The Perfect Fighting Revolver

Don't know about "immensely", but I appreciate knowing that, since it is the windage adjustment that interests me.

Since I'm old school, this one would speak for me. :)

d2925e8493df3139bb60e63b83a9264cca65f62.JPG

I know exactly what a great fighting revolver is, what attributes it should have and just what custom features it should have, but if I told you some would disagree and I just couldn't bear that. :(............:p

I don't know about a "fighting revolver", but my bedside gun is a S&W Model 24-3 Lew Horton .44 special with low pressure rounds, it's what I have decided is the best compromise of a good payload and reduced sound pressure. It is a superb shooter.

IMG_0865_zpshdmoxd9o.jpg

My preferred carry revolver (when weather permits a cover garment covering an OWB holster) is this S&W Model 60-7 with a bobbed hammer that I purchased and installed myself.

IMG_0866_zpsjgocdqwh.jpg

I pretty much have to agree that I would not lighten the trigger on any carry gun.

Spacecoast - what ammo do you carry in the 60-7? That would be part of the "fighting" formula, but it's still the gun you brought with you regardless.

To the OP;

Wow, amazing how many people will jump on a wagon . . .

My personal preferences aside (I like bobbed hammers and 4-inch barrels), congrats on your 'new' gun. Maybe you could post a range report some time and let us know how it compares now vs. before the mods.

There is no more perfect fighting revolver ever created than the Smith & Wesson Model 19 4".

It is the absolute perfect balance and combination of ergonomics, size, weight, and cartridge power.

If I were going into a "social" situation, my Model 19 would be my first choice.

If my 19-4 had a round butt grip frame instead of marketed to LE for open carry, I could better enjoy the opinion that it is the best. Am thinking about ordering a Herrett's Detective with short grip length to make the gun more practical to conceal.

Ok, I'll weigh in that the 3" Model 13 round butt, or the 2.5" Model 19 round butt, are exceptionally close to the 4" Model 19.

I'd be very happy with any one of those if I had to engage in a "social situation."

I don't take issue with the term "fighting revolver". I think the term "fighting" needs to be defined by the OP as hinted to by a previous poster.

If I asked about the perfect "hunting" revolver, the first question that would come to most peoples minds would be something like... "what are you hunting?" We would all probably agree that hunting squirrels with a revolver would have a different set of "perfects" than hunting black bear with a revolver.

What and how are we fighting with this "perfect" revolver? A middle of the night with a lone intruder or a battle field attacking the hoards? In my mind, both are unique circumstances that would have different "perfect fighting revolver" specs.

While the OP has a revolver that he likes and fits his needs, I would never disparage it. It looks like a fine revolver. I would disagree though that it would be a revolver that I would put into a category of "perfect fighting revolver", only because I have preferences that I would like more. I like the slabbed sides, but would never bob the hammer. I like a 3" barrel, but would prefer a 4". I love stainless revolvers, but in this definition, I would prefer blued. Grips... I can go either way. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Since we cannot write our own script for time and circumstances for an encounter with a deadly threat, I think a fighting revolver would need to be versatile, while practical enough to actually bring to the fight.

Since we cannot write our own script for time and circumstances for an encounter with a deadly threat, I think a fighting revolver would need to be versatile, while practical enough to actually bring to the fight.

While I understand your point and do not necessarily disagree with it, that just brings us back to a statement of any revolver can be classified as a fighting revolver. To use over-used saying... "Any revolver is better than none. Shot placement is key."

A defense could be made of most any revolver as being both practical and versatile for a fight, but the key to making that classification, is what is the spectrum of fighting that you want it to fit into?

As mentioned, I would not want to hunt rabbit with the same revolver as hunting elk. I could use a .22 on an elk and I could use a 454 on a rabbit. Neither are perfect, but both would kill. I don't think you can find a revolver that would be a good middle of the road for both. Same for "fighting". What are we expecting to fight?

The perfect fighting revolver will be defined by a compromise considering realistic circumstances. When confined to what one can practically conceal, the range of choice of weapons narrows considerably. Typically one is not carrying some movie gun. I see no difference between "fighting" and "concealed". The difference would come in comparing open carry guns to those for practical concealed carry.

My Colt Trooper in 357 is "just right" for me. Then I again I like my 6" stainless Ruger Security Six-and Dan Wessons. I have a 4" nickel N-27 with a very smooth action. And a 4" M-57 I won't part with. Proper fitting and comfortable
grips are a must.

The perfect fighting revolver will be a different make, model, caliber, barrel length, type of sights, etc for each individual. While an 8 shot .22 may be ideal for an 80 year old elderly person that has arthritis and very weak grip strength, a 6 inch model 29 .44 magnum may ideal for a 350 pound, 25 year old farmhand.

There is no ONE perfect gun for everyone. I personally love the OP's custom piece and would be proud to own and carry it. It suits me just fine.

Why not?

I can't think of a single gun that I would consider a "fighting semi-auto" that DOESN"T have adjustable sights.

Is there any reason that a "fighting revolver" should not have adjustable sights but a "fighting semi-auto" should?

You mean like a mil spec 1911 with it's staked front and dovetailed rear? Or the Beretta 92 or the mil spec Hi-Power? These weapons come in both TARGET versions with adjustable sights and COMBAT semi-fixed sighted versions for fighting.

Even military rifles like the M4 and AKM have heavy robust protection over their sights.

Try dropping your fancy S&W on it's rear sight and see what happens to the thin flimsy rear blade and tiny finely threaded screws. :)

I could drag my M10 with fixed sights behind my car on a rope and it would still hold zero.

The perfect fighting revolver is the one that John Wayne used in his movies. It held an unlimited number of rounds - well over 12 and sometimes he would fire 17 rounds without reloading - the bullets were obviously controlled to hit the correct target - he could shoot while at a full gallop and hit the bad guy that was a quarter mile away galloping on his horse. The gun was a 45 caliber and had no recoil.
That is the perfect fighting revolver.:p

super sneaky steve said:
These weapons come in both TARGET versions with adjustable sights and COMBAT semi-fixed sighted versions for fighting.....
Try dropping your fancy S&W on it's rear sight and see what happens to the thin flimsy rear blade and tiny finely threaded screws.

What flimsy rear blade and tiny screws?

What's the difference between a "COMBAT semi-fixed version for fighting" (fancy words for drift-adjustable) semi-auto rear sight and a drift-adjustable revolver sight?

178044_01_lg_0_0_0.jpg

Last edited:
"I can't think of a single gun that I would consider a "fighting semi-auto" that DOESN"T have adjustable sights."

Really?

I can think of many...

Browning Hi Power

HK P7

Kahr K9

S&W 4506

A huge number of M1911 variants.

Sig P220

A gazillion different model Glocks

The list goes on and on and on.

I don't view the type of sights or the fact that they can/cannot be adjusted as being a critical quality of a fighting revolver or semi-auto.

Back