What do you YELL!

Just a couple of thoughts here. I'm not sure what the story about a mall stabbing was all about -- I didn't see/hear it -- but I can imagine given some of the whackjobs out there today.

First, what to yell. What works for me is simple;

STOP! Don't Move!

Now to the scenarios;
1. Someone stabbing one or more people in the mall. You're there, armed and the person looks like they're going to continue injuring others.
If the threat looks imminent - i.e. the attacker is headed for someone, do your duty as quickly and effectively as you can without endangering others. No time for a warning.

2. Same as above but the attacker is looking around for another victim as people are moving away and/or attacker is headed to the exit.
My view is that if they're headed to the exit, let them exit, follow them and THEN confront them outside. Otherwise, yell the above while fixing the front sight COM. If they comply, the next order is to "drop the [weapon]" followed by Get on the ground NOW!. Failure to comply will probably result in serious injury.

3. Crowded mall - attack in progress or just finished.
You may need to yell EVERYONE DOWN, NOW! to clear the area as best you can whilst taking aim. Obviously decsions will be based on circumstances, the reaction of the mall-walkers, etc. Don't forget that you can move too, so move to the point where you have the least likelihood of hitting someone beyond your primary target.

All of the above apply only to attackers using a weapon other than a firearm. If the attacker is using a firearm there is no point, IMO, of attempting to verbally stop them. Observe enough to know that you are not drawing on another CCW carrier who's interrupted a different crime. Visually check to see if they have backup in the crowd. If you are sure you have a BG in the act, stop them as quickly as you can. Then prepare to spend a looonnng time talking to the cops.

I'd say a "Drop it!", with gun drawn should do it. If that doesn't work, a hip shot would hopefully immobilize the attacker. Hopefully, a bullet that didn't expand immediately in the attacker might fragment on the floor.

Not to pick on anyone, but when I read a post like this, I am reminded that hope is not a strategy - Plan your reactions to this kind of event and do your best while recognizing that no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy..

Reminds me of an old joke I heard about 30 years ago....
During the trial, the LEO stated that he'd yelled, "Police officer! Freeze!"
The witness stated it sounded more like, "April Fool, M*****F*****!!!"

Why waste your breath? :D

You can practice all you want, but not everything is that conditioned. I spent the first two weeks of jump school counting when we simulated exiting the plane. What did I say when I exited the plane for real the first time? "S**************t!" :D

There may be circumstances where you would say something .Keep it simple ,one word, STOP or FREEZE. Don't expect him to respond he may , as one friend found out, be loaded with drugs or alcohol and not understand. If he has a gun in his hand you are in IMMEDIATE danger and should shoot not talk.

Warning ? Orders?

Two perspectives both make sense:

1. SHOOT the Perp if (under the Tueler Drill theory) the threat has the knife out (in this case, with blood already on it !!) and is within range;

2. COMMAND the Perp to "Stop now or I'll Shoot." "Get on the Ground on your Face, Arms out to the side, spread eagle", and hold the Perp at gunpoint until the police arrive.

Either way you slice it, there will be witnesses and police reports and investigators second-guessing you after things have calmed down. So considering in advance how exactly you'll handle something like that is part of good Situational Awareness (in my book).

Steve Krystek and I have the Cover Story article -- coming out very soon in Volume 2 issue 5 of Concealed Carry Magazine (www.concealedcarrymag.com) and it addresses this process of 'thinking through' in advance what to expect, and how things will be handled etc. The title is called "After the Shooting Stops - the Aftermath of a Lethal Encounter"

I strongly urge every one of us to think through scenarios such as this. Daily carry makes it a duty as far as I am concerned.

Whichever of the options you choose above at the top, be prepared to follow through without suffering the 'Paralysis of Analysis'. Think it through and commit to yourself what you'd do. Carrying a firearm is serious business and moving to draw commits you to one course of action or another. You must be prepared and you must think it through in advance.

Well, I guess we should be glad that this forum exists for macho chest-thumping, maybe it keeps some of that sort of thing out of the real world. :p

IF you were in a situation where you had to draw your weapon and point at a BG (Because said BG was about to assualt, rob, rape etc. your wife, SO, friend etc.) AND you felt compelled to warn before you fire (perhaps because the mall is full of folks milling about or some other reason)

Those really don't go together. If the assault is really imminent, you don't have time to do anything but draw and shoot until the threat is gone.

IF you were in a situation where you had to draw your weapon and point at a BG (Because said BG was about to assualt, rob, rape etc. your wife, SO, friend etc.) AND you felt compelled to warn before you fire (perhaps because the mall is full of folks milling about or some other reason)

What do you YELL?

Lots of good, well-thought-out responses provided, and really good discussions about why one should or should not provide a verbal warning, or what the contents of the warning should be. Lots to think about.

But the scanario as given does not give me a lot of time to think about what I should or could or would do. And some of the responses seem to have missed a very important piece of the scenario.

First of all, if the BG was about to anything, I would not be thinking about pulling iron. I would be yelling things like "Look out!" "Behind you (On your (left)(right)!" or "Hey, MoFo, what do you think you are doing?"

If the assault were taking place, it probably comes down to some sort of adrenalin-releasing war cry before, during and/or after trigger press, followed by a perhaps less high-volumed "Would some person please be so good as to telephone 9-1-1 and summons assistance to the scene?" Either that or a rather lengthy semon directed at the recently deceased concerning his behavior, parentage, offspring, and how he will be spending the rest of eternity.

stay safe.

skidmark

Good point Skidmark.

Castle Bravo - I've got to disagree with you. The FBI agent at the scene was able to draw his weapon and intimidate the assailant without further bloodshed. A well trained civilian with a CC weapon should be able to do the same.

I dont think its as black and white as - if you have to draw your weapon you must use it. We are not in the middle ages.

In fact, the statistics show that in most CC vs BG encounters - 91% of the time a shot is NOT fired. The BG runs away or surrenders at the presentation of the weapon.

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/framedex.html

YO! BILLY IDOL! REBEL YELL BRO!

Just kidding.
There has been great information on what to yell and not yell.
I think skidmark tied it up pretty well.

FWIW, when I took my CCW class, the instructor taught us to yell if at all possible. Just "STOP!" or "DROP IT" or something like that.

If the perp stops, its your lucky day. You don't have to shoot anyone. You don't have to go to court and get sued by the family, etc.

If the perp doesn't stop, you stop him. You plan on going to court and getting sued, etc. Which is another reason that you only draw if its life or death.

to jump around a bit too, to address some of the questions raised here, i'm definitely in agreement that you're not just "playing cop" by issuing a verbal warning prior to the utilization of deadly force. there are a variety of situations that it would be wise to draw your weapon but not immediately fire. basically any situation where the potential exists for greivous bodily harm would suggest your weapon should be drawn. but if it's not being inflicted or absolutely and indisputably about to be, you probably shouldn't just start shooting. even without obvious bodily harm as a factor... here's an example you walk into your house and see an intruder, and you have the drop on him. you don't know if he's armed but he's certainly not pointing a gun at you. do you a) pull, start shooting, find out it was your aunt setting up your surprise party in the dark after the fact, b) say "hey what are you doing" and ruin your element of surprise, allowing the quicker-drawing BG to smoke you AND get your collector's edition DVD of "the princess diaries," or c) draw your weapon so you are prepared for whatever but hold off on blasting until you make sure that your aunt made that liver dish you hate and deserves it.

I like to yell..."finally, Finally, FINALLY!!!!" or, since I have watched way too many John Wayne movies...I try to do my version of an Apache War Cry...which really freaks them out, because I am Korean!!

/edit: In response to clark's new question: /edit end

Although this is a direct hijack of thread.

Depends on what state you are in.
Here in MN, I would have to retreat the same way I came in and call the Policia. (after drawing my gun just in case he turns around and has one also)

In the state of Texas and now FL - I would draw my gun and observe.
Make sure I am in the correct position to be at an advantage - being aware if there is more than 1 - making sure his buddy didn't just see me come in and have the drop on me.

In either situation, if someone else is with me, or my fiance is with me, I would motion them to go back the way they came and call policia.

Don't say anything,
Never give away a tactical advantage like surprise, the most important advantage you can have.
I am not in competition with the FBI, not trying to intimidate, wheedle or cajole, and not trying to take anyone into custody, just saving a life.
The only reason to shoot. It has nothing to do with the dark ages, I don't draw unless I have already comitted to a course of action.

Sam

I spent thirty three years in the military terminating Commies for Christ and haved carried a CW for the last sixteen years as a civilian. And never had to draw it.. I'm not a Dirty Harry playing at cops and robbers. In some places I have seen just how evil humans can be. If the first thought that enters your mind while you are armed is, "I hope I don't get sued if I have to use this gun", please leave your weapon home or in the car. If I had to draw the weapon, the situation has already reached 90% of the point of no return. If there is time to converse, only four small words are necessary directed at the attacker. See you in Hell......

Back