Time for some brutal honesty...

Zander

Here's your assignment:

You have to go in harm's way.

Choose one new, in-the-box, semi-auto pistol on which you will bet your life.

You have no idea what type of ammo will be available to you; it could be $2/round frangibles or mil-surp for a sub-gun.

You have no choice but to take the pistol out of the box and use it with nothing more than a basic lube and loading it with whatever ammo you can acquire.

What pistol? And what caliber? You must give at least a brief explanation...and be prepared to defend your choice.

Carry on!

H&K USP .45. H&K USPs and Beretta 92s are the only handguns that have consistently run without a hitch for me right out of the box. I picked the USP .45 because, per your scenario, I could be stuck with ball ammo.

no question...

No question in my mind. Beretta 92FS in 9mm. This gun has proven itself a hundred times over in testing scenarios and has passed (and surpassed other weapons). I personally have yet to experience a single failure of any kind through mine (purchased in fall of '99) with over 2500 rounds through it. I know lots of beretta users can top my young numbers but the fact is that the 92FS has earned my respect but most importantly my trust.

Andy

Wouldn't be a new in the box one I'd choose. It would be one that has proven itself to me over time as reliable.
In that case it would be my Beretta 92fs.

First choice would be a CZ75 in 9mm. Second would be HK USP 45. Both are built like a tank, have been proven to shoot anything available and are accurate. I'd like to add the CZ97 to that list (also in .45ACP) but I want a bit more time trying it out before doing so. (So far it's been perfect but I've only had it for 2 months)

Joe

Thats is simple assignment. My USP45C. But, if high caps are available in this senario, then my P229 9mm, USP9, or Glock 19 depending on which hi-cap mag is easier to get.
ST

If it's ball ammo, I gotta go with .45ACP. And if it's .45ACP, I have to go with a 1911 because I have had jams out of every other 45 design I have ever fired except for factory 1911s. And of the factory 1911s on the market, I have the most rounds through Kimbers, and all of them without a jam. So I would pick a Kimber, probably a Classic Stainless since I would not be able to sight adjustable sights in on a Gold Match before carrying the gun.

Even tho people flame this firearm, and they say it is too big and bulky. It is a fine handgun and fits me perfectly, it is the Ruger P-90 .45ACP. I like the attitude of Ruger Co, well in the building of firearms anyways. They use the K.I.S.S. method. I like that.

I done extensive testing with this firearm like, rapid fire with Wolf ammo and a 10rd magazine, shot every type of aftermarket ammo(Best brands first then I shot American Eagle, CCI Blazer and shotshell, all purpose Tracer ammo, PMC, Ultramax, 3D ammo red box, American Ammunition "clear package") and military ammo(1942 .45auto ball ammo) and obcourse the good ammo and +P and +P+ stuff. Well you get the picture, I shot all the ammo I could get my hands on. I have shot over 10,000rds on this P-90, and I have never experience any trouble or signs of wear and tear. Other test I have done on this gun is drop test at 6 feet and water(no salt-water), dirt, sand and mud test. Other test included overheating of the gun, after rapid fire I keep-on loading the P-90, 500rds in 15minutes. Other test included lead test, I leaded the barrel with Lead Semi-Wadcutter ammo(250rds), 3D ammo obcourse. After leading the barrel, I check the accuracy; it was weird but my accuracy improve after leading the barrel, I got 1 inch to 2 inch groups@15yards, I was also shooting a bowling pin(it was dancing if you know what I mean). Other test included field stripping the firearm, the firearm stripped into 5 pieces, easy to put back. And testing continues with loading the firearm with different aftermarket magazines(Pro-mag, USA mags) and shooting with them. Another test was changing the barrel with other .45ACP barrels that fit the P-90, like the ported barrel, threaded barrel, and standard aftermarket barrel. Anyways this firearm has gone to hell with me and back, and it still shoots the same even after all this extensive testing and torture. And with the Hogue grips it looks even better and feels better.

Anyways that is it; my firearm of choice is the P-90. That is why I own a P-90TH. And the warranty/guarantee ain't bad either, Davidsons offers lifetime guarantee and Ruger Co, will replace the firearm if any part brakes or it malfunctions. And I am thinking of buying that P-97DAO, they say it is better than the P-90. I have to extensively test that firearm(P-97)too. I also have a HK USP compact .45ACP. That is another firearm I would trust. Anyways Later-on.

[Edited by ED CHAVEZ on 03-29-2001 at 10:16 PM]

I'll add my voice to the HK USP .45 advocates. I've heard here of problems with the 9mm version, but the .45 just plain runs. And runs. And runs. It seemingly eats anything and I've never experienced any failures. None. Needless to say, it's my defend-the-homestead pistol.

I suspect my Beretta Elite II will prove equally as reliable, but as was mentioned before, in this scenario I might get stuck with ball ammo, and if I'm forced to use that, I want a .45.

A Browning HP, or a Glock 17.

Both are proven and reliable designs that are known to digest any kind of ammo. Both are chambered in an extremely common caliber, with ammo available anywhere in the world. Since it wasn't specified where I'd have to go into harm's way, I'd want a sidearm in a common caliber...it's kind of hard to get .40S&W or .45ACP in many parts of the world, but every village gunsmith or arms bazaar has 9mm surplus ammo available.

Well, my ULTIMATE choice would be a Smith & Wesson Model 19 revolver in .357 Magnum.

However, if I were forced to choose an off-the-shelf semi-auto, based on what I've seen over the years it would have to be a Glock. Preferably .45, as they tend to fit my hand just a little bit better.

CZ85, the fixed-sight model.

It's bombproof reliable with every time of ammo I've ever tried, it fits my hand, and (most importantly) I hit what I aim at when I'm shooting it. The trigger on the CZ85 is just a bit better than the standard CZ75, which would be my second choice.

Later,
Chris

Big, Ugly Ruger P90

Ed Chavez has nice things to say about his Ruger .45 despite its alleged bulk and lack of beauty. I should point out that many of the smaller autos are DAO and not as accurate or easy to shoot as the big Rugers, most of which are available double action, single action. Yes, the Ruger is big and heavy but many of its competitor models are equally big and heavy, and a number are considerably bigger and heavier than the Rugers. Concerning the beauty of the firearms, that is a personal judgment. Many people don't care what a tool such as a firearm looks like. Appearance does make a difference to me. I like the looks of the stainless, all metal Rugers (I have the P89 and the P90). To me they look strong and military. I just put Hogue grips on mine and think that they improve looks as well as utility. But a major factor for me is price: the Rugers are $100 to $250 cheaper than a number of comparable models. My P90 cost $375; the lowest prices I have seen on the Glock 21 are $550 at the gun shows. (I did see one for $500.) And I got factory high cap mags for the P89 for $40, about half the price of factory high cap mags for Glocks. So good quality at a reasonable price is a good thing.

Drakejake

Back