What .22 handgun accompanies your .22 rifle?

I can't bring myself to spend a fortune on a .22 LR pistol. :o Not when the Ruger MkII or III can take care of that role so well. And I can't stomach .22 Mag ammo prices, which can often be more than the big boys.

The most accurate pistol experience I've ever had was with a Ruger MkII (?) long barreled version, seemed like it was 8 inches, although I'm not aware of any they made over 6 7/8. It was like a laser. I was handily outshooting my friend with his SKS rifle at medium short distances. I should have bought that one from him. Oh well, one day I'll probably get one, but until then, I'm very happy with my MkIII Target bull barrel.

My Colt, great gun, great training aid, wonderful feel and after over 20 years and many bricks of 22, never failed me.
And a Winchester 75

Last edited:
Ruger Mark II bull barrel. Also my main woods companion for my shotgun and my deer rifle. Never know when you'll have a squirrel opportunity.

I have a half dozen .22 handguns, mostly S&W but recently picked up a Ruger LCR 8 shot. I was amazed how accurate it is with a very smoothe trigger pull which makes it easy to shoot accurately. Am so impressed that I got a second one for my wife and waiting. for the LGS. to get in the LCR in. 22 mag. $425. in my area. Very lightweight and a pleasure to carry as backup.

If I want to carry a .22 pistol, I have several to choose from.

I have a couple of MK I's, a Single Six Convertible, a Virginia Dragoon Convertible and three Rough Rider Convertibles.

I shoot them all fairly regularly when plinking. I like all of them.

When hunting or woods walking, my most common rig is a .44 Magnum in a strong side holster and my Dragoon in a cross draw holster.

For a fun gun I generally reach for this Uberti Stallion:

If I'm really serious, for hunting, its this Ruger Single Six, a three-screw model:

I'm not much of a hand with a rifle, but do enjoy this Ruger:

Bob Wright

I have three 10/22's and a MKII but they don't get out as much as I'd like. My last outing combo in .22 was the GSG MP3 first gen, and a 6" Beretta Neos.
I've own Ruger MKII's for almost thirty years, but the more I shoot the Neos, the more I like it's balance and accuracy.

None, because I live in the people's republic of NY. However, it would likely be a Ruger MKIII or 22/45, just for the longer barrel and marginally better ballistics.

For a more "orthodox" gun, probably a Ruger SR22.

But I'll be in Florida soon... soon... :(

Edit: Oh, and that Heritage .22lr/.22wmr combo seems kind of cool. I see that they shoot very high though, so I dunno, that seems like the main downside to the heritage.

Right now they are a Browning Nomad and an H&R 686 revolver. The H&R is more of a truck doorgun and resides there most times.

On the to get list are a Ruger Single-Ten and a Browning Buckmark Camper.

+1 RugerMKII Bullbarrel & Single-Six 9.5 barrel.Both are great fun & good back up for My M77 22mag all-weather in S.S.;)

Rifle is the Browning BLR lever action .22

Revolver is Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper .22 OR my Überti El Patron ..357

When I've thought of pairs...it was handguns. A Ruger SR9c and a Mark III 22/45......A Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 4" tapered barrel with a High Standard R-100.

It just occurred to me to pair the High Standard with my Mossberg US 44(b) and the Ruger 22/45 with my Takedown 10/22.

Wow. Symmetry in two planes.

Come to think of it, I tend to take three to the range each time I go, two handguns and a rifle.

One trip, it's the SR9c, the 22/45 and the Takedown.

On the next, it's the S&W revolver, the High Standard 22 revolver and the old Mossy bolt action 22.

Damn....this looks like some weird gun OCD.

Not that I'm complaining.

Back