• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

THR is down right now...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mal,
Having been part of a Entry Team with Larry and Sandy - you are correct!

I was not able to attend Whittington...
Now in Tulsa I took point and used CRSam's infamous words :
Follow me, I know a shortcut

We were successful in taking over the free coffee downstairs.
Now finding the to-go cups required some additional recon ...:D

Still ain't figured out who the idiot was that hide them next to the coffee...;)

I've been getting, for the last couple of days, the fofwing message, actually regarding a response of 25 May

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
To attempt fixing network connectivity problems, click Tools, and then click "Diagnose Connection Problems..."

Other options to try:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Looks like the usual Internet Explorer double-talk, though I do wonder as to what's what. Equipment problem at THR or something else? Being that I'm not esecially technically savy re computers, I hesitate to hazzard any wild guesses. Anyone have any hard data?

Alan, the short answer...

The webservers that host THR and APS have been hit by a Distributed Denial of Service attack, which is a flood of inbound packets intended to saturate a system and bring it to its knees, either by excluding legitimate traffic, or actually crashing the CPU.

Unfortunately, as Derek's explained after the previous DDoS attack, he gets charged for ALL bandwidth moving into and out of the webservers, including the malicious packets of the DDoS attack. As you can imagine, that would cost dearly if he were charged for the humongous flood of bandwidth created by an incoming DDoS attack. So Derek has opted to pull the plug on the webservers when under attack, vs. pay for the attacker's incoming packets. He'll reboot the servers when the attack has subsided, whenever that happens. And then he'll wait for the next one, just like a couple weeks ago when they got hit by the first big DDoS attack. Pending a move to another webhosting company with better security features, that's about all he can do, and about all he and Oleg can afford. :(

This is incredible! I know nothing about this sort of thing but isn't there some way to track back to the source on some of this stuff? And then go after them legally? If so, we could all chip in to help with a legal effort. I really miss THR!

Careful Mike, them teeth are so tactical they were carved from the brass of .454 Cassul. They so tactical, they got grooves that match the cap of a jug of Hoppes #9. They so tactical they stained with nitro. :eek::p

What calibre for zombie machines posting a DDoS attack?

I find a sledgehammer works best, although the heaviest milsurp boltie in the safe will work in a pinch.

Now, if I may risk sounding ignorant, what are APS and TAC?

Lang,
TAC = The Armed Citizen Forum
APS = Armed Polite Society Forum, Oleg's general discussion forum which replaced the general discussion sub-forum on THR.

grampster I was just on TAC and it was up. Then I must have crashed it because I saw a thread I wanted to read, clicked on it and wouldn't ya know..."Can't Display Page!" Now I can't get back on it.

It is gratifying to see so many names from THR in this thread and comical to notice that some of the names that have post numbers in the whole bunches on THR have post numbers below 10 here. Funny how we can come here to find out why we cannot get on THR.

I started reading this thread on page 4 and there were only 6 pages total at that time. Now look how many pages (10) and only in the time it took me to read this far.

I know that THR is a direct result of TFL. I am glad that there happens to be more than one place to meet when someone burns down our regular building.

Someone pass me a beer. I need to get the soot out of my mouth.

USOB = Usual Suspects On Board

Ya know, I have been one of these before I even had a 'puter or 'Net
:)

I'm just glad I don't have a transaction out there hangin. I need to remember to put TFL contact information out there as well in the event this happens again.

We have a shoot scheduled for Father's Day weekend and luckily I have an msn group for it otherwise Pops and Dean C might forget.:D

To entertain the bored...

acceptablelosses.jpg

uncoveredmeat5213.jpg

pet4881.jpg

neversee4940.jpg

I was wondering what happened to THR, so now I know.

At first I didn't suspect anything sinister, but maybe a little reynolds wrap is in order.

Is THR more political or influential than some other gunboards? Is this random or retaliation from someone whose post got closed down. Or is it anti based?

Boy, talk about self defense. Don't you feel frustrated and a little helpless?

not me!

Don't you feel frustrated and a little helpless?

I would say some hacker brat is getting me riled though, I'd like to grab the little runt by the ear lobe and give him a kick in the seat of his pants

Now that we are on page 11, I'd like to once again take the opportunity to welcome new members who have joined the THR support group. I'm proud to announce that we have had zero suicide threats since the inception of this support thread.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that if you would like to donate to help Oleg find a better host and/or maintain the site, you can now do so via paypal (which I know some of you hate, but c'mon - it's for the common good!). Derek Zeanah has been kind enough to set up a paypal address that you can send money to: derek@zeanah.com

Be sure to make a note on the transaction stating the funds are for THR (or APS) maintenance.

Given the amount of knowledge I have gleaned from THR, I was happy to donate and I'm sure a lot of you guys feel the same way.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming and I hope you enjoy your stay at TFL.

:D:D:D

I would say some hacker brat is getting me riled though, I'd like to grab the little runt by the ear lobe and give him a kick in the seat of his pants

I feel you. I had a cracker violate our primary server at work and cause me a ton of work. I would give almost anything to wring his neck.

Mal ~
Y'all are going to have to go over your forced entry routine one more time. It lacks structure!
:D:D:D

What we were doing was waiting to ambush Justin and Zak, but if you were to see the picture before that one, you would know that they had already given us the slip. ;)

Last edited:
Well it's a relief to find out that APS and THR haven't been blocked, as I was thinking all weekend.

Say, this thread is kind of like "Old Home Week." Hi, all!

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back