Thinking about a Glock19

I just found out Glock is not double action in the first shot. I was reading about it, it just have safety on the trigger, the gun is actually cocked all the time.
That is incorrect
The Glock 19 is a double action pistol
The striker is partially cocked
Depressing the trigger unlocks the safeties and completes the cocking

If you are wanting something closer to a full double action
Take a look at the Kahr series
Wonderful triggers similar to a tuned revolver

Bottom line is whether the Glock is safe with round in the chamber for carrying? There is still the choice of NOT loading the chamber, then all problems solved.

I looked around, choice for true DA/SA polymers are far and few in between. About the only reasonable priced reputable one is Sig2022. It's still a full sized one. I am attracted to Glock 26 or the S&W Shield 9mm for the size. That would be between my S$W 659 and the PPKS. I am not exactly into keep buying and buying. Choices are limited in Kalifornia.

Other than that, 26 is quite perfect, you still have option to get longer mag for more rounds.( Notice I am talking myself back to Glock?!!!):)

I have been carrying a Glock 26 with a round in the chamber for years. It has only gone off when I put my finger on the trigger and pulled it.

Bottom line is whether the Glock is safe with round in the chamber for carrying? There is still the choice of NOT loading the chamber, then all problems solved.

I looked around, choice for true DA/SA polymers are far and few in between. About the only reasonable priced reputable one is Sig2022. It's still a full sized one. I am attracted to Glock 26 or the S&W Shield 9mm for the size. That would be between my S$W 659 and the PPKS. I am not exactly into keep buying and buying. Choices are limited in Kalifornia.

Other than that, 26 is quite perfect, you still have option to get longer mag for more rounds.( Notice I am talking myself back to Glock?!!!):)

Yes they are safe to carry in a proper holster

The Kahr CW9 is California legal
It is sized between the Glock 19 and 26
If you are going back and forth between those sizes...
Then you might want to consider something that is actually sized between the two
The Kahr also has a much better trigger (by wide margin) and is better quality

I would again suggest visiting some rental ranges and trying multiple options

I’ve shot Kahrs. I would say they have a different (smoother but longer) trigger. I wouldn’t personally call it better.

Trying something out at a range rental wouldn’t be a bad idea. People telling you what you’ll probably like can sometimes work, but each person is different. There really is no substitute for owning/trying something directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the range open, where to find bullets?

I was in shooting range a lot before, I really never heard of gun rentals, is this something new since my days?

Yes they are safe to carry in a proper holster

The Kahr CW9 is California legal
It is sized between the Glock 19 and 26
If you are going back and forth between those sizes...
Then you might want to consider something that is actually sized between the two
The Kahr also has a much better trigger (by wide margin) and is better quality

I would again suggest visiting some rental ranges and trying multiple options
I never heard of Kahr, I looked a little on their website, are they just like Glock that is half cocked? I don't see any trigger safety like Glock or S&W type.

Is Glock consider half cocked all the time even after firing the first shot? That the second round pull is still having to pull the firing pin back to full cock before release. It never have true SA.

Thanks, this is all new to me. Maybe I am rushing too much to go buy one!!!

I have a Glock 19 Gen 4, have had it 5 years. I don't know how many rounds I have through it, probably less than 5K, but it has never jammed or misfired. Not once. With Fiocchi 124 grain, it is pretty accurate, that's what I've found it likes best. I have night sights on it, and the rest is as it as came from the box. It fits my hand well, that's why I bought it. Conceals well. I have probably 15 mags for it, they are plentiful and pretty cheap. A few 21 rounders, too. If the gun fits your hand well, go for it. I don't think the generation particularly matters. The 5's are supposed to be a bit more accurate, I don't know as I've never fired one.

It's about as trustworthy as any of the other brands. I'm not a Glock fanboy, and it's the only one I own, I prefer HK and Sig, but my 19 is a keeper, I'll likely never get rid of it. If you do end up purchasing it, you'll find lots of parts and the ability to upgrade stuff, if you wish, all over the internet and in the gun world. It's a reliable and fun gun. Hope you get it, if that's what you want, and it sounds like you do. Good luck!

I just found out Glock is not double action in the first shot. I was reading about it, it just have safety on the trigger, the gun is actually cocked all the time.

That can be a deal breaker for me because if I want a round in the chamber I want it to be VERY safe, I do NOT want cocked and lock. That's why I never take the 1911 seriously even though I have a Gold Cup.

I kept thinking it's double action looking at the trigger. My 659 and PPKS are both real double action in the first pull, I don't have to worry about anything having a round in the chamber.

Upon searching, Sig SP2022 is about the only one legal in Kalif that is true double action first shot. Any other good reliable true DA/SA polymer that is legal in Kalif that I missed?
Correct.
The safety on a Glock is “keep your finger off the trigger” until you are ready for it to go bang, unless you don’t keep a round chambered.
Long ago, I had a Walther P99AS which has a polymer frame and a built in decocker which made it DA/SA. The single action trigger was sweet.
No longer have it as I gave my youngest her choice of handgun when she left home. Of course, she chose my most expensive one. It cost me $700 NIB about 15 years ago. Don’t know it’s cost now.

Last edited:
Correct.
The safety on a Glock is “keep your finger off the trigger” until you are ready for it to go bang, unless you don’t keep a round chambered.
Long ago, I had a Walther P99AS which has a polymer frame and a built in decocker which made it DA/SA. The single action trigger was sweet.
No longer have it as I gave my youngest her choice of handgun when she left home. Of course, she chose my most expensive one. It cost me $700 NIB about 15 years ago. Don’t know it’s cost now.
I cannot understand why they had a great thing going with DA/SA 30 years ago and have to change to this? Is that a "macho" problem? DA/SA is so much safer no matter how you cut it. How is it better now?

DA/SA is so much safer, then after the first shot, it is true single action which must be so much more accurate than the half A$$ single action of today.

Last edited:
I cannot understand why they had a great thing going with DA/SA 30 years ago and have to change to this? Is that a "macho" problem? DA/SA is so much safer no matter how you cut it. How is it better now?

There are still DA/SA options, as has been pointed out to you. I would suggest purchasing one of those, if you end up purchasing a firearm.

Not really sure, but the Beretta 92 and military M9 9mm handguns are still so equipped. My brother has a 92 and it has an excellent trigger out of the box. Just not a polymer frame. The replacement for the M9 is a polymer M17 or M18 which are based on the sig sauer P320..

Not really sure, but the Beretta 92 and military M9 9mm handguns are still so equipped. My brother has a 92 and it has an excellent trigger out of the box.

It’s worth noting that the M9 has been replaced by the M17, a striker fired pistol with a striker that is even more cocked than a Glock (fully tensioned IIRC). The M17 does have a manual safety, however. The civilian version of that pistol, the P320, is sold with or without a safety and most of the sales are for the model without.

Edit: and damn you already edited it

I never heard of Kahr, I looked a little on their website, are they just like Glock that is half cocked?
I would call it 1/3 cocked but yes

I don't see any trigger safety like Glock or S&W type.
All of the mechanical safeties are internal
The manual safety is the long pull, just like a revolver

Is Glock consider half cocked all the time even after firing the first shot?
Working the slide resets the striker whether manually cycled or when firing a shot

That the second round pull is still having to pull the firing pin back to full cock before release. It never have true SA
Correct
Almost all modern striker fired pistols are double action only
(an exception would be the HK PSP/P series for example)

Thanks, this is all new to me. Maybe I am rushing too much to go buy one!!!
Rental ranges are all over the place today
I would be surprised if you didn't have a few nearby
Most of the ones Ive seen will charge a small rental fee, then let you try out whatever they have
Typically they seem to all make you use their ammunition so finding your own shouldn't be an issue while renting
It will cost you to rent but its better than buying and finding out you dont like it or shoot something better

Quick story...
A neighbor of mine in town was buying their first pistol and asked my wife and I to give them some training. We went to a local outdoor range and part way through the afternoon I had someone a few lanes down come over and ask me for some help, a middle aged couple had bought a pair of G19's and were really struggling as they had never shot before.

While my wife continued to work with our neighbor while I watched the couple shoot a few magazines. They told me they had bought the pistols because they knew the word Glock from movies and TV, so thats what they bought. After a few tips and demos I had them shooting much MUCH better, from barely being on 24x36 target paper to getting about half on 8.5x11 paper.

I walked down to our lane and grabbed one of my L9-A1's. Within a few minutes I had them both keeping all shots on the 8.5x11 and starting to get actual groups. They were shocked by how much better the Steyr shot, the much lighter felt recoil, and better sights. Within two weeks the bought Steyrs and sold the Glocks. Had they had a chance to try multiple things beforehand, they may have made an entirely different choice and saved themselves some headaches.

There are still DA/SA options, as has been pointed out to you. I would suggest purchasing one of those, if you end up purchasing a firearm.

When I said that, I meant most are like Glock today, choice of DA/SA is very limited, only the full sized one that I already have a good one already and is all tested out.

Honestly, I think the Glock 26 is really the size I want to fill the gap between my big S&W659 and the Walther PPKS ( Both are DA/SA). Something in case of getting caught in those riot, that the little Walter might be a little too weak knee and the 659 is just too big and heavy to carry out. I just want option and that's the gap I want to fill. I was ready to make appointment to buy the 26 until I realized about the trigger.

I yet to find a DA/SA that fits what I am looking for.

Thanks TunnelRat. I'll look into the HK, it's a little expensive, wonder how much mark up they want.

I am not ruling out the 26, just a little frustrated that it's so close, price is right.

I am surprised there are so many negative comments on the trigger of the S&W M&P Shield.

So what I would say is the triggers on the S&W series of pistols have gotten better with time. I'm not sure if the Shield 2.0 is on your roster, but it does have what to me is a noticeably better trigger. It's not amazing, but I don't think it would hinder good shooting. Even on the original S&W Shield there are aftermarket kits (if you were so inclined) as well as installation videos to go with them that can improve the trigger. Given the work you've described performing on your own firearms, the installations should be very easy by comparison.

Last edited:
Alan, regarding what you perceive to be a lack of a safety function, keep in mind if you don't press the trigger the gun won't go bang.

But of course if that is a problem for you, please find yourself a firearm with as many safety features as you think you might need!

Something in case of getting caught in those riot

So is your rekindled interest in firearms due to your concern of getting caught in a riot situation? If so, I suggest you find your zen place and take a few deep breaths. Things aren't yet that bad, brother.

That’s not exactly true. When you press the trigger on a Glock the striker is moved further rearward. Pressing the trigger does finish some of the cocking of the firearm, so I wouldn’t consider it cocked and unlocked. We’ve had debate in the past about whether a Glock striker at rest has enough energy to detonate a primer, with mixed opinions. There are striker fired pistols that are fully cocked at rest. There are also DA/SA and DAO striker fired pistols where all of the cocking of the striker is done when pressing the trigger.

You don't happen to know where that thread is? Something telling me I should decide soon whether to get the 26 or not. I still incline to do that. I have to admit I have been thinking about a Glock of decades, I can tell I am very reluctant to walk away from it, particularly at $650.

I have the S&W 659 AND quite a few of their revolvers, I am not exactly dying to get another S&W. Glock is proven to have the longivity and ruggedness and reliability. If any reliability issue pops up, I am sure I'll find a way to fix it. I fixed all 3 of mine to very reliable, I don't see any reason I cannot do that if needed. Hopefully don't have to.

Back