South African safari; hunting exotic animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i pay thousands of dollars to hunt all over the world, and i have seen up close what pouching and the unregulated killing of animals in the field is. so will the trolls please tell me how much of your money and time you put towards helping wildlife survive? or are you a armchair animal saver. and you show by putting up the map of africa that you don,t know the facts about habiat in africa. africa is a very big place and it has a lot of land that will not even support crab grass. and the animals you posted that were near or are extinct was not done by regulated hunting. eastbank.

The contributions of those, like myself, who have killed exactly ZERO elephants and bought ZERO products made from elephants (such as ivory), are GREATER than buying the deaths of elephants through hunting (or buying ivory, etc.). Simple math. Adding and subtracting. My actions are neutral while hunters subtract from the population.

The population has gone from Millions to thousands directly due to MAN's behavior in irresponsibly taking land and killing through pulling the trigger or firing the arrows and throwing the spears. Totally intellectually dishonest to think this is due to mother nature.

Absent disease and predation, deer and elk die of starvation. The dust/dirt/sand on the food they eat wears down their teeth such that they can't bite and chew with any efficiency. They then weaken and die.

Somehow, some see that as preferable to a hunter's killing in that last year of prime condition.

First we're not talking about the deer and elk population which are in the tens of millions and quite healthy, able to quickly reproduce.

Next, the absurd argument. I realize we're not talking about humans or murder so let's not get sidetracked. But the logically fallacy of the argument remains. Killing a creature is killing a creature, plain and simple. Who's to say whether it would live a day or a year or a decade more. Reminds me of the Monty Python skit where the old guy is taken out into the street to be hauled off, protesting "I'm not dead yet..."

so close to elephants you could hear their belly,s rumble or get stared down by several cape buffalo at 20-25 yards and not want to do it over and over, i guess you may not be a true hunter and maybe should take up still fishing. eastbank.

So you are only a true hunter if you shoot large game, in Africa or similar. Is there an element of one-upmanship by big game hunters, you shot a deer I shot an elephant, I have a bigger trophy on the wall than you.

Last edited:
i didn,t shoot either, how does that fit into your scheme of things. i have not shot many animals i could have, that don,t fit into your scheme either. the animals i hunt are fair chase on foot 99 percent of the time and i,m 71. why don,t you just admit it you don,t like hunting, so be it. if you think every animal is the same and deserves the same protection you should not be hunting any animals at all from rabbits to elephants. you have spouted off all the reasons why certain animals should not be hunted and i have spouted the reasons they should be hunted. so why don,t we call it a day and go home, no minds have been changed or will be change by things said here.. eastbank.

i didn,t shoot either, how does that fit into your scheme of things. i have not shot many animals i could have, that don,t fit into your scheme either. the animals i hunt are fair chase on foot 99 percent of the time and i,m 71. why don,t you just admit it you don,t like hunting, so be it. if you think every animal is the same and deserves the same protection you should not be hunting any animals at all from rabbits to elephants. you have spouted off all the reasons why certain animals should not be hunted and i have spouted the reasons they should be hunted. so why don,t we call it a day and go home, no minds have been changed or will be change by things said here.. eastbank.

And you apparently just like killing things...

The personal attacks from hunters have mounted up on this thread. For presenting a differing view, I've been called troll, tree hugger, bunny hugger, and a host of other derogatory terms. It's tiring...

A few points -

I don't take issue with hunting or being a carnivore in general. It's a natural behavior. I prefer eating animals from hunting versus from filthy, inhumane animal farms. I prefer free-roam food - cows, chickens, elk, deer, etc. If it were possible to eat without killing things, I would prefer that. But something always has to die for something else to live - it's part of the way the world works. Please don't tell me what I like and don't like.

I completely understand the arguments from all sides. With a JD and working on my MBA, I grasp the arguments and read the information. Please stop the personal attacks and saying that I'm not understanding the arguments, because it's silly.

I read and understand and reject as absurd the arguments proposed for big game hunts of endangered or struggling species. You don't kill things if you're trying to save them. Every day, hundreds of these creatures are killed - legal or illegal. Killing more adds to the problem.

Hunters want to kill things, plain and simple. The simplest way for hunters who really want to save the species above all else, would be to donate the money otherwise spent on a hunt, to the conservation efforts - just send the money directly to whatever the best organization - be it the game wardens, the local communities, whatever...

Let's look at the "conservation" efforts of ducks, for instance. Hunters only selfishly want to "conserve" them. Monies spent on their conservation are only to shoot and kill more. I differ in that I selfLESSly want them conserved. I suppose the end result is conservation, we just approach it differently. If those monies on taxes or fees were optional, my hypothesis would be most would NOT pay it. Reason? Ever go to a open shooting pit and see all the natural "conservation" laying around... old computers, tv monitors, glass bottles, and trash all shot up and laying around... one of many examples how gun owners are sometimes our own worse and selfish enemies...

Back on topic, the most fundamental, simple solution does NOT involve shooting one more elephant or endangered animal...

I am engaged in this not to necessarily change the minds of those vested in and entrenched in their hunting positions, but any fence-sitters or those considering a hunt to re-consider the issues.

Last edited:
And you apparently just like killing things...

The personal attacks from hunters have mounted up on this thread. For presenting a differing view, I've been called troll, tree hugger, bunny hugger, and a host of other derogatory terms. It's tiring...

A few points -

I don't take issue with hunting or being a carnivore in general. It's a natural behavior. I prefer eating animals from hunting versus from filthy, inhumane animal farms. I prefer free-roam food - cows, chickens, elk, deer, etc. If it were possible to eat without killing things, I would prefer that. But something always has to die for something else to live - it's part of the way the world works. Please don't tell me what I like and don't like.

I completely understand the arguments from all sides. With a JD and working on my MBA, I grasp the arguments and read the information. Please stop the personal attacks and saying that I'm not understanding the arguments, because it's silly.

I read and understand and reject as absurd the arguments proposed for big game hunts of endangered or struggling species. You don't kill things if you're trying to save them. Every day, hundreds of these creatures are killed - legal or illegal. Killing more adds to the problem.

Hunters want to kill things, plain and simple. The simplest way for hunters who really want to save the species above all else, would be to donate the money otherwise spent on a hunt, to the conservation efforts - just send the money directly to whatever the best organization - be it the game wardens, the local communities, whatever...

Let's look at the "conservation" efforts of ducks, for instance. Hunters only selfishly want to "conserve" them. Monies spent on their conservation are only to shoot and kill more. I differ in that I selfLESSly want them conserved. I suppose the end result is conservation, we just approach it differently. If those monies on taxes or fees were optional, my hypothesis would be most would NOT pay it. Reason? Ever go to a open shooting pit and see all the natural "conservation" laying around... old computers, tv monitors, glass bottles, and trash all shot up and laying around... one of many examples how gun owners are sometimes our own worse and selfish enemies...

Back on topic, the most fundamental, simple solution does NOT involve shooting one more elephant or endangered animal...

I am engaged in this not to necessarily change the minds of those vested in and entrenched in their hunting positions, but any fence-sitters or those considering a hunt to re-consider the issues.
Though i agree we should not conduct personal attacks, you should realize you are making blatantly wrong statements. You do kill to conserve. We execute or jail murderers. Animals have boom and bust cycles based on food and predators. By killing we make it less of an up and down. Id much rather be shot than starve to death.

"The simplest way for hunters who really want to save the species above all else, would be to donate the money otherwise spent on a hunt, to the conservation efforts - just send the money directly to whatever the best organization - be it the game wardens, the local communities, whatever..."

Trouble is, there is no incentive to do that. Why bother? An elephant hunt, with license fee, guide and travel costs plus the "whatevers" can easily add up to $50k. No real incentive to send off that kind of money just to receive a "Thank you" note.

Here in the US, if there were no hunters out there actually hunting, there would not be money available from abstract charity from the private sector to amount to a hill of beans. Who would lobby state and federal legislatures to come up with the money? Heck, if abstract charity worked all that well, we'd not need AFDC or food stamps.

Hunters and gardeners are the only do-it-yourself folks when it comes to providing food. Everybody else merely hires some other folks to do the scut work for them, supplying grocery stores and restaurants.

"Let's you and him get dirty hands. But not me! It's yucky!"

The contributions of those, like myself, who have killed exactly ZERO elephants and bought ZERO products made from elephants (such as ivory), are GREATER than buying the deaths of elephants through hunting (or buying ivory, etc.). Simple math. Adding and subtracting. My actions are neutral while hunters subtract from the population.
That's not true, at all, in many parts of Africa.
In many places, only nuisance Elephants can be hunted.

Natives that have learned just how valuable an Elephant is to "white hunters" will put up with a little more destruction, crop damage, and harassment from the elephant, in order to find someone willing to pay for the privilege of killing it. Often, the Elephant moves on before a hunter can get to the area.

The natives that haven't learned that lesson just kill the elephant whenever it becomes a problem.

The ratio of "impulse" killing vs "planned" killing, as quoted in a recent documentary (anti-hunting, at that) was 5 to 1.
Where kills were "sold" to a foreign hunter, 80% fewer elephants were killed than in areas where the natives just executed the offending animals themselves.

In affect, 'White trophy hunters' were saving 80% of the Elephants that would otherwise be eliminated, by paying well enough for the locals to put up with a little more damage and harassment.

The same goes for Lions, Rhino, and several other species.
Rather than just killing the nuisance when it becomes a problem, the locals find a way to tolerate it until a 'buyer' can be found. If it takes too long and the animal moves on to other territory... it lives.

Those outsiders that fail to take any action, whatsoever, have no influence on the "saved" animals. And that, in effect, aligns the apathetic "I'm-not-hurting-anything"-crowd with the impulse killers.

That could apply to both sides of the debate.
Except it doesn’t. I try to address each point raised using facts and logic. In contrast, my comments are ignored or simply responded to with a variant of one of the following clichés/sound bites: “If someone is killing animals they don’t have to kill they can’t really be supporting conservation.” Or “Why don’t we pay people to do what hunters will pay to do.” Or “Hunters don’t really care about conservation they just like killing.” Or “Hunting is the problem, not the solution.”
Why not just say you like hunting animals.
Again? Of course people like hunting. What you don’t seem to believe is that a person who likes hunting can also care about conservation and appreciate that the money they spend on hunting goes to a good cause. You keep pretending that liking hunting must mean that a hunter cares about nothing else but hunting and therefore must be dissembling if they point out that properly managed hunting provides many benefits to others and to nature.

Besides, as pointed out more than once, even if they don’t want to provide any benefits and just want to hunt, a properly managed sport hunting program insures that they will still be providing the benefits anyway.
This is false. The animals removed from the population by managed sport hunting do not negatively affect the population and even contribute to maintaining healthy population levels. What you continue to ignore is that all animals eventually die. You keep pretending that no animals die if sport hunters do not kill them. That is not reality. They will all die regardless of whether they are hunted legally or not. Instead of allowing all the animals to die of natural causes (or be killed by poachers)--essentially allowing them to go to waste, some can be converted to a valuable resource, a resource which benefits the remaining animals and many humans.
The population has gone from Millions to thousands directly due to MAN's behavior in irresponsibly taking land and killing through pulling the trigger or firing the arrows and throwing the spears. Totally intellectually dishonest to think this is due to mother nature.
First of all, no one has suggested that mother nature is responsible for the population reduction of elephants. So that is either a non sequitur or a strawman, take your pick.

Second, while it is true that man’s behavior is largely responsible for the reduction in elephant population, you correctly note that not all of the problem is hunting. In fact, a large part of the problem was habitat encroachment, the second largest part was uncontrolled hunting—what we would call poaching today.

Properly managed sport hunting addresses both of those problems as explained many times in this thread. Because sport hunting gives elephants value to the locals and to those directly involved in the hunting profession, those persons are motivated to maintain the elephants’ habitat and to provide anti-poaching support. In addition, sport hunting funds government anti-poaching efforts as well.

So while your comments about the population reduction are accurate, they actually support sport hunting. This has been another pervasive theme in your comments—you make no practical distinction between poaching/uncontrolled/illegal hunting and properly managed legal sport hunting. In reality the difference is tremendous.

One more thing. One of the things that may not be obvious in this discussion is how much it costs to legally kill an elephant. Without even getting into transportation costs, equipment costs or fees paid to professional hunters, the cost of an elephant trophy fee generally runs into five figures. Anyone who thinks that there are thousands of people lining up to shoot an elephant at those prices are badly mistaken. It should go without saying that the number of animals being taken is quite small. That makes the benefits provided all the more impressive.
First we're not talking about the deer and elk population which are in the tens of millions and quite healthy, able to quickly reproduce.
A properly managed sport hunting program takes into account population size and reproduction rates when determining how many and what type of permits to sell. To see that this is true, you can look at the population statistics in areas where managed sport hunting is allowed.
Killing a creature is killing a creature, plain and simple. Who's to say whether it would live a day or a year or a decade more.
That’s what I said your objection was in one of my previous posts. Throughout this discussion you have tried to make it sound like you are arguing from the position that sport hunting is injurious to the animal population in specific and conservation in general but in reality your objection is to hunting/killing trophy animals pretty much regardless of any other facts that apply.

In fact, taking a limited number of animals that are past breeding age and near the end of their lifespan has at the very worst, a neutral effect on the population. Eliminating those animals via a properly managed sport hunting program provides money for anti-poaching efforts which preserves the breeding population and it preserves habitat by giving the animals value to the locals.
I read and understand and reject as absurd the arguments proposed for big game hunts of endangered or struggling species.
The arguments are not just “proposed” they are based on the factual success of such activities when properly implemented. You can reject them because you do not like the idea of them, but that does not change the fact that they achieve the claimed goals—goals you claim to support.
I differ in that I selfLESSly want them conserved.
You also differ from hunters in that you and those like you provide only a tiny fraction of the monies required to actually accomplish the conservation that you support, while hunting provides the major portion of it.

Your motives may be pure and you may feel superior, but it’s the money from hunters that does the heavy lifting—and that’s true regardless of whether or not their hearts are in the right place. As I’ve said before, that’s part of the beauty of the solution—a solution that is, you may be interested to know, if not whole-heartedly supported, is at least accepted as viable and necessary by the World Wildlife Federation.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/wwf_articles.cfm?unewsid=6766

As a leading conservation organisation, WWF works to address illegal or unsustainable exploitation of wildlife. Within this framework, WWF accepts or supports hunting in a very limited number of contexts where it is culturally appropriate, legal and effectively regulated, and has demonstrated environmental and community benefits.​

http://www.dw.de/wwf-defends-elephant-hunts-for-conservation/a-15891067

Trophy hunting presents a difficult ethical problem for the WWF, which says it may be one way to reduce poaching for ivory, the number one killer of Africa's elephants.

"It (poaching) kills 12,000 elephants a year," said Gramling. "We've also learned – and this can be a challenge for conservationists – that in some circumstances, regulated hunting has to be tolerated, because it reduces the poverty that fuels poaching."​
…the most fundamental, simple solution does NOT involve shooting one more elephant or endangered animal...
The problem with that statement is that only long term solution found to be truly effective does, in fact, involve properly managed hunting. A simple, fundamental, pleasing, selfless, <insert preferred adjective here>, “solution” is of no benefit if it does not truly solve the problem.

Here’s another endorsement of properly managed trophy hunting from what might be a surprising source to some.

http://conservationmagazine.org/2014/01/can-trophy-hunting-reconciled-conservation/

”Better evidence would come from proof that hunting can be consistent with actual, measurable conservation-related benefits for a species.

Is there such evidence? According to a 2005 paper by Nigel Leader-Williams and colleagues in the Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy the answer is yes.”​

”…Leader-Williams also pointed out that the implementation of controlled, legalized hunting was also beneficial for Zimbabwe’s elephants. “Implementing trophy hunting has doubled the area of the country under wildlife management relative to the 13% in state protected areas,” thanks to the inclusion of private lands, he says. “As a result, the area of suitable land available to elephants and other wildlife has increased, reversing the problem of habitat loss and helping to maintain a sustained population increase in Zimbabwe’s already large elephant population.”​

53ec9f617295fa6c9409dd10be92883e.jpg

As a leading conservation organisation, WWF works to address illegal or unsustainable exploitation of wildlife. Within this framework, WWF accepts or supports hunting in a very limited number of contexts where it is culturally appropriate, legal and effectively regulated, and has demonstrated environmental and community benefits.
Do you not think I could find quotes contradicting your view, or the one above, I have resisted posting quotes of organisations that would be similar to my view and contradict yours because its a pointless exercise.

Do you not think I could find quotes contradicting your view, or the one above, I have resisted posting quotes of organisations that would be similar to my view and contradict yours because its a pointless exercise.
When you come back out of hiding and stop making fallacious arguments, please bring said quotes with you (from reputable sources).

When you come back out of hiding and stop making fallacious arguments, please bring said quotes with you (from reputable sources
To answer your question first I would need to know what fallacious arguments you think I am making, and what you consider as reputable sources.

Umm . . . the World Wildlife Federation (WWF) IS one of YOUR groups; in fact, they are one of the originators of CITES, were instrumental in creating the Corcovado National Park, located on Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula, launched the Wildlands and Human Needs program, etc., etc., etc.

Interesting you didn't know that.

trolling on the internet, you don,t even have to get wet. some people don,t like hunting,some people do. every body who posted here know where they stand on this issue, after 10-12 posts its just came down to trolling. no new information added just trying to keep getting a response. eastbank.

Umm . . . the World Wildlife Federation (WWF) IS one of YOUR groups; Interesting you didn't know that.
I know it was pointed out in post 88. Its not one of my groups, whatever that means. As I said its pointless quoting organisations, if people disagree they will just question the source.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why a person can't both find the practice of trophy hunting distasteful, and appreciate good it does for conservation efforts as a whole.

I enjoy hunting for food and occasionally for pest control, but hunts that heavily produced are nothing that particularly appeal me.
However, if someone has the money to spend, and the ability to convince themselves that they're actually "hunting", more power to them.
They're almost certainly providing more support to African conservation efforts than I ever will.

If the net effect on the health of the hunted species is positive (which it seems to be), who cares about the motivations of the individual hunters?

"If the net effect on the health of the hunted species is positive (which it seems to be), who cares about the motivations of the individual hunters?"

Seems to pretty well sum up this thread. Seems like enough for now; I'm quite sure that some variant of this theme will come up again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back