Thinking about a Glock19

Thank the people who dont plan ahead and went into full blown panic mode. Again

It’s not just that. There is a huge influx of new gun buyers. Now the vast number of them will probably never be “shooters” so to speak but they are going to want to buy a box or three of ammo and even if they buy one box, never to shoot a single round, that’s still like 7 or 8 million boxes of demand that didn’t exist 8 months ago.

Factor in 2 or 3 boxes and sprinkle in a few who become “shooters” and your demand has risen exponentially.

Like I said forest fire. Let it burn out.

Also keep in mind that it’s not as simple to “stack deep when it’s cheap” for everybody. It’s not just a monetary consideration but a storage/physical space consideration for many.

Now should you have few hundred in case stuff rounds, absolutely!!!! but keeping enough ammo on hand to shoot when you want supply be damned is a logistical undertaking.

Then there are wives. :)

It’s not just that. There is a huge influx of new gun buyers. Now the vast number of them will probably never be “shooters” so to speak but they are going to want to buy a box or three of ammo and even if they buy one box, never to shoot a single round, that’s still like 7 or 8 million boxes of demand that didn’t exist 8 months ago.

Factor in 2 or 3 boxes and sprinkle in a few who become “shooters” and your demand has risen exponentially.

Like I said forest fire. Let it burn out.

I think that’s an excellent point about gun owners vs. shooters. Hopefully this will be more of a short term jump in demand than long term. I think that’s also why you probably won’t see new factories built just for this. By the time they came online that demand might already be decreasing. Before all of this prices were quite low and shelves were packed. Bringing a new factory online to end up back at that isn’t something manufacturers want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's dangerous to buy guns and not going practice!!! Particular for semi auto, you need to proof the gun first!!! How are they going to know how to rack the gun and all if they don't go shooting. Me and my wife went shooting twice every week for years and she shot loose a little Charter Arm snubies. That's how much she practiced. I even practice ambidexter.

Also keep in mind that it’s not as simple to “stack deep when it’s cheap” for everybody. It’s not just a monetary consideration but a storage/physical space consideration for many.

Now should you have few hundred in case stuff rounds, absolutely!!!! but keeping enough ammo on hand to shoot when you want supply be damned is a logistical undertaking.

Then there are wives. :)
Ha ha, it's my wife that reminded me to go practice shooting again this time!!! :)

Or else, I might not even thinking about buying a new gun. For my purpose, I already have plenty of guns. But..........What is one more Glock!!!:))

Too bad she can't rack the slide, or else, I'll get her a semi auto. Well, she has two snubies and the Colt Trooper to use.

I was even thinking of getting her the Beretta 32ACP that's like my 950 25ACP. You can tip the barrel up and put the round in the chamber and close it. You don't need to rack the slide. But I read the reviews are not that good.

Last edited:
It's dangerous to buy guns and not going practice!!! Particular for semi auto, you need to proof the gun first!!!

You have to keep in mind the VAST number of folks are ignorant when it comes to firearms. Most get all their info from movies or TV. Right now a huge swath of folks had some big fears both real and imagined that drove them to “GET A GUN”. It doesn’t go beyond that for most. Figure out how to load it and from there it will be just like the movies.

I am not showing these folks disdain, I am simply saying most are scared and uneducated on the subject at hand. Most would never think to proof the gun. Most will likely simply stuff whatever ball ammo was sold with the gun in it and the VAST majority of them will never need to use the gun (as I pray it shall ever be).

Last edited:
For anybody new to firearms who might simply be reading posts please understand that when I say ignorant I mean uneducated on this particular subject. Please don’t be afraid to ask questions or fear some technical barrier of entry because we “all know what we are doing” or “you don’t want to look stupid” or some other silly thing. The great majority of us want to help, have all been new and trepidatious ourselves. You don’t learn new things without being taught, reading, learning from other folks. So for anybody on the outside looking in don’t be afraid to reach out and don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know.” I’ve been doing this stuff for a long time and I know so little about so much it’s not even funny.

You have to keep in mind the VAST number of folks are ignorant when it comes to firearms. Most get all their info from movies or TV. Right now a huge swath of folks had some big fears both real and imagined that drove them to “GET A GUN”. It doesn’t go beyond that for most. Figure out how to load it and from there it will be just like the movies.

I am not showing these folks disdain, I am simply saying most are scared and uneducated on the subject at hand. Most would never think to proof the gun. Most will likely simply stuff whatever ball ammo was sold with the gun in it and the VAST majority of them will never need to use the gun (as I pray it shall ever be).
That is scary,

I don't put any ball ammo in the house(except 25ACP as they are slow and small), everything is JHP. FMJ goes through walls and is dangerous of hitting people even in the next house( only two walls apart!!). JHP is a lot better. The snubies even loaded with the "Glazer" bullet I bought at the time that promised very high impact but very little penetrations.

I forgot to mention, I still have a 20 guage with short barrel and handgun butt.

BTW, what's better than JHP today in terms of not going through walls. Again, my knowledge is 30years old, what's the best at the time might be laughable to you guys.

I lump most of the new gun buyers in with those who dont/didnt plan. Lets face it, it was more about panic than just buying. It is what it is.

Add to that, the same supposed "gun" people (who by now really should know better) who dont buy regularly when things are normal and especially as cheap as they have been, freaked out again, and just added to it, and it turned into a perfect storm this time around.

The 7 P's applies to everything, and this is no different. ;)

Whats really a bit scary though, are all the "new" owners/shooters, who now have guns, of all sorts, and very likely inappropriate guns for their skill levels, who likely have little to no experience, and have no ammo to get any. Not that most likely would anyway. Thats not real comforting, but it too is what it is I guess.

If youre looking to buy, and it plays out like the last couple of times, youre better off waiting till things cool down to buy, as there with be a ton of basically NIB guns on sale cheap in 6 months to a year when those new buyers turn around and dump them on the market. And by then, the ammo will likely be catching up too.

Win/win for those who follow their "P's". :)

BTW, what's better than JHP today in terms of not going through walls.

ANYTHING powerful enough for self defense is going to zip right through drywall if you miss your table get. Other than that, and again this is sort of one of those religious questions, any decent JHP that has proven reliable and accurate and I am happy. Perfect world I like Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. Would I feel horrible with hydrashok or old school 9BPLE.....nope.

I lump most of the new gun buyers in with those who dont/didnt plan. Lets face it, it was more about panic than just buying. It is what it is.

Add to that, the same supposed "gun" people (who by now really should know better) who dont buy regularly when things are normal and especially as cheap as they have been, freaked out again, and just added to it, and it turned into a perfect storm this time around.

The 7 P's applies to everything, and this is no different. ;)

Whats really a bit scary though, are all the "new" owners/shooters, who now have guns, of all sorts, and very likely inappropriate guns for their skill levels, who likely have little to no experience, and have no ammo to get any. Not that most likely would anyway. Thats not real comforting, but it too is what it is I guess.

If youre looking to buy, and it plays out like the last couple of times, youre better off waiting till things cool down to buy, as there with be a ton of basically NIB guns on sale cheap in 6 months to a year when those new buyers turn around and dump them on the market. And by then, the ammo will likely be catching up too.

Win/win for those who follow their "P's". :)

I guess I belong to the gun type of people that don't stock up until now!!! But I do have enough guns. The Glock is more a toy for me, I have pretty much have one of all sizes already.

Hey, when big boss(wife) suggested practicing up on shoot lately, I just use this as an excuse to buy new toy!!! Also, nobody can predict the stupid liberal won't try to ban more guns.

BTW, I went on treasure hurt( say bullet hunt) in the house. I know I do keep more that is not as carefully stored. It's in the bottom level of the house( still in the house, not the garage, just next to the family room). It's in the walk in closet under the stairs. I pull the boxes out, I have so many rounds from the old days. I had the presence to put some of the critical rounds in a sealed sandwich bags!!! Air tight!!! Now, I have 22 magnum for my little Freedom Arms mini revolvers, I have more Store bought reloads still in a sealed plastic bags, 9mm and .38 wadcutters.

I think I'll survive :)

You guys heard of a Federal Nyclad bullets? They are supposed to be very good for home defense. I still have half a box!!!

I just found out Glock is not double action in the first shot. I was reading about it, it just have safety on the trigger, the gun is actually cocked all the time.

That can be a deal breaker for me because if I want a round in the chamber I want it to be VERY safe, I do NOT want cocked and lock. That's why I never take the 1911 seriously even though I have a Gold Cup.

I kept thinking it's double action looking at the trigger. My 659 and PPKS are both real double action in the first pull, I don't have to worry about anything having a round in the chamber.

Upon searching, Sig SP2022 is about the only one legal in Kalif that is true double action first shot. Any other good reliable true DA/SA polymer that is legal in Kalif that I missed?

Last edited:
Thanks Sgt127, HK is a little expensive. Sounds like you can get one as reliable as it gets for the price of Glock($650 range).

I still have not decided against Glock, one way is not loading the chamber. More importantly, this is really a toy for me( don't tell my big boss that!!), I do have the 659 DA/SA that I loaded the chamber for home defense, it's not as if I need one right now. If not compare with you guys, I do have a lot of guns already and are all proven. If I do have to take one out concealed, I have the Walther PPKS 380 that is quite small and thin.

Funny so many people own a lot of guns, I mean a lot of them. I have a friend that is like that also, He owned up to 40 hand guns at one time until his big boss ORDERED him to thin out some!!! He is into 1911 style. I tally mine, I have 17!!! But still it's small balls compare with you guys plus mine are all old stuffs!!!

Last edited:
I cannot imagine semi auto pistol has no jam out of the box. Unless you tell me guns have improved DRASTICALLY over the last 30 years that it's a different world. I still have to see it to believe it. ALL my semi auto had problem right out of the box within the first 50 rounds.....

My experience is all my semi auto pistol become very reliable ONLY after I do a lot of work myself on the feedramp, chamber, ejector, extractor and ejection port. So when I buy another one, I expect that already.....

When I buy the Glock, I would immediately buy the ejector and extractor and the extractor spring, save the original parts and work on the new parts and see what happens. Sounds like Glock is well supported and can buy parts easily.
Perhaps guns have improved drastically in the last 30 years. I can't speak for all guns, nor do I have a statistically significant sample. That said, I've been carrying a S&W Shield 9 for about 3 years and have ~750 rounds through it. As I sit here today, I have had zero malfunctions of any kind. Knocks on wood. And it is box stock except for the sights. TBH, that's more than I could say for my G19. Don't get me wrong; my G19 was a good gun, but my Shield 9 has objectively outperformed it. And my Shield 45 is a different story, to be fair.

If you just want to buy those parts and tinker, by all means, go ahead. I'll suggest that you shoot it box stock for a while before you do so. I have spent a lot of time on gun boards and my impression from that is that when: (a) someone complains that a Glock is malfunctioning; (b) it's usually because the owner tinkered with it. If it's not working right, or even not working the way you like it, then perhaps you should spend the $ to get aftermarket widgets. I'm not convinced that you absolutely have to replace parts right out of the box to make it reliable. In today's gun world, few guns like that (needing work to make them reliable out of the box) are tolerated. There are just too many good choices out there for that to be acceptable.

As for ammo, that's a tough call. I don't know about anyone else, but my crystal ball hasn't told me how long it will last. Even in AR, where we have at least 3 ammo plants, I can't find ammo anywhere. My usual haunts have all been sold out, and that includes two different Wal-Mart stores and an Academy Sports. I don't mean "low on ammo." I mean "had zero rounds for sale." If you don't have any ammo right now, you might place some on back order, but I don't have any clue how long it will take to get it.

You guys heard of a Federal Nyclad bullets? They are supposed to be very good for home defense. I still have half a box!!!
Have 2 full boxes of 125 and 158 plus p, in addition to a box of the 125 grain bullets for hand loading. When carrying a 38 snubbie, it has the 158 plus p's in it. Also still have several boxes of the dreaded "Black Talons"

Lots of older guys on here (:>)

Yes. A Glock is a cocked and unlocked gun.

That’s not exactly true. When you press the trigger on a Glock the striker is moved further rearward. Pressing the trigger does finish some of the cocking of the firearm, so I wouldn’t consider it cocked and unlocked. We’ve had debate in the past about whether a Glock striker at rest has enough energy to detonate a primer, with mixed opinions. There are striker fired pistols that are fully cocked at rest. There are also DA/SA and DAO striker fired pistols where all of the cocking of the striker is done when pressing the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What tunnel said above. Think of it as between cocked and unlocked and double action (although with a short trigger travel.)

That said on your approved list if you want a real DA/SA polymer 9mm pistol you are looking basically at the Beretta PX4 Storm compact, the HK USPc, The HKP2000, HKP2000sk or the SIG 2022.

No real bad choices there but I fall in the HK camp.

Back