triple 7...

Sounds like you're an addict now too! Just like me, Rem Kid, mpp1423, gmatov, and the rest...welcome! :D
I think somehow it gets into your blood and you just have to shoot BP. There's just something about that big boom, the smoke and fire, and the way the pistol rolls up in your hand with the recoil if you hold it just right.

I started out with pyrodex pellets for my pistol, and then went to the 777, and I've tried out the ffg pyrodex powder that I use in my rifle. I'm down to less than half the bottle of 777 now so Saturday I went to my local BP supplier and bought a can of fffg goex, (his last can for the time being). I'm tried out the "fake" bp's and now I'm going to give the real deal a try. My accuracy has not varied with the pyrodex or 777, the 58 is more accurate than me at the present time so I expect the same consistency from the real BP. If the rain lets up, I'm going out back to shoot this evening. I've got a cylinder loaded up with the goex and ready to go and my reloading tray is going out with me so I plan on shooting 18 shots at least.

Dragoon, sounds like you did pretty well at the SASS match. I've never been to one but I might try to make my way out to a match sometime to watch what goes on, if I can find one near here.

Well I just shot after they were through for the day as I got there way late but wanted to burn some powder so they let me fire away as much as I wanted. I just had to try the Round Ball, 37 Grn in 44 mag cut downs to see how they'd do. Now i have to go see if I can make them group. If I can then that is the cheapest way for me to go. I realize that it may not group at all as the ball is slightly deformed, but who knows?

BTW Did I mention how much I like shooting the '58 as a full tilt BP?? :p ROFLMAO!!

Low Key,

Addicted, yes, but I've been too busy trying to help my kids get their new house ready to move into.

Someone, here, I think, said, hey, you gotta make some time for yourself.

He's right. So, today, just said the heck with it, I'm goin' shootin'.

Took the '60 Army and the Cabela's 140 buck Pietta '58. Loaded both, found out my brass inline capper don't work with the Rem. Found out, too, my thumb's too fat to easily cap the Rem. AND, the #11 caps fall off, have to pinch pretty good. Have to try a tin of #10's.

Loaded with a 38 Special case for a measure, supposed to be 24 gr. volume equivalent.

Took American Pioneer Powder, left the 777 at home. Don't like the APP. Clouds of smoke, no sulphur smell, plain stinks. 777 doesn't smell like Black, either, but less smoke, and less stink. Goex, my next trip. Need the sulphur smell.

The Rem shot low, lucky I cut the target's bottom edge with a couple balls. Held about a 1/16 inch of the front post above the rear sight, about dead center. Next 24 were on the paper. About 4 1/2 inches for all of them, didn't mark to see what group each 6 made. Other people shootin' their deer rifles in, couldn't go to the target each cylinder.

The '60 disappointed me. Has the smallest little scratch on the hammer for a rear sight, didn't take a file with me to adjust. Only hit that paper a couple out of 30. Hell, you scratch your thumbnail across the hammer, you'd think someone had scratchet the hammer accidently.

Others there were asking me about them. An inline shooter, and the rest hi-power people, one with some Weatherbys. The inline shooter was shooting centerfire and said, you know, you can buy pellets? Yeah, well, pellets are mostly 50 cal and 50 grains. Well, duh.

Some observations: It seems Rems have a larger diameter rammer than the Colts. Haven't measured, but the Rem pulled the shaving up into the rammer guide, tried to sieze. Had one cap that must have stuck to the hammer, the hammer fell, no boom, looked, a spent cap atop the fresh cap on the nipple. Peeled it off, worked around to that chamber, and it fired. Guess the spent cap was a cushion.

Another thing, how many of you use Bore Butter as an over ball lube? How many of you know that if it gets cold, you CAN'T get it out of the tube? Squoze that sucker, nothing came out. Had to use my brass rod (for if no powder could take out the nipple and drive the ball out ) and dig it out of the tube. Now I see why they make such a big tube opening.

Think I am going to go with the lube pills Wayne, over to the VOY Forums has been espousing. Chamber diameter, either slip it under the ball or over the ball. Sealed and lubed, either way.

All in all, a great day.

Thanks to whoever said you gotta MAKE some time for yourself. I'm damned glad I did.

Hey, I love this Rem. How come it seems to shoot harder and BOOM louder with the same charge and the same ball as the '60? Because the chambers are closer to groove diameter than the '60? It's 445 and 457 grooves.

Rem is, I forget, something like 450 and 452. Must be it. Seals the barrel better.

BTW, any of you LEO people look into H-Pylori as the cause of your ulcers? I would hate to see you take 1500 bucks worth of do nothing drugs, and still suffer.If you need links, Mayo Clinic, New England Journal of Medicine, AMA, etc. It ain't BS

Cheers,

George

The second '58 came today.

My second Pietta '58 Rem. came today. It was advertised as mint, and it sure is not even a turn line on the cylinder. It is older than the one I antiqued. It has BS in the box . My WAG is that it is a 2003 or 2004. Could be older. I notice that the front sight is taller than the one on my first one.
I looked for the post that RK posted about the letters and the years but I couldn't find it.
Also I got a set of Ivory Grips today from Grips.com, they aren't as yellow as the other ones but I'm trying to ag them.
:p

Old Dragoon, I have the book that tells you the age of the gun right up to 2005. I need the numbers and the letters in the little box. Some are marked different but if you give me the numbers and letters you have I can figure it out.

RK,
Glad to see you are back , Was worried that you were having to spend Turkey Day in the hospital or something. Hope you are getting that stomach thing under control.

The numbers on the right side of the frame in front of the cylinder.are BS in the box then a touch mark of PN below the wreath or maybe an end view of a cylinder (this symbol is also found under the grips on the frame too, no letters just the symbol), then the crossed guns under what looks like antlers. the S/N on the bottom of grip frame is R320211. It is a Taylor's & Co. also. A blue info tag on the box.

I remember that the letters for 2005 were BT thru BZ. I bet this one is 2004.

BS is 2002. Of course we all know that BS stands for a few other things around here:D
All my blood test came back negitive so that was good news.They are talking about me going in sometime around the first week of next month.
At least I got two deer before they start messing with me and a few weeks to relax.

Mike, I'm glad to hear your bloodtests turned out OK.
Also glad to hear you got 2 deer. Did you take either or both with your Remington?

RK,
Thanks. I knew it was older than the first one. Thats cool. the Konverter fits really well and overall I'm pleased with the new '58 too. Now I have 2 BP cylinders I can use, may get a couple more from Cabela's.

That's Great! A day hunting is way better than a day sick, for certain sure. Meat on the table is always good I thought you might be out trying for that buck. Get them with the '58??

Already have the new ivory grips in the aging tank along with the new '58's TG and Grip escutcheon's.
The new grips were really white last evening, today they are dulling down pretty well, but they are not the yellowed ones like the other '58 has. We'll see how they age. I have not fit them yet, so will have to re-age them some.

Here we go again, hope to have this one antiqued by Monday.

RK,
You are THE MAN!
I know how hard it is to get a deer with a bow. I got a big Doe with a bow in 1965at about 20 yards, she never knew I was there. And getting a spike at that yardage. You have to tell us all about both of them.
14 yards? he almost walked right up to you! Pretty Cool!

The ivory grips from Grips. Com yellow up pretty well with flame like a gas stove or a torch. be careful not to BURN them. I think I'll order another set, I think I'm going to really like these.
$30.00 + 3.50 shipping and well worth it.

I don't like the escutions as they are small and you can strip the threads, but you can inlet the escutions from the wood grips.

Lol, Dragoon, Been hunting with a longbow or recurve since I was about 14. That's when Dinosaurs romed this earth and we needed bows and spears for them big critters. Then some guy named Remington came out with a revolver that would spit fire and lead when loaded up with this stuff they called black powder. Lead was hard to get back then so if we had to we just yanked out a tooth and stuck that in the chamber.
I remember the first time I killed a Tyrannosaurus Rex useing my remington with 40g of that black powder and one of my molers. Hit that big sucker right betwixed the eyes and he dropped right there. We had steaks all winter long:D .....
The deer I got were taken by a spring I hunt all the time. They cross there and with the rut going on they are moving real well. I can sit for about 4 hours without moving much and after that I'm headed for the house.There was a time I would spend all day out there but it's getting harder every year and a bad back don't help things any.
Built my bows for years from Osage or Hickory and even some wild cherry and Locust. Now I shoot a longbow that a friend of mine builds in New Mexico.
Steve that used to be on here builds his own bows too. I sent him an email,but never did hear back from him. Hope he's alright, Mike

hey mike,glad to hear your ok!! thanks again for the info you sent,ill be checking in on that.i have been working so much i havent had time to shoot or hunt hardly.i now work on the side at one of the local deer processers.its pretty cool plus all my deer are free to process in any way i want.mike,remember the loading lever pin i told you was gone,well i bought a brand new one on ebay for 5 bucks and it fits like a charm.now if i just can find time to shoot!

Wow! You got good deal on the lever! Working for the Deer processor is a good way to make money this time of year. Are you seeing any monster Tenn, bucks?
We had our first snow today, just enough to place a white coat on everthing. It's really pretty but will be gone by morning.
I'm hopeing to get that 1861 .36 Navy right after Christmas and I will have all winter to play with it. I love tunning and smoothing the action on these guns. Just turn the hill-billie music in my shop and go to it:)
Have a great Thanksgiving Kevin and take a little time to relax and smell the roses...ah, I mean turkey:D

Old Dragoon, I forgot to ask you... Have you checked the twist in the barrel of that Remington you just got? I'm wondering if it has the better target barrel.Mike

RK,
EL F I NO!
What twist should they be??
I just looked at them both and they both seem to be the same twist. not quite a full tun in 8 inches??? or maybe 1 in 8 at the outside. Isn't the target bbl bigger across the flats? I haven't checked them with a ramrod yet.

These both ;look the same on the out side. It doesn have target sights , just the front sight is about taller than the first one. The base is about double lenght of the first one. Maybe they should all be that tall???

Actually I just looked at them together and the new one is maybe 1/16" taller if that much...just looks really tall. I think it is the machining of the base.

Oh I found out where that cabin is. My nephew's Relative's cabin/house is near Elizabeth, WV. Nearest big town is Parkersburg.

Thats about 140 miles north of me. Nice area and not far from the Ohio river.A friend of mine had a hunting camp in the same area but he dies a few years ago of cancer.
It sounds like you have the standard barrel to me. It never hurts to check when you buy a gun like that. The target sights don't always mean that you have the target barrel. They cost a lot more than the standard Remington and not easy to get anymore.You never know with all the self gunsmithing that goes on now a day's :) It may be that your other sight was filed down by someone.Don't really know.
Have a good Thanksgiving !, Take care, Mike

Dragoon, RK,
I have a rem 58 target version that I bought 4 years ago, but I didn't know there was any difference in the barrell from the standard version. Without measuring anything and just by looking at the target version barrell beside my new 58, the rifling grooves look to be just a teeny bit deeper and the lands may be slightly wider on my target version than on my standard sight 58, but by just eyeballing it the twist looks the same but my eye's may be foolin me.
I paid a little over $200 for the target version and in my opinion the level of workmanship is slightly better with it than with the standard version. It looks as if some work has been done by hand smoothing things out after the machining process was finished and the target version has always given me good accuracy, the gun is more accurate than I am! LOL! But that's true with the new 58 as well, my shooting ability isn't up to what the 58 is capable of, not yet anyway.

Heres a pic of the target version beside my new 58, (before I stripped the blue off the new one). :)
sidebyside.jpg

Mike,i Have Seen A Few Big Deer Come Thru But Most Of The Real Big Ones Came From Ky.i Thought I Knew How To Cut A Dseer Up Until I Went To Work At The Processor's.im Learning A Lot Including On How To Make Different Sagages And What Not.it Cool But Back Breaking.standing For About 8-1o Hours Going Non Stop Slinging Deer Meat Gets Real Rough.all Of You Guys Have A Good Turkey Day!!!!!!

Back