Taurus TCP .380 range report

Belt clip for TCP

Is anyone aware of an IWB belt clip for a TCP? Yeah I know there are IWB holsters out there but I want a belt CLIP, like the below one on a P32

Attachments

• DSCI0052.jpg
    DSCI0052.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 47
whitster,

Blazer aluminium cases tend to give misfires in some pistols. I've seen it before.

That is why I use Blaser brass cases.

And my TCP runs perfect. No it ain't my primary CCW gun but as a backup it is real hard to beat.

Deaf

Taurus .380 TCP

A lot of people on this forum posted that they really weren't sure about getting this gun or didn't know if it was worth the money. I am a woman and I have had my little Taurus for a little over a year. My husband bought it for me to keep it with me in case something was to happen. At the time I was working in a gas station in the middle of nowhere and there were a lot of druggies around, so I went to the local firearms shop and looked at a few guns that would be good for concealed carry. I had picked up the kel-tec and something else before I picked up the taurus. Well, I fell in love with the way it fit my had and the way it felt. At that point in time the only gun I had ever shot was my husband's tokarev and I loved the way that one felt in my hands. Well, that day, I went home and looked up the owners manual and read it on line. I had never owned a gun and I particularly liked the this one. He surprised me with it a few days later. I went out a shot 50 rounds with it and fell in love with it from the first time I shot it. It was smooth, reliable, and very well built, and fit in my pocket extremely well.It is a great little compact gun. It is worth every penny and we are currently looking for a Taurus 709 slim, another gun that I want. I haven't picked it up or looked at it, but I have been to the sight and the reviews are great, so when I get one, I will let you know how it is. I hope this helps anyone that has been questioning this purchase. I would recommend it to all levels of shooting expertise.

TCP

I initially liked mine very much and certainly found it to be unusually accurate for a small pistol. However after about 200 rounds or so it began to have a number of problems, the most serious of which were chronic issues with slide jamming for reasons that a couple of trips to Taurus didn't clear up. I am now getting rid of it for these reasons. I have four other Taurus pistols (Mil Pros) that I have been very happy with (over a thousand rounds), so the experience with other Taurus guns has been good, but I wonder about the durability and longer reliability of the TCP which I would agree was early on a very good gun.

Taurus TCP .380 PT better than expected!

Before I purchased the Taurus .380 last monday 10/3/2011 I looked on several websites, I was between the Ruger .380 and the Taurus. after look many reviews and some videos I went for the Taurus. I'm surprised how small and concelled is this gun.

Today 10/6/2011 I went to the indoor shooting range, I bring my S&W Sigma 40 also. Shoot in four different distances: 14, 21, 31 and 50. Let me tell you I'm fully impressed with this little fella. I was thinking at the distance on 50 was going to be impossible to hit but was fantastic and hit it good everytime, my sigma 40 did the job also but not as accurate and good as this small gun.

The Taurus did not jammed as some reviews I read, shot 50 shells and was excellent, for my surprise trying to hit the target at the distance of 14 was more difficult than in the long distance.

Remeber is the first time I shot a small gun.

I carry the gun on my back pocket as a wallet and I even forgot is there, great gun, excellent concealed fully recommended. I paid U$ 269 + taxes.

Hope this help.:):):)

Taurus TCP Update

The tauus TCP is still my primary carry weapon and Buffalo Bore is my carry ammo. I only shoot it a few times a year (just don't have time to shoot as much anymore). I feel comfy carrying it and still feel it's a good gun for the price. I saw blued ones at sportmans just last week for $199. I encourage new shooters or potential concealed carry folks to think about a few things for carry. A friend at work didn't take my advice and bought an springfield xdm .40 and now he's shopping for another carry gun due to the weight for carry.

-what gun is light enough that will not make me leave the gun in the car, leave it at home, annoy me, rip a hole thru my pocket, allow all attire, good for all seasons. In short "I can & will carry all the time"

-can I carry a 10 oz gun and shoot it well enough to be confident and accurate with slight trade off of full length grip, little more recoil but always be armed or will I carry the 20+ oz gun and then determine it's too heavy and makes my pants fall off, hurts my side, back, stomach, doesn't stay concealed, shifts my jacket to one side, or leave in the car to be stolen, to heavy for my purse, takes up to much room. Your carry gun should not take lots of planning or seen as an annoyance or task. Many can carry the larger heavier pistols concealed but everyone has different tastes, attire, and thoughts, just make sure your choice is "reliable and a tool you always will carry".

Update

I still carry the orig TCP and it works fine even though I did have slide locking open initially when mag was not empty and fixed it by grinding off the slidestop edge that I'm positive was getting hit by bullets cycling up the mag. I also did a feed ramp job and improved the cycling smoothness. I also caution a few things that I've found on "several" gun makes semi autos.
1)A really "tight" gun may be more accurate, but may also be more prone to jamming due to tightness from fine dirt, dust, powder, lint. There's a reason people say AK's are more reliable in dirty environments. The tighter a gun, the more prone to jamming from gunk.
2)If you think a gun is supposed to malfunction because it needs 300-500 rds to "break it in" fine. Your car doesn't constantly not work the first 1,000 miles because it has to break in or you'd be mad. Excess Grease on a new gun that gather dirt, powder and gun shavings can cause issue when new, but not after cleaned & oiled. 50 rds should be enough to break in a gun unless things are to tight or off during manufacturing and it take several hundred rounds to wear in hardened metal to make it smoother. If a gun is made correctly it should function after 50 or so rnds.
3)If you shoot rnd nose/range bullets, always shoot your defensive loads ie...at least 20-40 rds and 2 diff mags to ensure they work. I've fixed and warned several over the years who had this problem expecially with hollow points and truncated/flatish nose bullets.
4)If you load up a mag 1 shy of full and medium speed cycle the gun smoothly, no stopping or causing resistance and your bullets stop on the ramp or halfway into the chamber, this is a bad thing. If you have to hit the back of the slide to make it cycle, something is contoured wrong either the very top of the breakover of the feed ramp going into the chamber is to sharp of an edge, the extractor hook on the bottom of the extractor has a sharp point, or the feed ramp angle is slightly off. Some would say, it doesn't matter as long as it goes bang during shooting, but I feel the gun is not running smooth as it could and if you shoot weak handed or not a super tight grip could malfunction. Use a Dremel tool and some 1/4 to 1/2 inch around tips (feel like pencil eraser with grit in it, no the ones that feel like 200 grit sandpaper) on your Dremel to take out the sharp edges on the feed ramp breakover into chamber (this one can cause the bullet to be halfway into the chamber. Changing the angle of the feed ramp should not be required and requires more care to do, but a slight polish/contour in some cases can help feeding. Also remember that if all this fails and your bullets still stop in middle of the feed ramp, it's likely the magazine lips on the very front may need to be evenly and slightly bent open. I purchased a SCCY 9mm and nothing worked until I bent the lips, then it fed flawless. This was after doing all the items above with little improvement. Called SCCY after my hours of above troubleshooting & Found both mags with the new SCCY gun were bad for those ser # guns per SCCY and SCCY replaced them (new ones worked fine). Until I bent the mag lips edges open a hair the gun never fed a full mag. The sharp metal pointed edge on bottom of the extractor can bite into the soft brass and also cause resistance. Polishing & rounding, don't grind off a bunch. All gun parts are "hardened" on the outside, no all the way thru solid hardened metal, so if you grind off to much you get into the softer pot metal and can cause issues.

I bought another TCP 2 years later and went to the range and found the magazines were not compatible with each other and had to mark the mags so I didn't mix them up. Be careful and they changed something between models. The mags wouldn't even seat at all and then I found out they changed something between model years.

Last edited:
Back