What do you carry when you can't carry a gun?

For those of you that carry multiple knives: Is the plan to use more than one at a time? Having been in a fight or two - though thankfully never one involving knives - it seems like keeping a hand free to grab your attacker with would be a good thing. It also seems like having something sharp attached to both hands at the same time is just asking to cut yourself.

No, I don't plan on using them at the same time. The punch dagger around my neck is really a last ditch weapon. If my right arm is immobilized or if my pocket knife is knocked away is when it would come into play. It (the dagger) is unsuitable for cutting or slashing. It is only intended to stab. Driven into the solar plexus, groin, or throat, it would create a pretty bad wound. Obviously, it (any knife, for that matter) can only be used in a situation where deadly force is authorized.

More background

A little more info on my ask... I may be frequenting a state I do not have a ccw for (and likely could not get) and I will not be able to avoid areas that I would deem unsafe and that offer limited escape paths. Therefore I am looking for recommended weapons, beyond my brain, wits etc.. As previously said I am situationally aware and have some formal training and experience in these situations (mostly with handguns), I am an ex-marine and have had more then my share of bar room brawls and street fights. I know to look for every object I can possibly turn into a weapon, but having one in my grasp, that I am familiar with is beneficial. Certainly knives and pens rise to the top of my list, but I am no expert w either. Are there better ones then others? Specifically knives, I want something small, easily concealable that can be put into action quickly and effectively.

I may have missed it (I just skimmed most of the answers), but it looks like no one has mentioned flashlights yet. I carry a knife and a flashlight at all times, and if I didn't have my gun with me that flashlight would be the first thing I pulled out.

My Surefire E2D Defender has crenellations designed to be used as an impact weapon, but to me the blinding effect of the super-bright beam (even in daylight) is more effective for self-defense than a knife or impact weapon.

Generally, the only places I go where guns are not allowed, also do not allow knives.

So, odds are that if I can't carry a gun, the only weapon I will have will be something makeshift, such as a truck key in a closed fist, protruding between two fingers.

But, as others have noted, I always have my mind, and I am reasonably good at empty handed tactics, too.

One Mind Any Weapon.

Do not make the potentially fatal error of thinking that it's the WEAPON that makes the difference between winning and losing a fight.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Deaf, I think you meant "foot", rather than a reference to my aunt's cooking.

Either one Frank can be deadly!

But yes, in LFI-1 class Mas Ayoob told us of court cases where they ruled a shod FOOT could be consider a deadly weapon when used to kick or stomp someone.

Actually it's MY cooking that is deadly, not my wife's.

Deaf

When I can't carry a gun, I'm at work, so I have pepper spray and handcuffs. :) I also have backup outside the wire with lots of guns.

When I go to England to see the in-laws, I always take a Blackthorn Walking Stick and a note from my doctor stating that I have fractured my leg in 3 places (I have BTW). When I get on the plane the stewardess puts it in a closet and then gives it back when we land. Customs just runs it through an X-ray machine and gives it back to me after.

Never had a problem.

I went to New York with my wife to visit her friend. The northeast has some pretty drastic laws and most of them don't even permit the carrying of a folding knife, much less a gun (without a permit). Way before tactical lights came out (with their crenulated edges) I carried a 2 AA cell Mini Maglight. No one can really say anything about a flashlight but the back end makes a pretty good kubaton. A bit of nylon cord attached to the end could also make it a swinging weapon.

[QUOTEThe griptillian looks good. At reason you went w the tanto instead of the drop point? ][/QUOTE]

I have the same unit, the point looks like it would go through a hip bone!

My Surefire has the serated edge, but the light is awsome, put the Surefire in the box, getting on the plane, last Wed; stuck it back in the holster when I went through the metal detector. No muss no fuss.

My City Stick walking cane, put it through the Xray, got it back on the other side, on plane, off plane. No comment. At 77 did not even have to take my shoes off.

I used to have a Samsung Rugby flip-phone that you could beat a BG to death with & still call out for pizza. I miss that phone....hope the Rugby Pro smartphone is as tough....

....otherwise....folding knife, flashlight, keys on a steel carabiner....

Raw meat? I almost broke my toe once, when a frozen peice of raw meat hit my toe, it fell out of freezer.

Back