What do you carry when you can't carry a gun?

LCP. :)

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about places where it is not legal to carry (because then I don't) ...just talking about places where I cannot dress around a "real" gun.

I usually have a knife and multi tool but doubt I would ever use either for self defense. The only places I go where I can not carry there are armed people around that I trust.

Benchmade Griptillian, tanto half serated, 3.5" blade. Pull down on spring loaded button, flick, click!

City stick, as in CA. Very light, more or less unbreakable! Gets us on first on a plane, do have some old injury's to make it legit!

Slash with knife, or cane. Bayonet strike to sternum with the cane, game over.

A stout cane of dense wood or practically anything that can be used as a club is a better defensive weapon than a knife.
If you swing with authority and they manage to block then you'll have likely disabled one of their arms. The pain of being struck with a heavy object is much greater than a more serious wound with a knife.

Connect with the skull and they will be dazed, while a slash to the face may hurt and frighten, a cracked skull is far more likely to disable.
A cane gives much greater reach than a knife and while you can block or divert a knife thrust with a cane, you aren't likely to divert a thrust or blow from a cane with a knife.

I used to own a sword cane, but since this was as much a deadly weapon as a pistol would be, and probably illegal almost everywhere in the U. S., I gave it away.

They used to sell a very neat small folding hatchet that would fit in a back pocket. I always wanted one of those.
I have a folding pocket saw that opens with a flick of the wrist and locks securely, that would make some guesome and extremely painful slashing wounds.

I'm looking for something small, effective easy, quick to deploy that can be kept in a suit.
A roll of quarters comes to mind. Tape the ends.
A stout cane of dense wood or practically anything that can be used as a club is a better defensive weapon than a knife.
Tightly rolled newspaper to about 1.5 inch diameter used as a poker/roll of quarters, is handy.

Cold Steel XL Voyager. always clipped on my jeans . I stay out of Federal buildings and court houses. That what I have a wife and 3 daughters for .

I tend to dress to where I can always carry. But I also carry my Bear Grylls knife as well.
Having said that, I believe some of my 4" heels would be considered a weapon.... lol
But I like to rely on a heightened sense of awareness to my surroundings and my brains first and foremost. Everything else I consider accessories.

a CRKT ripple folding knife always. pepper spray when we're bike riding, in case of aggressive dogs, rather discourage them than shoot them. People too for that matter.

What do I carry?

Hands and feet mostly. Been in martial arts since college back in the '70s.

I guess, this being Texas, I could pack my Blackjack knife. It's a 5.45 inch fixed blade fighter (they don't make it anymore.) See a fixed blade has many advantages over a folder and in Texas the legal limit is below 5 1/2 inch. Hence the 5.45 inch (measured with capers from tip to hilt.)

And I might add pepper spray to that to.

Deaf

When I can't carry a gun what I carry is, less money than it would be worth someones time to steal. Though, I carry that when I do have a gun too.
Also, I guess a pocket knife - though the prospect of getting in a knife fight seems less appealing to me than throwing someone my wallet.
Like a lot of other people have said, I think attitude's most important - just be a less appealing target than the guy a block behind you, and you'll be all set.

This thread actually raised some questions for me.
For those of you that carry multiple knives: Is the plan to use more than one at a time?
Having been in a fight or two - though thankfully never one involving knives - it seems like keeping a hand free to grab your attacker with would be a good thing. It also seems like having something sharp attached to both hands at the same time is just asking to cut yourself.
Or is the idea that if you have a knife in every pocket one will always be in reach?
On that front, I just have a hard time imagining a place that I'd have better/faster access to than my front right pocket. Also I'd be worried that keeping a knife in the same pocket as my phone would risk scratching the screen.

I'm trying hard to keep an open mind to the idea, I just can honestly say I've never felt the need to carry more than one knife - at least when I'm not hunting.

Where I work at I am not allowed to carry even a pocket knife. Not even allowed to have one in my car. I carry my wits with me where I go. My gun never makes me feel more secure when I carry it. Bad things happen to people regardless of if they have a weapon or not. When I carry I act the same as if I were not carrying one at all. It keeps me from getting into situations, and from going places I would not have if I did not have it on me.

Nothing i don't feel that threatened to need to.

I don't carry because I "feel threatened." If I felt threatened about a place or situation, I would avoid it. I don't think my house is going to burn down but I carry fire insurance. I don't think anyone is going to try to break into my house tonight but I already have locked the doors.

I am sure those teachers and students at Sandy Hook didn't feel threatened either.

I believe some of my 4" heels would be considered a weapon

Back in my LEO days, the worst I saw anyone beat up was a fellow whose woman (don't remember if they were married or not) had used a high heel shoe on him. His face looked like hamburger.

I used to have a .32 acp Davis Derringer that I carried when I couldn't carry a gun. As long as there wasn't a metal detector, I carried it. I just dropped it in my pocket and it disappeared. My keys and change in my other pocket made more of lump than it did. Then the Ruger LCP came out. I got one of those. I didn't feel quite so undergunned with it.

Of course, now that I am retired and seldom go anywhere I am not supposed to carry, I carry the LCP in a belt holster that looks like a large cell phone case and usually have my S&W Airweight .38 snub in my pocket.

Back