Time for some brutal honesty...

USP .45

I have fired many, many rounds through my USP straight out of the box. Zero problems.

I'd be equally happy with any Glock, full-size Beretta, HK squeeze-cocker, or P-series SIG (less the .380's).

In over 15 years of shooting, I could count the cumulative number of jams I've had on all those guns without needing to take off both socks.

I guess that, push come to shove, I'd make it the G17. Ironic, since I've never shelled out my own hard-earned $$$ for a 9mm Glock, but they're pretty much bomb-proof, have the fewest bits 'n' pieces to break or get lost, hold a bunch 'o bullets in a world-wide common caliber and edge out the other competitors in the all-important tent-peg-hammer and wheel-chock competitions, both of which are more common uses for a pistol in combat zones than actually, you know, shooting at folks with it.

OK, if the "task" is anywhere in the world, I have to choose the calibre that is avialeble. 9mm would be a safe beat. .45 would be OK in US, South and Central America, and may be Africa, but Europe, Asia and ME are nor very .45 rich. Now the gun... Well, you can either go for capacity or for the reliability with ALL types of ammo, or both. Sounds like HK P7M13 :)

another vote for Ruger

The Ruger P95, specifically, would get my vote. I never shot well until I shot one of these. More accurate than me and never jammed once in over 2,000 rounds. This is the pistol that made me a confident shooter.

BTW, Tamara, your post about the Glock 17 cracked me up!

G19 or G17...

...would do just fine. Rugged, reliable, weather resistant, universal caliber, and oh so pretty. So, you're saying you know in advance that you're about to participate in a gunfight, and you're picking a handgun?

Since it might be ball that makes it a .45. Since it might be sub-gun stuff I want a stainless SIG P220 and the only way to get that now is with a P220 Sport. That is my choice.

The pistol I carry on my duty rig is my SIG Sauer 226 .40 or 9mm, or 229 .357. The caliber makes no difference to me, so long as it's one of those.

Daytime Nighttime Rain or Shine.

Beretta model 96 Border Marshal .40 S&W with Trijicon NS.

It is the only gun I have ever shot that has never had a failure of anykind. Smooth, Reliable, Accurate. I know that EVERY time I pull the trigger, It will deliver a bullet exactly where I want it. I would trust my life with this weapon.

Enough said

G17. Simple, Reliable, Durable, LE Proven, more accurate than I am, High Capacity if you get the groovy mags. There is quite a bit to commend it. That's my opinion. -Coug

Take the pistol right out of the box, lube it, and use it for personal defense with *no* test firing?

For me, it'll have to be a Beretta 92FS. Big fan though I am of SIGs, Glocks, etc., I've had to ship each to its factory service department because of some type of reliability problem. Never a Beretta--at least, not so far. :)

No question and supported by the recent Ohio pistol studies. A Sig 226. If that wasn't available then a BHP. If that wasn't available then the following in order:

Sig 225
Sig 229
Sig 220
Sig 228
SigPro
FN HP
Sig 230/232
HS2000
FEG PJK
FM HP
Arcus 94
S&W 5906
CZ 75 BD
CZ 75
Beretta 92F
any HK
any Colt or clone
any Steyr
any Star
any S&W that was more than 10 years old
a Jennings
a Glock

Beretta Elite II in .40 S&W. Utterly reliable as are virtually all Beretta pistols. The .40 S&W has considerably more "pop" than its 9mm counterparts. Good sights, too.

I'd go with either a Browning Hi-power or a .357 Ruger revolver. They use ammo that's easily available virtually anywhere, are reliable and built like tanks but parts should be easy to come by if needed.

S&W .357 magnum. Revolvers are (generally) reliable and not ammo-specific. One finger misfire drill.

Mike

EDIT: whoops. Just read the semi-automatic part. Hmmm. A BHP, then. They have their quirks, but ammo specificity doesn't seem to be one of them.

My CZ-75b in 9mm. I have tried many types of ammo and have not had any problems. My gun is a proven bottle stopper. In fact yesterday i eliminated a whole pack of ferocious 20 oz Sprite bottles along with their villainous beer can leaders. Seriously though this is the best firearm i have ever fired and it is accurate beyond any ablity i have.

I love my P95, but if I were not sure about available ammo, I would go for what makes the biggest hole -- the P97. Same basic gun, but in .45ACP.

Full-sized Sig (P-220 in .45ACP or P-226 in .357 Sig). However, if the question's ground-rules permitted, a Ruger KGP-141 revolver (the four-inch barrel GP-100) in .357 magnum.

Back