Taurus haters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jet interior

It's a measure of the ability to manufacture precision mechanical products-any products. Of course there's going to be exceptions like it's pretty obvious the Russians and Chinese are very capable of producing amazing things but I can't think of a single sporting gun they produce that is on anyone's just gotta have list.
There's no Russian or Chinese equivalent of Holland&Holland or Krieghoff.
I was making a generalized statement and as such there will be exceptions.

There are some darned good guns being produced in the Pilippines and no cars are made there. Metroarms guns are just plain great guns. Rock Island guns from there are pretty good as well, but Metroarms guns are notably better.

I ride a Royal Enfield Interceptor, designed in England, manufactured in India and it is a super-nice bike, very reliable, great handling, stellar reviews all over Youtube, and is now the 3rd or 4th best-selling bike almost everywhere, taking a big bite out of Triumph's market share and it might be the death knell for Harley Davidson. It just came out about a year ago. To my knowledge no cars are made in India.

The Chinese SKS rifle is legendary and so is the Russian AK47 which isn't just legendary, it is iconic as the most ruggedly reliable assault rifle ever made.

Last edited:
The Chinese SKS rifle is legendary and so is the Russian AK47 which isn't just legendary, it is iconic as the most ruggedly reliable assault rifle ever made.
That is one of the funniest things I've read all week.

Next time, please warn me. I nearly choked on my breakfast.

That is one of the funniest things I've read all week.

Next time, please warn me. I nearly choked on my breakfast.
I hope you never have to choke on an AK47. :D:cool:

attachment.php

Or an SKS.
:):cool:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Between my family and I there are a total of 5 Taurus brand firearms in my household, I've never had any issues with any of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it as many times as the subject is raised, the issue with Taurus isn't lack of quality or reliability, but rather terrible QC/CS, which in turn has resulted in the illusion that a lack of overall quality/reliability is the issue due to the sheer amount of negative feedback from those who got a lemon and had to deal with Taurus' inept CS Representatives and couldn't reach a positive conclusion.
In reality, Taurus has no worse overall quality control than Ruger, but unlike Taurus, Ruger actually has very good Customer Service, ergo those who get a lemon tend to get the issue sorted out promptly, thus leaving them with a much more positive opinion of the company.

It also doesn't help matters that many folks have a bad habit of making Taurus' reputation for lack of reliability something of a self-fulfilled prophesy when they go in so expecting the firearm to fail that any hiccups they experience during their first trip out to the range get immediately self-diagnosed as symptoms of a much bigger problem when in reality the gun just needs broken in. (And before anyone says, "My Smith ain't need no break-in!" Your Smith & Wesson probably cost you 2x the amount of a Taurus.)
In addition, I've seen a lot of folks in videos online who really seem to neglect their Taurus firearms, handling them with far less care than they do their other firearms, and thus likely neglecting them even furthermore behind the scenes. You can't expect a firearm that you neglect, handle carelessly, and do not clean/lube on a regular basis to maintain perfect function/reliability.

Back in early 90's I was young and believed lots of bs about the reliability of the AK-47 so JGS had a deal where if you bought 3 Wasr- 10 AK's you got them cheap with ammunition to boot so I got them, figured I would keep the best one and sell the other 2 at the gunshow for a little profit.
All three were pos's jammers, after getting them the "in the know" AK guys at the local range told me those Romanian guns aren't any good, neither are the Chinese ones, you have to get the Russian made guns! which were about twice as much and getting close to the cost of a Colt carbine, I sold them and have been a AR guy since. That was an expensive lesson that I've never forgotten.
I'd really like to have a 4" 22mag revolver and the Taurus seems worth a try, there are some pretty good video's on trigger jobs on youtube.

Between my family and I there are a total of 5 Taurus brand firearms in my household, I've never had any issues with any of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it as many times as the subject is raised, the issue with Taurus isn't lack of quality or reliability, but rather terrible QC/CS, which in turn has resulted in the illusion that a lack of overall quality/reliability is the issue due to the sheer amount of negative feedback from those who got a lemon and had to deal with Taurus' inept CS Representatives and couldn't reach a positive conclusion.
In reality, Taurus has no worse overall quality control than Ruger, but unlike Taurus, Ruger actually has very good Customer Service, ergo those who get a lemon tend to get the issue sorted out promptly, thus leaving them with a much more positive opinion of the company.

It also doesn't help matters that many folks have a bad habit of making Taurus' reputation for lack of reliability something of a self-fulfilled prophesy when they go in so expecting the firearm to fail that any hiccups they experience during their first trip out to the range get immediately self-diagnosed as symptoms of a much bigger problem when in reality the gun just needs broken in. (And before anyone says, "My Smith ain't need no break-in!" Your Smith & Wesson probably cost you 2x the amount of a Taurus.)
In addition, I've seen a lot of folks in videos online who really seem to neglect their Taurus firearms, handling them with far less care than they do their other firearms, and thus likely neglecting them even furthermore behind the scenes. You can't expect a firearm that you neglect, handle carelessly, and do not clean/lube on a regular basis to maintain perfect function/reliability.
I pretty much agree with this. I think Taurus could almost completely turn their negative publicity around by doing just one thing: stop allowing the few bad guns from ever getting shipped out for sale. Of course this would require much more extensive testing of every firearm before being shipped, such as loading every revolver with good snap caps and firing it at least 100 times in SA and DA mode to thoroughly verify good timing and lock up. Gritty triggers should be weeded out as well. The single cylinder of live fire should not only verify that the gun fires, but that it hits POA. This could be expensive enough to require a few more bucks for each gun, but I for one am willing to pay that.

Their customer service needs a good butt-kicking and overhaul from top to bottom. About the only way to contact them is via their live chat, and even that is spotty. Their CS phone numbers are totally useless, all you get is a half hour of elevator music then the call terminates.

Last edited:
I have no use for Taurus or new generation S&Ws. I’ve had a dozen of each, always from trades. S&W is better gun, more money, you get what you pay for. I’m the kind of guy who would rather have a few real good firearms than 2 dozen second rate pieces. Ruger is quality but on heavy side. I’ll use my gun dollar for older models of S&Ws.

I wouldn't buy a Taurus sight unseen. But, these days I wouldn't buy a S&W or Ruger sight unseen either. You must admit that the Taurus revolver safety lock beats the crap out of S&W's.

I don't have a Taurus revolver at this time but I do have a Taurus TH9c 9mm that I very much like. I especially like the lack of ambi controls hanging off the right side and the slick little loaded chamber leaf. Works like a charm with never a hiccup.

jimku wrote: To my knowledge no cars are made in India.

Let me help enlighten you: three that come to mind right off are Hindustan Motors, Mahindra, and Tata. Since IIRC 2008 Tata has owned Juguar and Land Rover and they have been in the auto business since the late 40's or early 50's. There are several others not including partnerships with several Japanese car manufacturers and a past one with Daimler.

India also has quite the extensive arms industry; mainly to supply their military and domestic market. Look up the IOF revolver.

I had a Taurus Mod 85 made in the early 90's and it worked like it should and the bluing was very nice also. Like a dummy I traded it off. Had a Mod 709 Slim and it functioned like it should but it just didn't fit my hand and showed in my shooting accuracy. Bought a used Mod 44 and just had to send it in for repair, was told 12 weeks turn around time.
Bought a new S&W M&P 9 2.0 a week ago and could not fire one round through it. The extractor seemed like it was welded in place and wouldn't slip over the rim of the case. CS said 8 weeks minimum for repair.

Jimku

"I ride a Royal Enfield Interceptor, designed in England, manufactured in India and it is a super-nice bike, very reliable, great handling, stellar reviews all over Youtube, and is now the 3rd or 4th best-selling bike almost everywhere, taking a big bite out of Triumph's market share and it might be the death knell for Harley Davidson. It just came out about a year ago."
With all due respect as you said your motorcycle was designed in GB, many of the tech parts are manufactured in more industrial countries so yes it's made in India but not without lots of outside help from other countries. And if and when Harley fails it certainly won't be because of your RE. As far it challenging any Triumphs me thinks not, the RE is a neat retro economy bike, no one will buy one that can afford a Tiger.
Getting back to the point I was making India doesn't any cars or guns abroad....as far as I know, if they do they're not a big player in the world marketplace.
I had a Ishapore Enfield that had been run through the armory and been freshened up with stock repairs and a new 308 barrel, I sold it in a weak moment and really regret it now, for a surplus gun it was nice.
My ride.

I've purchased a total of four new Taurus revolvers and 2 of them were fine, the other 2 had issues. One of the issues was a locked up cylinder when it was new out of the box. The store I bought it from wouldn't remove the trigger lock to let me test function it. So I didn't discover this until I had it out int he truck. I ended up banging it on the floorboard of my truck a couple of times and whatever was stuck was knocked loose and it started working like normal.

The other issue was some pretty bad rifling damage to one of the lands, this was from the factory. My fault though for not discovering that one prior to purchase so I take the blame for it. I found it the same afternoon when I got it home to do the first cleaning and lube on it. So I got mad and sold it the next day after I bought it new....I did of course disclose the rifling issue to the buyer.

DoubleK..nice 700 Honda. I was on a 1000 GSXR util mid December when a car puled out in from=nt of me. At the moment I am stuck on my 73 Kwaker H1D until the stores reopen so I can buy my RR.

Now too my / the point.... Mahindra makes Tractors which are distrubuted in the USA. Who's tractors would you buy??? Mahindra, Kubota, or John Deere?

I live in Metropolis Los Angeles and would buy Deere or Kubota with no fear based on who's equipment I have seen and known.

Indian, Chinese, Russian Q.A. control?
Arintinian, Brazilian, Chilean Q.A. control?
Turk Q.A. control?

Get my point?

I have one of their auto's and it has worked fine. It was part of a recall but I got the memo to late. So I am keeping it as it is. I also have several of their revolvers in .44 special and really like them and have no interest in getting rid of them.

I'm old enough to remember the first generation of Hyundai. I had several friends and family members take advantage of the price point and to-infinity-and beyond warranty. Several of those new cars were in possession of mechanics as much as the owners. As far as I know, Hyundai as grown up since then; I'm not confident Taurus has.

Personally, I have owned three Taurus revolvers. Two worked as expected and one was stubborn even after a lengthy stay at the warranty center. It just didn't want to work - a very lazy revolver. I once had a .44 special ultralite but got rid of it because the ammo was pricey and I'm not a reloader. I do regret selling that one.

I wouldn't buy another Taurus except, maybe, possibly, perhaps one of their 92 clones for my son who has been asking for his own 9mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back