What .22 handgun accompanies your .22 rifle?

I can fire my Browning Bench Mark very accurately and it is very fun to shoot. 10 round clips. Didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Usually my Browning Buckmark but have several other handguns available that are carried with my 10-22. Now on waiting list for a new Ruger SR22 that could be next.

I used to have a Browning Buckmark I really liked. Accurate, looked great, and felt great in my hand--grips molded perfectly. Only issue I had was chambering the first round was pretty hard as that initial slide pull was extraordinarily heavy. Everything else about it was silky smooth, though.

Oh, I don't think it fully opened up, so I had to clean it from the muzzle end, if I recall--that was a bit annoying.

But really, like a couple others have said, I wouldn't companion a .22 pistol with a .22 rifle for going out in the field. If I'm squirrel hunting or something with my .22 rifle, I'll have my .40 pistol at my side in the event I encounter some grumpy critter who wishes to get better acquainted. Conversely, I guess if I were out with a larger caliber rifle, I may want a .22 pistol on me in case I chose to take a squirrel and didn't want it splattered into the next county.

Last edited:
I haven't done this for many years but I enjoyed taking both my Mk II Stainless Bull Barrel and my 77/22 on squirrel/rabbit hunts. My Mk II is very accurate - much more accurate than I am.

Just thought I'd revise my answer a bit.......

A .22lr DOES NOT accompany my .22lr rifle. When I carry a .22lr rifle I carry a centerfire handgun and save the .22lr handguns for when I'm toting a shotgun or centerfire.

Pointless to carry both long and short in .22lr.

Back