Time for some brutal honesty...

Brutal Honesty

Any GLOCK in 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

Reasons: Ask any of the Law Enforcement agencies out there that use them. Over 70% of law enforcement agencies in the US specify Glock for RELIABILITY. Nuff said

dawg23 is absolutely correct. Generally speaking there are only a few reasons agencies go to a different weapon:
  • Political: New Jersey SP -> S&W
  • Financial/Marketing: Texas DPS -> Free swap to .357 Sig
  • Tradition/Image: Sheriffs Depts -> 1911s
  • History Buffs/Absolutely broke: Revolvers
  • Personal Preference of Influential: All others not as above.

In the end, "70%" select Glock because they work every time and fit the KISS principle.

Phillip,
No that is not the reason, but it is a nice bonus after you get past performance and simplicity (KISS principle). If price were the primary reason, many departments would be armed with Lorcin, Phoenix, or Raven Arms pistols.

phoenix.jpg

:rolleyes: Back to ya ;)

I would trust any of these three brands, almost any model. I listed what would be my first choice for each brand.
Sig Sauer P220 .45
HK USP .45
Glock 21 .45
Straight out if the box no problem.
Could you please send at least one of each to me so that I can test them for a couple of years:D
Just to see if I picked well;)

Okay Runner, whatever you say :rolleyes:

SIG Sauer $575 FTE price
Glock $350 FTE price
You are the man holding the purse strings. Which is the pistol you choose to arm your department?
How about this one. You are a newly hired police officer looking to purchase your own duty pistol, something about S&W autos you don't like. So you go to the local LE supply store and see:
Beretta 92 $475
SIG Sauer 226 $600
Glock 22 $389
Which is it? The Glocks will (more or less) do what the Berettas and SIGs do (that is not in dispute) and do it for less $$$.
Don't try and tell me that cost is not a factor. :D

Huh?

"The others that took longer to sight in or suffered failures to feed..."

Are you under the mistaken impression that the factories ship pistols with proper lubing? :confused:

The only one that comes close, in my experience, is Kimber...and no 1911A1-type pistol of any make would be my first choice.

Indeed, my first choice is:

The SIG-Sauer P226 in 9mm...either model, in stainless or carbon steel slide, with a set of Trijicon night sights.

Great accuracy, superb dependability and an appetite for anything made in 9mmP.

Cost *is* a factor...

"Don't try and tell me that cost is not a factor." -- Phillip

...that's why SIG markets the SIGpro 2340 and 2009 here.
The "Blue Line" packages are apparently quite popular with the LE bean counters.

If I had to have an auto, my first choice Glock 19, second Beretta 92. Both work and feed everything, but the Glock would probably hold up better in really nasty enviroments, plus it would be a bit nicer to carry.

Of course, I would rather a S&W 686+ 3" RB with boot grips, but that was not an option. :-)

Yet another one for HK. I would walk into battle with my HK USP 40c any day of the week. Unlike any spouse or partner, she never complains, always does what's asked, and has a wicked punch! Thought I would throw a little humor into this one!!!

JJC

Brutal Honesty?

It would have to be any of the 12 handguns in my locker!
The Smith & Wessons both Revolvers and Semi's, the Beretta's, the Rugers both Revolvers and Semi's, the Springfields, and well.....maybe not the little Colt 22, she shoots a little high but never misfires or misfeeds! Any one of them would do or they wouldn't be in my locker.:p

About Glock and Price

Phillip,
You hit the nail on the head....BIG TIME! Glock has a tremendous buy back program. They come in and buy out older service weapons (glocks included) and practically give away the new ones, huge discounts to the agencies. They have such a huge following that it all pays off in the long run. Look at all the people that buy Glocks because "....if law enforcement uses them......" Glocks are very good weapons but thier business practices have boosted them probably more than anything!

I think it would be my sig P-220 . Also fine would be my glock 21 / HK USP 45 / or the springfield FBI 45 -1911 . Any of them would be fine. I would choose the sig first because they feel so good in my hand and make me confident .

I believe I supplied the correct answer earlier.

Based on your specific criteria, the only correct answer (not opinion) is the Beretta 92.

Shudder.

If I could pick what I prefer it would be a 1911 or CZ75/EAA Witness.

----------------------------------

"all my opinions are factory opinions"

Well, since the hypothetical situation posed here requires an AUTOPISTOL, I'd have to go with the Beretta 92 or the Browning Hi-Power...honorable mention to the Glock 17 or 19 and the metal-framed Sig's in 9mm...if the choices were ANY handgun, I'd have chosen a Smith and Wesson 686 Plus .357 Magnum...FWIW....mikey357

Back