Taurus TCP .380 range report

Thousands of Rounds?

Not harsh to fire, I know I should not run thousands of rounds through this gun, but I want to.

Maybe I'm missing something - but isn't the gun designed to be shot? What will happen if it's taken to the range weekly? I want to be able to shoot what I carry and be comfortable with it. Is there a problem with running a few boxes through this gun 2 - 3 times a month? Does the LCP have the same issue?

Maybe I'm missing something - but isn't the gun designed to be shot? What will happen if it's taken to the range weekly? I want to be able to shoot what I carry and be comfortable with it. Is there a problem with running a few boxes through this gun 2 - 3 times a month? Does the LCP have the same issue?

I'd like to know something definitive on this as well.

According to the usually knowledgeable folks I've spoken with at my favorite LGS and my local gun range, this type of gun, by its very nature (lightweight, thin metallurgy), is not going to approach the durability of larger well-made semi-autos. One guy said that he thought an LCP would be good for somewhere around 10,000 rounds.

I hope these guns are more durable than that, but I do find this to be a somewhat reasonable claim. Just look at the width of the steel around the chamber on one of these guns. The LCP (and probably most or all of these little mouseguns) is not even rated for +P ammo, so it stands to reason that it's not going to be anywhere close to as durable as the larger semi-autos.

Last edited:
One guy said that he thought an LCP would be good for somewhere around 10,000 rounds.

IMO one would be lucky to get 10,000 rounds out of a 10oz pocket gun, they simply are made for carry, shoot a few rounds per month for practice but not range guns. No tool fits all jobs. I have the TCP when I go to the range fire a couple mags, clean and back in my pocket.

You're probably right. That's part of the reason I really don't want to spend more than $300, all taxes and other fees included, on a Ruger LCP.

B

Well, i just got a brand new TCP in a trade, it ends in B, it will not feed correctly, the slide needs to be physically pushed to slide closed.

im pretty upset.

everytime i eject a round, the round coming up does not feed in correctly.

Last edited:
inthebox: said:
everytime i eject a round, the round coming up does not feed in correctly.

Are you manually cycling the slide or are you actually firing your gun at the range for this to happen. If it's manually cycled it doesn't work real well. I tried that when I first got mine and thought that I bought a POS. I took it to the range and got an ftf every other round with one box of ammo. It turns out that the one round that my TCP won't cycle is Speer Lawman fmj. Everything else including cheap Russian Tulammo is 100% out of my gun. BUT if I try to cycle my gun manually at home it jambs almost every time (plus it's dangerous to cycle live ammo in a gun anyway).

I've had my TCP for 3 months and have fired over 800 rounds thru it with no problems. I have settled on Federal HST jhp as my carry ammo. I trust my life to it every day & know that it will perform when I need it to. Plus I am fairly accurate with it, just not as good as the OP is with his (his pictures from the range are impressive)

Congrats boykinhntr:

The TCP is one fine little pistol. I've had mine since February, and have had zero problems with it.

The more you shoot it, the better you will like it!:D

Yes,

its a manual cycle, ive never had a gun that did this before, ill fire it off tomorrow at the range and see.

the ammo i got is Federal

American Eagle.

fired 1 round and the slide did fully close.

ive never personally had a firearm that did not close or not feed correctly doing it manually...

im wondering if something needs to be adjusted or aligned??

I'd save yourself the headache and cut your losses. The TCP has had loads of problems, and you're probably going to be paying for (at least) a trip or two to Taurus.

I don't really agree, but it's your choice. You're probably going to end up putting a fair of amount of extra money (shipping costs) into this gun trying to get it to work properly. Taurus very often doesn't get it right on the first return trip.

If I were in your situation, I would get rid of it and take the loss now instead of dumping an unknown future sum of money into a defective product trying to get it fixed, especially since I would probably never really trust the gun again for its intended purpose.

But that's just what I would do. Regardless of whether or not that would be your approach, you do have options.

Taurus should be ashamed for dumping the TCP on unsuspecting people. So many of them have had to be sent back, and yet they are returned without a reliable fix. I got stung and have since gotten rid of it. I simply would not trust it.

Wish I had read this thread

Wish I had read this thread before dumping cash on the TCP. Will give Taurus one chance to make it function,ftf,slide locking after 1st shot,fte and more what a let down on my 1st and last Taurus.:(

Cleaned my tcp and shot 30 rds of Blazer brass fired every round no hicups. Shot a couple clips of Fiocchi fmj had to push the slide in by hand on 2 or 3 in each clip. Loaded 2 clips of Gold dot back to back fired perfectly. Maybe mine needs a 2 -300 round break in.
Will try again in the morning wish me luck,really like this gun when it functions.Hope it keeps feeding Gold Dots.

No problems with my TCP

I just purchased the TCP and experienced two FTF malfunctions within the first 50 rounds. I've just finished 200 rounds of Winchester white box ammo and haven't had any additional problems. It's accurate and the trigger is buttery smooth. I'm very pleased with my purchase and feel quite comfortable using this pocket rocket as my carry gun.

TCP sent back to Taurus

Just bought a TCP 380 three days ago and sent it back to Taurus with the following letter:

• 1. The main problem is that when trying to eject an unfired round from the chamber there isn’t enough clearance in the front of the slide cutout to allow the cartridge to pivot around and out, and becomes jammed…seriously jammed. (The fired casings eject fine.)

This happens every time with the two different Hornady JHP rounds I’m using (.966” to .977” OAL).

To clear the jam, I have to place the gun in a soft-jawed vise, pull the slide back with one hand and pop the cartridge out with a small screwdriver with the other hand. While prying outward on the bullet-end, the unfired cartridge comes out easily enough, but the extractor is hanging on tenaciously.
Obviously the gun is inoperative at this point and I may not have a vise with me all the time.

• 2. The gun shoots fine with good groups but shoots about 3” left at 10 feet; can you do anything about this?

• 3. The detents in the fired cartridge primers look a little light, had one misfire.

• 4. You can probably see where I smoothed some of the VERY sharp remaining machined surfaces/corners on mag well, slide cutout and lower rear of slide rails. Any proper smoothing you can do would be most appreciated.

They did arrange for a Fedex overnight pickup at their expense, kudos.

Whit

I just bought one of these guns as well, and I am blown away by the accuracy and smooth function of my particular gun. 100 rounds now, no problems, and the gun goes everywhere with me already. I like it, and 100% pleased with it so far.
And my gun is only days old, and the serial number ends in B. According to Taurus, B models are the lastest revision of the gun, NOT A models as someone suggested earlier. Apparently there were barrel and extractor production changes at some point.
My serial number is 43838B, and my gun was built in December of 2010.

Last edited:
Back