What do you carry when you can't carry a gun?

I have found that a vigilant state of mind and psychotic facial expressions tend to keep evil doers at bay. They don't want to deal with anyone who appears more sadistic than themselves.

Non lethal weapons, defense devices, cool gadgets...

If a loaded firearm and/or BUG(back up gun) isn't handy or allowed, there are a few gadgets & devices that could be used in a CQB event or critical incident.
Many savvy license holders & armed professionals carry these items with sidearms too, :cool:.

OC spray, I have the small Mk III size Sabre Red Crossfire now but I may upgrade to the Mk IV size & buy the Vexor microspin brand from Zarc or Cold Steel's Inferno. Sprays & Mace are not ideal but they can be better than shouting or hand claps. :rolleyes:
A tactical white light or flashlight(Fenix, Surefire, 5.11 ATAC, Maglight, etc). The new bright type have strobes(cool way to distract or disorient a attacker) and they can be used to alert security/sworn LE officers in a emergency. New designs are light, compact & long wearing.
A folder knife or small fixed blade. Knives are always handy & can assist you in a critical event(Ka-Bar TDI, Benchmade, CRKT, Blackhawk-MoD, Ernest Emerson, Gerber, William Henry, Cold Steel, Buck, Kase, Stryer, etc). Some like the Spiderco blades, I do not. :D
Leatherman, Gerber & a few others make Swiss Army type multi-tools. I purchased a Leatherman tool in 1990 & used it often in my armed forces enlistment. New styles are great & have many useful tools.
Finally, I'll add a new tactical item; the defense pen. These run anywhere from $5.00 to $200.00, :eek:. There are many pens with cool gadgets & add-ons but Id use the KISS(keep it simple stupid) method. I do like the Uzi pen with the hidden handcuff key, ;). The best well engineered brands that I could buying include the John Williams model by CRKT or the Tuff Writer Operator sterile version(no logos or marks). The type that break auto glass or can tear-rip the skin(get DNA) have merit. Tuff Writer Operator pens look high-speed, low drag & could be great for outdoor uses(job sites, EP details, special events).
The KAMA pen & the Uzi models are good too. I got a Uzi(sharp crown type, grey) for a good friend who does RE/legal work in New York City. He leaves it on his desk, :rolleyes:.

ClydeFrog
www.coldsteelarizona.com www.crkt.com www.qmuniforms.com www.policehq.com www.galls.com www.uscav.com www.surfire.com www.thinkgeek.com www.tuffwriter.com www.bladeHQ.com www.blackhawk.com www.williamhenrystudios.com www.ernestemerson.com

If at all possible I carry my butt back to my car!
I had to show ID and surrender my wallet and all pocket contents at a courthouse awhile back. Rentacop looked at my CHL and made a disparaging remark, something about not being armed. I told him if I needed a gun I'd come back and get his. I knew the sheriff's deputy standing behind him, he almost hurt himself trying not to laugh. Poor young feller didn't like my tone but was smart enough to drop the subject.
So yes, situational awareness. Improvised weapons and a willingness to do what it takes to neutralize a threat. Seems there are always guns in gun-free zones, even if i can't carry one.

Correction...

William Henry Knives are here; www.williamhenrystudio.com . ;)

Also, ASP now markets smaller, personal size impact weapons(batons) but Id advise against them for general carry. A impact weapon could be useful to a sworn LE officer or licensed security officer but it may be illegal in some areas for the general public. The same goes with EDWs/Tasers, www.taser.com . The C2 Taser may be worth it but check all local-state laws or ordinances.

ClydeFrog

A Kershaw knife utilizing their speed safe opening system. I carry the plain edged Kershaw Clash. This could be easily carried in a suit pocket. I love this knife.

Haven't read everything, but thought I'd add what I usually have with me, whether I'm carrying or not.

Tactical Flashlight - Bright white light and can be used as a striking weapon
Folding Knife - Benchmade Griptillian, to be exact
Tactical pen - Cool looking pen, and striking weapon

If I'm flying...all I usually have is the light as the other objects are prohibited. However, as soon as I land, I get everything I can legally have out of my checked luggage and put it on.

I have problems with spending large amounts of money on knives and melee weapons. I prefer to pay 100 or less for them in any case.

But my edc knife is a 25 dollar buck medium bantam folder. Its light, sharp and easily deployable.I have owned 5 of them in different finishes and they have never failed. I only need to get a new one if i misplace one of my others.

I also carry some older winchester folders as back ups. This is while carrying a gun (99% of the time)as well as the incredibly rare times that i do not carry a concealled handgun.

A tactical flashlight is also on my person 24/7 365.

I shall use the harshest words possible and rebuke them loudly until they give up the attack on my person. Once that is done I will convince them to accompany me to the nearest police station to make restitution for their evil deeds.

I've carried a pocket knife daily since I was in college and my dad gave me a small folder. As SD knives have improved, so has the knife I carry ... my favorite is the Spyderco Native, but I have serveral assisted openers in the 3-inch range which share time with that knife ...

These days its all about concealment as our right to carry is being squashed by tyrants,
I think the best made and affordable blades are the Cold Steel Espada series, in various lengths
sunaj

My Canadian canes (the ones with that clip onto my forearms). Gives me lots of reach, allows me to use my hands without loosing the canes. A Sikes/Fairborn folder. In my vehicle a 5 pound ABC Dry Chemical fire extinguisher.

Usually nothing special. But I do have a cane I made that has a 1" hickory shaft and a heavy brass head. I don't need a cane (yet, I'm 74) but at my age it would look appropriate. It could smash skulls or break bones. Also have a stout 'persuader' in the truck with a large knife and CS spray. Also sometimes carry a quick open Boker Matic knife on occasion. Mainly try to be alert to situational awareness.

my witts a good one hand open knife & a karambit, i have a few
, for quick effective cuts, nothing beats it. The ring on the end is JUST as effective as a brass knuckle hit. I have a smaller neck knife version, all are very solid one piece designs.Very strong.

Back