What do you YELL!

What about the bystanders. If a women has her 4 year old kid with her and is close to you, then shooting the woman with the knife may also permanently damage the hearing of the girl. Someone standing on the other side of the knife wielding women may not know to remove himself from the line of fire because something was not yelled to warn them. Since it was a mall, how about the propane tanks on sale that are behind the knife wielder?

Sure, if the person had a gun, then the proper thing to do is to shoot. But when it is a knife or a baseball bat, then when is prudence required to protect the safety of others from your reactions versus the borderline immediate threat that may be handled without a discharge? (when I say "borderline immediate threat" I mean the difference of having a split second to react compared to a few seconds).

I am not trying to make a statement, but these are honest questions from one who has no training or experience.

to batman, yea, i was thinking in the premise of no retreat. if you have that element of surprise it probably most wisely would be used to step back and call someone else to use force so that you're not at risk at all.

Holy cow folks ??? Some of these responses are just PC to a point that is unbelieveable ...Hell, just hand your gun to the perp and let him shoot you, and tell him he is responsible for any collateral damage done to Mary Beths hearing, damage to Sears Craftman chainsaws and the hole in Starbucks coffee pot......I am sure the perp will have second thoughts and turn over a new leaf in his life...get real........

Allright let me put it a different way. If an 8 year old kid was standing behind the woman with a knife, would you shoot immediatley, of would you yell for the kid to move first? If you were surrounded by explosives, would you think twice about blowing yourself up with an overpenetration of a miss? How is it that worrying about innocent people getting hurt, shot, or blown up being PC? Sounds like it is something that should be considered during training. I am not suggesting that this be thought of after the situation has arisen because that would be as silly as you suggest it is, but I am talking about things that might be addressed before hand so that terrible results do not occur to people that the concealed carry permit holder has as much of a responsibility to protect.

In the CCW class I took, the instructor suggested yelling in order to open up your breathing pipes and take control.

His opinion was that police officers yell when they're in a dangerous confrontation as a means of (aside from identification) making sure they're breathing and aggressive.

I've never been in a situation, and I assume most of you (or my instructor) haven't either. But, given the stress of such an event, it's not unreasonable to think that panic might hit you. A bit like anticipating the big drop on a roller coaster??

To me it sounds like yelling would let the attacker know you're serious, and it may even be intimidating (depending on what your voice sounds like--if you've got a football-coach voice, then all the better). Yelling might also alert bystanders to the situation.

Another thought from my class was that if you have to pull out your weapon, be prepared to use it lethally. Don't worry about a fair fight at that point--win at all costs. Victims don't have to be fair, they just have to stay alive.

Protecting others who are victims is legal where I live, even if you don't know them.

Sorry folks,
I'm with SuperHornet.

You are getting waaaayyyy to anal on this. :barf:
Take the best shot you can get, under the best condition you can get and stop whizzing :eek: in your britches.

You can what if and what if and what if till the end of eternity and never get anywhere. Shoot the BG till they are not capable of being a threat and get on with living. :cool:

Sam
P.S.
Bushwhack 'em, never give a bad guy/gal an even break!

Last edited:
I am gonna make you a 147(294 if you are gonna shoot twice) grains havier!!!!!! Ask me how!!!!! :p JK
To those who say to shoot without a warning. Don't you think you can stop/end the bad guy threat without shooting but by just warning him.

In my very humble opinions there are simply too many variable to give a pat answer.
What’s the distance? Dennis Tueller made the 21-foot rule a starting point. Many folks and departments are now saying 30 feet is a more realistic range at which to engage someone armed with a knife.

How crowded is the mall? Remember, you are accountable for the terminal resting point of every projectile you launch down range.

Making holes in a one-dimensional piece of paper at a known distance is a lot different than what will probably actually happen. If the BG is facing you belt buckle to belt buckle and not doing anything, you have no reason to shoot. In real life, the BG is probably moving away, towards you, or laterally. Have you practiced on moving targets enough to ensure a hit?

You probably should be moving, if not to make yourself a harder target, then to get a better angle on the BG without hitting an innocent person. Have you practiced moving while shooting at a target that is also moving? It’s a tad harder than the silver screen would have us believe, and this is not even taking into account panicking innocents who may be fleeing though your field of fire.

If you have the luxury of time and distance, yelling commands may or may not help in court later. Based on my experience and watching hundreds of students in classes, shooting on the move while trying to engage a target that is also moving, and simultaneously shouting commands while still trying to watch the front sight and control the trigger usually results only in making small, temporary holes in the atmosphere which immediately fill themselves back in.

Just my .02

Denny

Being from Detroit, I would pull my gun with my right hand, put out my left hand, palm out, and yell "STOP....in the name of looooooove...."

I just finished the CHL course for Texas which was done by a local Sheriffs Dept.

The instructor who is a law enforcment officer gave us some very simple criteria for deciding to draw your pistol.

If he felt his life or another persons life was in immediate danger

he said all he would do is say STOP!

and that the trigger would be pulled as soon as stop was said

and his comment to us

is that the bullet you fire has your name on it once it leaves the barrel......and hits someone

Mas Ayoob recommends "DON'T MOVE" - it's easier to bellow that at the top of your lungs than "stop or you drop!" and has more of a plosive character than "freeeeze."

Back