The Perfect Fighting Revolver

The 8 round is an N frame from S&W and the Ruger we all know is massive though both great revolvers. The biggest difference for me is the night sight which I am very fond of on this revolver.

I like the OP's "perfect fighting revolver". My perfect/ideal CCW revolver is close...

Medium frame, check. To me it is a draw between the K-frame for lighter weight, or an L-frame if it is the 7 shot 686 Plus for added capacity.

3" barrel, check.

DAO, I assume that's a check (I assume the bobbed hammer goes with a DAO conversion). To me this isn't 100% needed, but a somewhat bobbed hammer is needed for a smoother draw, though if left DA/SA I'd want some knurling/checkering cut into the top of the hammer.

Front night sight, check (though I'd accept a fiber optic)

I'd add a round butt and boot grips for easier concealment. I'd also want it bead blasted for a matte finish so it is less shiny in case my cover garment came uncovered to make it less noticeable.

I hadn't thought about the slab barrel, but it seems like a good idea to shave an ounce or two off, and if (as in his case) you had the barrel cut to 3" from a longer barrel it keeps things looking more professional than cut off make/model info would.

If I was going out and knowing/expecting there be a fight, and I was taking a revolver (I'd prefer a 12-15 round .40 or 9mm handgun, or even better, a carbine, in that situation) I'd bring a 4" barrel, 8-shot .357mag N-frame or a .41mag or .45LC 6-shot N-frame.

Last edited:
Mr. Revolver Guy,

Great gun.

I agree with you on the square butts. Much easier to shoot well with. I also agree on the wood stocks, feel much better in the hand.

An advantage of a cut down barrel is a full length ejector rod.

I wonder if the rear sight is an issue. The glare from light striking the SS rear sight can interfer with a good sight picture when needed.

Thanks for the write up and the fun vids.

tipoc

Last edited:
For immediate SD on the street, and as a carriable "fighter," a fixed-sight 3" .357 covers a lot of ground.

While it's obviously not the more desirable high-capacity autoloader for post-apocalyptic, alt-reality zombie encounters :rolleyes: ... even then you could still do a lot worse.

Ruger Police Service Six.

Last edited:
While I'm not a Ruger revolver fan, and especially don't like full under lug revolvers, I love the looks of that service six police. I think that's a beautiful gun and would take one in a minute. I'm also curious about those speed loaders, what kind are they and how well do they work?

While I'm not a Ruger revolver fan, and especially don't like full under lug revolvers, I love the looks of that service six police. I think that's a beautiful gun and would take one in a minute. I'm also curious about those speed loaders, what kind are they and how well do they work?

Thanks.

The speed-loaders in the pic are some old Maxfire loaders. They work quite well once you've mastered the "insertion" technique, which requires a quick twist-n-swipe maneuver to seat the cartridges in the cylinder. It's different from the HKS speed loader, and I have a few of those too.

Can't even remember where I got the Maxfires, but here's one source (although showing out of stock for now):

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...al-357-magnum-5-shot-small-frame-package-of-2

My "perfect fighting revolver" is a 3" GP100. I like it much more than the 4" Security Six I used to own, or the Model 19 2.5" that preceded it.
With this revolver, if I can see it, I can hit it...out to 100yds.

These are the first six rounds I fired out of this GP, 25yds standing offhand...before I changed the grips. The first three rounds were fired with a six o'clock hold, and hit low.

I don't currently have a revolver, I'm not a fan of DA triggers but this is what's on my shortlist and if necessary would be my "perfect" fighting revolver, a Ruger Vaquero in .45acp
44190.jpg

Back