Taurus haters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this forum biased against Taurus with moderators browbeating those who post positive things about Taurus? I am asking because if so, I do not belong on this forum and want no part of it.

Not at all. You can count on a moderator to step in if you post deeply political opinions, racist comments, or what they call drive by posts. Other then that, join in and have fun.

I have a Taurus Model 83 - .38Spcl. Bought at an auction for $210. It is what it is. An inexpesive revolver that goes bang each and every time I press the trigger. Good accuracy too boot.

I've only had 2 Taurus revolvers. One misfired because of firing pin not hitting the primer hard enough and the other one had a bent barrel.

Taurus replaced the barrel but I fixed the other problem myself.

As of now, I don't own any Taurus products.

I've only got one Taurus Tracker - year 2000 or so - model 970 in 22lr. After some polishing and changing springs, it sports a 2 3/4 pound trigger break and an action as smooth as a Colt Diamondback against which I compared it side-by-side. This thing is now a contender.

Pic :

Bayou

Last edited:
I've owned two Taurus handguns. The first was a PT-92 many years ago that never failed to function. I traded it because I could not find thin grips for it and I have small hands. I also bought a used .38 spl revolver (not sure of the model). I liked it because it had a nice trigger pull. Then I shot it and discovered about every third or fourth round failed to fire due to light strikes. I'm sure somebody trying to do a cheap "trigger job" had put in a spring that was too light. I got rid of it, too.

So, I don't have anything specifically against Taurus. I have simply gravitated to other brands over the years. The biggest complaint I see about Taurus on this and other forums is the quality control/customer service issue. I haven't seen any moderator "brow beat" anybody over anything. That doesn't mean they won't disagree with somebody. If you can't take some disagreement, you're only hurting yourself.

I’m not a Taurus hater, but after owning 7 Taurus handguns, I no longer purchase Taurus guns. I tried very hard to like them, but got tired of buying new guns and having to send them back for repairs...and waiting months for their return. Now, these experiences were all pre 2008, so maybe they’ve improved. In my experience it’s the Taurus fans who making accusations...like calling someone a Taurus hater because of an honest response, etc. if you like Taurus and they work for you, that great. Have at em.

Taurus guns owned..,
850 x 2
Pt111

The 94 and 605 were great. The 905, one of the 850s and the PT111 malfunctioned and/or broke the first time out. The 85 also had problems, but I had a friend who was willing to work on it, so he took it off my hands. Years later he still has problems with it, but keeps it as a range gun for some reason. One of the 850 was also good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reason I am asking is that I was on another forum where one moderator with TDS (Taurus Derangement Syndrome) is on a one-man "Destroy Taurus" mission and who uses his status as a moderator as a bully pulpit to browbeat and intimidate anyone who disagrees with him, that being anyone who posts anything positive about Taurus. Keep arguing with him, regardless of how politely you do so, and he will issue you a formal warning for "being disrespectful". After a certain number of those warnings you will be banned. I contacted the administrator and he is of the same ilk. I have banned that forum from my life, and I hope the same thing doesn't happen here.

Last edited:
I'm not a taurus hater as a matter of fact I purchased this 92FS over 38 years ago when I was just a private in the army and it was all I could afford. It's a great da/sa trigger which is spongy but works for me has been very reliable all these decades and never thought about trading it in or selling it. At the time I could not afford the berettas, but now that I have fired some berettas from my friends collection, I see I was not missing much. Could be because it has been broken in nicely.
ot9JuLtl.jpg

Reason I am asking is that I am on another forum where one moderator is on a one-man "Destroy Taurus" mission and who uses his status as a moderator to browbeat and intimidate anyone who disagrees with him, that being anyone who posts anything positive about Taurus. Keep arguing with him, regardless of how politely you do so, and he will issue you a formal warning for "being disrespectful". After a certain number warnings you will be banned. I contacted the administrator and he is of the same ilk. I will no longer participate on that forum, they are a disgrace.

I don’t see what that has to do with this forum. Sounds like you were having a temper tantrum in your original post here.

I owned a Taurus 38 snubbie years ago that was flawless and that I really loved. It was stolen in a burglary. I have a Taurus Tracker .41 magnum that is also flawless and that I dearly love.

I recently bought a Taurus 605 357 snubbie. The cylinder would not lock up … checked out fine at my FFL, but when I got home and loaded it with snap caps to give it a good "work out", the problem surfaced. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and they have a 12-week turn-around on warranty work. That was three weeks ago.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,075
  • AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 01.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 01.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 283
  • AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 03.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 03.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 6,594
Last edited:
I don’t see what that has to do with this forum. Sounds like you were having a temper tantrum in your original post here.

It doesn't have anything to do with this forum, it is the reason I asked the question that started this thread, and the reason I am coming back to this forum. If being thoroughly fed up with that other forum can be called a "temper tantrum', then yep, I suppose I am having a temper tantrum. :)

Last edited:
I'm not a taurus hater as a matter of fact I purchased this 92FS over 38 years ago when I was just a private in the army and it was all I could afford. It's a great da/sa trigger which is spongy but works for me has been very reliable all these decades and never thought about trading it in or selling it. At the time I could not afford the berettas, but now that I have fired some berettas from my friends collection, I see I was not missing much. Could be because it has been broken in nicely.
ot9JuLtl.jpg
How do you get photos to show up like this? When I attach photos, all that shows is a dumb link.

I had a transfer bar break on a Taurus revolver after about 100 rounds
They did fix it and it's fine now,
Just glad I was just shooting at a target when it broke.

I had a transfer bar break on a Taurus revolver after about 100 rounds
They did fix it and it's fine now,
Just glad I was just shooting at a target when it broke.
Was it a recent revolver or an older one?
How long did it take them to fix it?

Is this specifically about revolvers or semi autos too? I have the Public Defender and an older PT-22 and they both have their quirks, but I'm not willing to say they're junk. The PD has an issue in DA with the trigger getting stuck at times, but the single action unsticks it and never has an issue.

I was thinking about calling them to get it looked at, but with the pandemic I'm not in a huge rush to do that this year.

The PT-22 is a small rimfire pistol and I've yet to find one that runs 100% reliable. It does seem to have more issues than other .22 semi's I have, but I'm thinking it's a magazine issue, but I don't have much desire to spend money on a new mag for a gun I'm probably going to sell anyway. Don't like the long, heavy (yet smooth) DAO trigger.

So, if there's a gun I want that happens to be a Taurus, I don't have any issues buying it, the Taurus brand doesn't turn me away, but when there's what I perceive to be a better gun made by someone else for the not much more money, I'll buy that other brand instead.

I went back and edited your post to display the images.

Basically, click on the links for the files you upload, then paste the urls into the popup menu that comes up when you click the
insertimage.gif
icon.

My first gun was a Taurus Model 83, and it has held onto the title of worst gun ever. I avoided them like they were radioactive for over 30 years. I finally got a not great, but not bad 809 that was super touchy on ammo. A second 809 was and is the opposite, it eats everything. Several great PT111 G2's followed, and I recently got two more good ones, a PT-92 and an oddball, a 658 8 shot non ported 3" .357. I'm almost at the end of my gun collecting, so I don't know if there will be any more coming along, but the last ones have all been great.

My first gun was a Taurus Model 83, and it has held onto the title of worst gun ever. I avoided them like they were radioactive for over 30 years. I finally got a not great, but not bad 809 that was super touchy on ammo. A second 809 was and is the opposite, it eats everything. Several great PT111 G2's followed, and I recently got two more good ones, a PT-92 and an oddball, a 658 8 shot non ported 3" .357. I'm almost at the end of my gun collecting, so I don't know if there will be any more coming along, but the last ones have all been great.
I had a great older 38 Special Taurus snubbie that I loved years ago that was stolen in a burglary. I currently have a .41 magnum Tracker that is about 9 years old that is flawless, accurate, super-nice trigger and that I love and a PT22 that runs flawlessly on CCI mini mag ammo. But I just recently bought a 605 stainless 357 snubbie that checked out fine at the FFL but when I got home and loaded it up with snap caps to give it a good work-out, before long the cylinder stopped locking up. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and sent it in for warranty work, 12-week turnaround. I hope to get back a gun that runs flawlessly, but have seen a lot of horror stories about Taurus warranty work. I do not hate Taurus, every maker has a few lemons, but I am a bit apprehensive about what I might get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back