Taurus TCP .380 range report

Winchester white box ammo

This flat tipped ammo was problermatic in my new (last summer) P238. Sig advised me not to use it.

It does feed in 230 and 232 pistols however. Also, every once in a while someone posts that it feeds OK in their P238s. I guess each gun (ie., feed ramp) is slightly different.

Trooper Joe

My expirence with the tcp

So far ive had my tcp for about 3 weeks ive put about 150 rounds through it and from what a lot of forums are saying it sometimes does act with diffrent types of ammo which has proven to be true. I used remmington FMJ the first time and actually had 3 jams on the first 50 rounds but then i shot 2 clips of my cor bon deep penetrating HPJ that i bought and not a single problem since then ive used winchester HPJ with it and had 1 jam each 50 rounds which is not bad but still puts me at unease. If anyone has any other advice on great quality HPJ they use i def would love the input. Other than that tho this is by far my favorite gun to use just got my CCW permit here in va and i carry it with me everywhere. Its def been a pleasure to shoot other than the high cost of 380 here.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 417
Sold, what are they running? ($$) Think I could trade out a very clean PPKS (stainless/Interarms) "even Steven"?

Tcp cost

I've seen then as low as 260 and as much as 340 it really just depends where u live and how much of a supply the store has of em I got mine for 300

I have had three Kel-Tec P3AT (all fluff and buffed), So not sure if you can fluff and buff a TCP, but polishing the barrel contact areas and ramp cant hurt.

Hundreds of rounds through them over the years, typically no more than a FTE one in about 200 rds on average. One stoppage like that can be attributed to the ammo.

Why three P3ATs? son confiscated one, gave one to a friend, and I still have one.

My TCP isn't treating me so well

Guys, need some help. Took the Taurus TCP to the range after my gun dealer polished the feed ramp and I can only get the first round I rack to fire. Every time after that I have a FTE and FTF and have to clear the gun. I am about ready to pitch this gun in the trash. I keep reading where other owners are having very good luck with this gun but not me. I know I may be doing something wrong with this little gun but on the same outing I also shot 200 rounds through my XDM 40 with no problems at all. I need any type of feedback on technique or something. I am going to contact Taurus tomorrow to arrange to have the gun looked at. Any help will be appreciated. At this point, I feel I wasted my money.

Josephus, send it back to Taurus, it has a lifetime warranty. I have heard great feedback from their customer service as of late. A guy on the FL forum sent his in and had it back in less than two weeks. I have not had any trouble at all with mine, I have now shot about 250 rounds through it.

Joe-

I'd try stripping the gun and cleaning it top to bottom and then re-lubing it from the ground up- absolutely everything, with a very light amount of machine oil or something similar, and then see how the gun operates. This will also give you the chance to make sure that the gun was reassembled correctly by the gunsmith after his work on it.

There could be any number of reasons why it's no longer working. I'd at least take it apart and put it back together 2-3 times before sending it back to the factory. It would be kind of silly to get a letter along with the gun when it's returned saying 'wrong recoil spring' or 'incorrectly lubricated'.

I did strip it down twice now and before I hit the range yesterday. I cleaned the hell out of it and lightly lubed it and felt very optimistic that it would shoot. I really like this gun and hope I can get it to be dependable. I have tried to shoot several different brands of ammo and so far I was able to get only two rounds off without jamming. One guy I spoke with said you have to try to minimize the recoil by the way you hold the gun. He thought maybe I was holding the gun where the recoil was causing the problem. I am no expert on these semis, just learning. Taurus will be hearing from me. Now I wish I had purchased the Diamond Back or LCP. Thanks.

Unless you are absolutely married to the idea of a TCP or LCP size pistol, trade that POS in on a 100% reliable Bersa Thunder. Mine eats everything I've fed it. Shot over 1000 rounds with 0 malfunctions.

Does it jam with other shooters? If so that should rule out the grip issue. Does it jam if you cycle rounds through it by hand? Also, I am not really an expert, but I wouldn't think a FTE would normally be caused by the feed ramp. Basically, ya, I would just send it back to Taurus and see what they do. If you are getting the run around or long hold times on the phone, I think you can actually apply for a return/repair on their website and get the necessary information emailed to you.

I did let other shooters try it and they had the same result as me. Obviously I kept thinking it was me and my grip or something but if others had the problem, there really might be a problem with the gun. Only the dealer that polished the feed ramp was able to get 5 rounds off before it jammed.

Just send it in to Taurus. THey will pay shipping both ways and 3 week turnaround has been the norm of late. Don't waste your time anymore with it...then test fire it when you get it back.

If it still doesn't work - send it back in and when you get it back- I would sell it.

Fool me once...

I will add that mouse guns are ammo sensitive.

Funny - I have an old .25 Sterling that I got from my Dad. That little thing works all the time.

Spoke with Taurus already this morning, filled out the work order, and FedEx is picking up tomorrow with Priority shipping and insured. Maybe it will get lost while shipping and I can find a gun that will work. We will see if they are able to make this gun dependable. They said looking at a 3-4 week turnaround...we'll see if that happens. By what I read, there are a bunch of satisfied owners that have not had problems like me.

I'm currently looking to purchase a TCP, LCP or maybe the Kel-Tec. I've been holding off on making the purchase and doing as much research as I can on the three. Please let us know how the customer support at Taurus treats you and how the gun works once it's returned. Thanks!

Quick Turnaround

I just heard from FedEx tonight that my Taurus TCP was being delivered to me by 10:30 tomorrow. Not sure yet what was done to the gun or if it was replaced but that is an incredible turnaround. See my post when I sent it in.

Hello Friends,
just signed on to this forum and have to say I sorry to hear the problem you have had with the TCP, I bought one about a month ago and can say I've put 300ish, rds in this little jewel with only one or two jambs, when I first bought it I noticed that the feeds ramp was rigid, so I broke it down and cleaned the whole thing very well and polished the ramp to a nice smooth shiny finish, and it works very well, I bought mainly for my wife as Her first pistol,(she's in training) and she really enjoys shooting it, I took her to the range a week ago and she put 150 rds, down range, without zero problems from the pistol itself, now she was holding it to start with loosely and it "FTE" twice, only because it was rocking back to hard, I have only been running 95gr, flat tip ammo I get from luckygunner.com in the 100rd bags it military ballistic industries and they fire very well .. I choose this tcp over the keltec, and LCp for two reasons, 1, it has chamber indicator and the slide locks on last round fired , over all it a great little pistol IMO.

I have grouped with the TCP at 15 yrds, in a pattern close to that,, once you get the site picture understood with this little one it not bad IMO

Back