTF rifle . All that ammo is imported and steel cased . If things got real bad . Do you think we will still be importing 7.62 ammo . That stuff will dry up and with the steel cases your not reloading it .

"Well from your list you should already have at least 3 of them ! G19 , AR - S&W , PSA , Colt and a 12ga Moss or Win . So to answer your question , get all 3 of those in any order then lets talk about your next gun"

:confused:

The list of what I have is in the original post, and includes much of what you just mentioned.

I'm confused by your tactics

"Sell the AR, and get two AKs, a 10/22, and a decent .22 pistol."

Sigh...

Not going to sell any of my guns. I like them all.

If you're going to suggest a firearm, please state why.

For those that said .308 bolt or .308 semi, please specify exactly what rifle you would choose. Being that vague is not all that helpful. I obviously have a few rifles I'm looking closely at...

Anti-materiel .50, m107 /M82A1
You have most of the bases covered, the addition of a .50 will stop almost anything in a real SHTF scenario where cartel / SWAT like units sweep broad areas, blasts through body armor and light armored vehicles, and most any wall or hide, with very significant standoff range.

Garand.

Amazing piece of history, ammo available anywhere (gas plug), crazy fun to shoot, mild recoil, improves your iron sight skills.

PING!

Last edited:
Back