The Perfect Fighting Revolver

Other than concealed carry, I consider my 8-shot S&W Model 627 about as good as I would want for a "combat" revolver. Handles full house magnums no sweat, very accurate, and would make a heck of a club if you can't end a fight with eight 158gr HP's at 1400-1500 fps. Plus being an N frame it will take about all you can dish out in a .357. And for me the added bonus of my Henry with eleven more rounds.

I dig the OP's massaged M65, and agree a 3" Model 65 is (almost) the perfect "fighting revolver". Here's mine - a factory & stock 3" Model 65 with a buttery-smooth factory action:

CoinCropped.jpg

Only addition of an ejector rod shroud (a la the Lady Smith variant; and possibly converted to DAO) would be needed for the perfect all-aound "fighting revolver", IMO.

I am with you on the forcing cone. I shoot nothing but 158gr in it so less likely for it to happen. That Wiley Clapp is nice.

I wish those grips would fit on a Redhawk frame.

The GP I linked to in my earlier thread shows out of stock. But a stainless 3" is still available.

Those compact grips I linked to say they will fit some older Redhawks but call first. So you may have a chance of them fitting depending on the gun you own.

For me this would work just as well as the WC version.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1715.html

I still think a factory Smith 65 with 4" barrel would be about as good as it gets.

Yep. Thats why mine with a 4" barrel will remain stock. Mine was a police turn in and somewhere along the way it has been bead blasted. I really like it. But it has a Pachmayr finger groove grip and I don't like that. I need to find a service (?) wood grip and add a Tyler T-Grip.

Last edited:
Perfect fighting revolver?

Ok, start with my S&W 625 3 inch .45 ACP.

attachment.php

1. Lighten the grip frame (without weakening it.) Some holes, flutes, and scallops to take some metal off.

2. Thin the barrel and take off the shroud around the ejector rod (but keep the front part that locks the cylinder.)

3.Thinner trigger with smooth pad.

4. Cylinder and Slide shop extreme duty rear sight.

That and a good action job!

One can use +P .45 ACPs or .45 Supers.

Deaf

Attachments

• S625a.jpg
    S625a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 636
I carried a 4" M 19, however

I like this one. A fighting handgun is not a target handgun.
I dig the OP's massaged M65, and agree a 3" Model 65 is (almost) the perfect "fighting revolver". Here's mine - a factory & stock 3" Model 65 with a buttery-smooth factory action:

I don't know if I'd classify a revolver as an idea fighting gun. Defensive, yes, service revolver yes, but I'm not quite sure on the term "fighting revolver".

I do have a bit of experience with revolvers, having carried one in my 20 years in LE.

I policed in Anchorage where we had a good deal of large animal calls. Moose and bear at school bus stops, moose destroying peoples back yards, and much more common putting down moose involved in traffic accidents. This was more common then one would believe.

So my requirement was for a 357 Mag. I was issued a Model 28 Smith, 4 inch.

I've tried Model 19s, Model 13s, which were good guns but they are in reality a 38 designed to handle an occasional 357. I didn't shoot 38s in my revolvers, I shot heavy 357s.

As we know, it takes a good deal of practice to be able to handle the 357 and become proficient with it. That takes a lot of ammo, and believe me I shot a heck of a lot of 357 ammo.

The K frames didn't hold up. I shot them loose. I love the feel of the lighter weight K frames, for carrying on your belt 10-12 hours a day, weight makes a difference. But light weight also means more recoil.

I always went back to my 4" Model 28. Hot 357s just didn't seem to effect it.

I did get a Model 27, I liked shooting the longer 6.5 in barrel. It was easier to shoot. BUT, like I said, I had to carry it 10-12 hours a day, a lot of that setting in a patrol car. That extra 2.5 inches was a pain, and I mean that literally. It would push the revolver up to my rib cage, pinching my side.
Back to the old Model 28. It was the best compromise I could find.

In them days, the text book for police administration, the bible as you will, was O.W. Wilson's "Police Administration". In his book, Mr. Wilson said "the service revolver should be heavy, so it could be used as a club if need be". I do believe he had the old Highway Patrolman in mind when he made that statement. In todays PC world I think pistol whipping bandits would be frowned up, if the M-28 would be up to the task.

I have used mine to bust out more then one vehicle window.

I couldn't even guess the number of rounds I have through mine, I still use it today (my department gave it to me when I retired) I use it in Bowling pin matches, and carry it in the woods here in mountain Lion country. I have shot it enough that I'm more then comfortable with it.

According to S&W it was made in '73, and I was issued it in 1974. The bluing is a bit faded, and its smoothed out with over 40 years of hard use and dry firing, but its as tight (timing wise) as it was the day it was issued.

At near 70 years old it wont happen, but if I was to get back into LE today, it would be my number one choice of a carry gun. After years of use and practice with speed loaders, the 6 shot cylinder isn't that much of a problem.

When I hired on, APD issued 38 spl 158 gr RN bullets, cast and loaded by jail trustees. Now at the time I was new to police work, but I wasn't so trusting and ignorant about shooting to believe that was the best choice. I cast my own 150 gn LSWC (Lyman mold 358477) with 15 gr of 2400. I still use that mold today. The department did eventually go to 125 gr Winchester 357s, but I found the penetration of the SWC much better on putting down moose.

We all have our opinions, base on our studies or experiences, and its my personal opinion that there is no better revolver for LE then the old Highway Patrolman.

Model%2028.JPG

super sneaky steve said:
A fighting revolver should not have adjustable sights.

Why not?

I can't think of a single gun that I would consider a "fighting semi-auto" that DOESN"T have adjustable sights.

Is there any reason that a "fighting revolver" should not have adjustable sights but a "fighting semi-auto" should?

can't think of a single gun that I would consider a "fighting semi-auto" that DOESN"T have adjustable sights.

Is there any reason that a "fighting revolver" should not have adjustable sights but a "fighting semi-auto" should?

First, I don't think there was mention of semi-autos, and this is a revolver thread. Secondly, I am not aware of any everyday Glock with adjustable sights but would never discount the guns as fighting weapons or suggest that they were not used as such.

I am always amused by the number of folks who will gladly tell other people what they should think or shoot/carry when it comes to handguns.

To the OP, you have crafted a gun that fills your needs and that you have confidence in. Well Done!

I too started my LEO career carrying revolver, a M28-2 much like kraidwy's. Mine was a bit older but only by a year or two (bought it in Aug 1973 when I started the academy). Unlike him, I wore mine out by the end of my probationary year with constant practice in rapid fire DA, shooting my own 158g handholds.

At the end of that period the timing was shot, it didn't index properly (failed to carry up) and it had developed enough end-shake to need a gunsmith. Off probation I took advantage of the department's new policy of allowing semi-auto carry and finished my career toting one model or another of Colt 45 ACPs.

Arthritis now makes it hard for me to handle 1911s and I'm looking for the "perfect revolver" for me, for concealed carry and self defense. Haven't found it yet as "perfect" is a high bar to cross over.

As for the pickers-of-nits who don't like the term "fighting revolver", once you are under attack by an assailant, YOU ARE IN A FIGHT, whether you want to call it that or not. (smile)

Dave

Fighting Revolver

The last that I can think of was the M1917, both Colt and S&W made them for the US military in 45ACP.
Personally the 681 S&W would be my choice. Smith should have named the 681 the "Ultimate Combat Magnum".

gnystrom,
oooooooh 7 shot
What is the width of your 586L Comp?

The width is very close to the 686 six shot. I get 1.559 for the six shot and 1.62 for the seven shot. I have a Mild Sparks Avenger which was made for the 7 shot and is does fit a tiny bit looser with the 686 in it.

20151012_105616_zps5emx0irz.jpg

Several posters have nominated the Smith M19...I'd agree with that...light enough for day long carry, chambered in .357 Magnum, and a long enough sight radius to make long range hits. And did I mention a grip size that fits a normal sized human hand? It's got it all. Rod

First, I don't think there was mention of semi-autos, and this is a revolver thread. Secondly, I am not aware of any everyday Glock with adjustable sights but would never discount the guns as fighting weapons or suggest that they were not used as such.

Real Gun

I ask this innocently, the Glock rear sight is notched. Are you saying because the Glock front sight is staked and my revolver is notched that's your issue?

No issue. Just saying we are chasing our tails here, because adjustable sights are needed for people who desire them. There is no more to it than that. There is no way a sight would necessarily qualify or disqualify a gun for a particular purpose, except maybe pocket carry.

Last edited:
Back