South African safari; hunting exotic animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
troll on, troll on harvest moon.if you don,t want to hunt, DON,T. if you do,BOOK A HUNT. believe me the people who benifit from it will welcome you. if
I thought the post and forum were for debate. Are you trying to close down the debate by calling people trolls that have a different opinion than you. Instead of having a go, I would be interested in knowing why people want to hunt and kill large game in another country, i just don't get it.

THE BRITISH. your PH,s were called the ira. eastbank.
You have lost me with that reply.

The only difference between legal and illegal is that some human bureaucrat has granted an arbitrary license and heavily profited from it. It's the same end result, a dead creature.

And given that humans have caused the extinction and decline of dozens of species THROUGH HUNTING we are obviously not very good at saving species...

Recently, an auction for 1 hunting permit to kill a Black Rhino was granted for $350,000. Yep, that's a lot of money. Seems REAL conservation efforts would be to just put that money toward saving them, without pulling the trigger.

This ALL boils back to the greed of a hunter for his trophy, versus a desire to save a species.

As evidenced by history, the hunter will kill the animal whether it benefits or harms the species. The after-effect (benefit or harm) is secondary to the discussion. Anecdotal or cherry-picked evidence may show short term increases in animal populations from "legalized" hunting and expensive permits, etc. However, this is not the model for long-term success.

Real conservation individuals would NOT kill the creature and just donate to the cause.

Real efforts to save them require protection, laws, enforcement, etc. Guards, drones, etc. to monitor and protect them. I'd rather my tax money go to that than the billions wasted on other programs.

not trying to stop debate, just saying the hunters pay their way and with out them the animals will not fare very well, the 350,000 was for a very old non breeding black rhino, by taking him before the buzzerds got him a lot of money went into saving the others, but i,m sure you would rather see him starve to death or get killed by the big cats when he couldn,t defend himself anymore. and PLEASE LIST THE ANIMALS THAT YOU THINK WERE LEGALEY HUNTED INTO EXTINCION IN THE LAST 150 YEARS, OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD I CAN THINK OF SEVERAL,ELK,BIG HORN SHEEP, MULE DEER,WHITETAIL DEER, BEAR,TURKEY THAT WERE SAVED FROM NEAR EXTINCION BY HUNTERS DOLLARS. GUNS, AMMO, AND OTHER SPORTING GOODS HAVE A SPECIAL TAX ADDED TO THEM TO HELP THE STATES PAY FOR THE WILDLIFE MANANGING. SO EVERY SPORTSMAN PAYS AND THAT MORE THAN MOST OF THE SO CALLED ANTI GROUPS . EASTBANK.

Real efforts to save them require protection, laws, enforcement, etc. Guards, drones, etc. to monitor and protect them.

We have those. They're called harvest limits, game laws, penalties including fines and jail time, etc. Game wardens/conservation officers, game cameras and GPS collars, etc.

All paid for by the Pittman-Robertson act. Which as most of us know is paid for by outdoorsman/hunters/firearms enthusiasts...

Rather get a springbok... Delicious... Or if you want the hunt of your life a cape buffalo! Also good and a fine trophy if ever there was one to be had. There are a decent amount... But if you shoot one of our rhinos...

The only difference between legal and illegal is that some human bureaucrat has granted an arbitrary license and heavily profited from it. It's the same end result, a dead creature.

And given that humans have caused the extinction and decline of dozens of species THROUGH HUNTING we are obviously not very good at saving species...

Recently, an auction for 1 hunting permit to kill a Black Rhino was granted for $350,000. Yep, that's a lot of money. Seems REAL conservation efforts would be to just put that money toward saving them, without pulling the trigger.

This ALL boils back to the greed of a hunter for his trophy, versus a desire to save a species.

As evidenced by history, the hunter will kill the animal whether it benefits or harms the species. The after-effect (benefit or harm) is secondary to the discussion. Anecdotal or cherry-picked evidence may show short term increases in animal populations from "legalized" hunting and expensive permits, etc. However, this is not the model for long-term success.

Real conservation individuals would NOT kill the creature and just donate to the cause.

Real efforts to save them require protection, laws, enforcement, etc. Guards, drones, etc. to monitor and protect them. I'd rather my tax money go to that than the billions wasted on other programs.
Good luck gettting enough money from pure donations. You wont get 1/99999 of what you get from hunter tags and such to save animals.

Could someone explain why they want to hunt large game, elephant giraffe etc. As I said I don't buy the conservation argument if peoples motive was to help they would just donate money. If they enjoy killing animals and collecting trophies just say that.

Good luck gettting enough money from pure donations. You wont get 1/99999 of what you get from hunter tags and such to save animals
If peoples motives were what they say they are, conservation there would be plenty of donations.

Could someone explain why they want to hunt large game, elephant giraffe etc. As I said I don't buy the conservation argument if peoples motive was to help they would just donate money. If they enjoy killing animals and collecting trophies just say that.

If peoples motives were what they say they are, conservation there would be plenty of donations.

Why wouldnt anyone want to hunt large game? Just because you dont see the appeal doesnt mean others dont see one. Can someone explain to me why someone collects guns? If their motives were to defend themselves and others then they would obviously love national disarmament because no guns = no murders right?

Uhm yea hunters love hunting. And theyll keep buying those tags to hunt so that they can hunt in the future.

Regardless of anyones ulterior motives without hunters money, animals would go extinct and state/federal parks among many outdoor recreational activities would not exist.

My last post on this. i hunt and kill animals in the states and several other countries, including africa(my third trip comming in june).

The animals are used for food in poor areas and money goes to the peoples welfare along with much needed jobs, trackers,skinners, camp workers. and then there are other things that help the country your hunting in(gas, food, equipment and where you stay between hunts.

The ph and the trackers know what animals and the amounts that need to be taken out to keep the other animals healhty. if they over kill-hunt the animals they will not have jobs in the long run.

The only animal i want to hunt in the big five is the cape buffalo and thats what i,m going to hunt in june.

The sad fact is that where there is no hunting the animal populations suffer and decline. with out the hunters money and the food provided from the animals the people suffer and when their children are hungry the poaching begins. In botswana i saw a blue wildabeast caught in a wire snare and it had pulled the small tree out and was dragging it, i tried to get a shot at it but couldn,t get a shot. two day later one of the trackers found what was left of it, not pretty. eastbank.

Last edited:
Well, in a world where you get to decide how words are defined and what constitutes real conservation individuals, maybe that would be true. That's not the way the world works.

In your opinion, "real conservation individuals would NOT kill the creature and just donate to the cause." That's one opinion, however given that there is ample evidence to indicate that real conservation can and does take the form of properly implemented government managed sport hunting, your opinion is difficult to support factually.
A false dichotomy. It is possible to do both. Properly implemented, government managed sport hunting has been tremendously successful at preserving--even RESTORING species--and not just based on a few anecdotes or cherry-picked data sets.
Name one species hunted to extinction through government managed sport hunting.

The species that have been driven into extinction by "hunting" were either species subject to eradication efforts, those that were hunted commercially, or hunted for subsistence without government management.

By modern definitions, it would probably be far more accurate to state that those species were poached into extinction.

It was the lessons learned from those tragedies, in fact, that have helped us become very good at saving species through controlled hunting.
The species remains threatened by illegal hunting for meat and ivory, habitat loss and human-elephant conflict. Most range states do not have adequate capacity to protect and manage their herds. If conservation action is not forthcoming, elephants may become locally extinct in some parts of Africa within 50 years.
There are two VERY interesting and telling points in this quote.

1. There is no mention of legal hunting being a threat to the species. That's because it's not. Controlled legal hunting is, in fact, beneficial to species because it provides strong incentives for locals to report poaching, to avoid poaching themselves, it gives the elephants and their range commercial value which provides the government with money to help manage & preserve the species and the land on which they live.

2. It calls for conservation action. Historically, the most effective long term conservation actions have been controlled legal sport hunting programs.
Absolutely incorrect, misleading and totally bankrupt in the logic department. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine that someone could pack more misinformation, logical fallacy and nonsense into fewer words.

I think we all know that looking at two end results and seeing that they're the same doesn't mean that there's no difference between how those two results were obtained or that the two end results are equally preferable. By your logic, if two men walk out of a bank with $100,000 then there's no difference between them and no reason to ask them what happened inside. The fact that one stole the money and killed a teller in the process of getting the money in his hand while the other one withdrew the money from his own account is apparently irrelevant--they're both leaving the same bank with the same amount of money so the end result is the same and therefore must be equally preferable. Hogwash.

So even if it were true that the end result is the same, it is certainly not true that two processes are equally preferable simply because the end result is similar.

With that out of the way, it's not even the same end result. In one case the number and age/sex of elephants killed is tightly controlled while in the other case the only restriction is how much the poachers can get away with killing--basically indiscriminate killing in terms of numbers and sex. Clearly two different end results.

And, of course, there is a HUGE difference between an elephant being killed by a poacher using expedient weapons (often snares and small caliber rifles) with no attempt made to effect a humane kill and an elephant being killed with a minimum legal caliber with a professional hunter standing by to insure that the elephant doesn't escape wounded or suffer needlessly.

It's also true that legal hunting, by law, makes complete use of the animal. The meat is generally distributed to locals who need it, the other parts of the animal are used for commercial purposes, usually to support the local economy. Illegally killed elephants are usually left to rot with the exception of small amounts of meat and the ivory.

The idea that "some human bureaucrat" (as opposed to a non-human bureaucrat, I suppose :D ) is the only one who profits from legal hunting is ridiculous. The locals profit in the form of revenues from hunters, in the form of meat, from the control of the elephants damaging their subsistence farming and from jobs in the hunting profession. The professional hunters obviously profit. The government profits. But most of all, the elephants profit because the money from hunting makes preserving their range financially viable, helps pay for anti-poaching efforts, incentivizes the local population to be anti-poaching, and helps control populations to insure healthy herds.

The licenses are not issued "arbitrarily". The number sold and the type of animal to be taken are typically based on the results of surveying the herds and deciding what is best in terms of maintaining a viable population, dealing with depredating or dangerous animals, etc.

One more point worth noting. Elephants have no natural predators. If they are not killed by hunters they typically die of starvation when their last set of teeth wears out and they can no longer effectively grind up the vegetable material that makes up their diet. There's a pretty good argument to be made that a quick death by a legal hunter shooting a minimum caliber weapon, supervised by a professional hunter to insure that the kill is humane, is about the best possible way for an elephant to pass out of this world. There's no question that it's a better way than having poachers kill them by trapping/snaring them and/or filling them full of bullets from small caliber weapon until they can't stand up any longer.

There are many differences between legal and illegal hunting and the overall difference is tremendous.
The beauty of it is that even if the hunters don't really want to support conservation efforts (although most clearly do) the money they pay for hunting permits, the fees paid to professional hunters, the tourism expenses and the products from the animal itself still benefit those efforts.

As to why some people enjoy hunting--I suspect that there have been volumes written on the topic. In the simplest analysis, I suppose that it's a way to challenge to one's self--just as people challenge themselves with other outdoor activities. Why do some people mountain climb while others play croquet, why do some jump out of airplanes while others are rockhounds? Different people enjoy different types and levels of challenges.

Animal Management for Dummies Quiz:

Farmer Bob wants to hold the largest herd of cattle possible, and ensure its continued existence.

Farmer Bob has pasture that will only sufficiently feed the 20 cattle he has.

10 of those cattle had spring calves.

What does farmer Bob do to ensure maximum number cattle, and continuation of his cattle herd?

A. Celebrate! He now has 30 cattle for an increase of 10! Woohoo!

B. Hire somebody to kill 10 of them.

C. Sell 10 permits to allow hunters to kill 10 of them at $5000 each.

A. Will give him more cattle this year, but they will overgraze and begin to destroy the pasture. Next year the number will climb to 45, but the pasture has had the grass dug out and rooted up, and will now only support 5, and by the following year most will have died off from starvation and mal-nourishment, the few that survive will be in poor condition. The ones that die are unfit for human consumption.

B. This will solve Bob's problem, and he will be assured of always having 20 healthy cows. The meat goes to the community.

C. This will solve Bob's problem, and he will be assured of always having 20 healthy cows. Bob has $50,000 cash in his pocket with which to plant grass, and improve his pasture with more nutritious plants, buy some adjoining land and expand it, so it will support more animals and produce more surplus animals to bring in even more cash next year for even greater improvements and expansion. The local community provides housing, meals, transportation, and other business services for the hunters. The meat goes to the community.

How does Farmer Bob determine which 10 animals should be killed?

A. Let the hunters with permits pick out the ones they want.

B. Accompany them to the pasture, and let them know which animals they may take, singling out the oldest, the least healthy, the ones that cannot reproduce, and most of the bulls.

If you pick the correct answers, then you have learned that the only way to increase the overall number of animals is to make the pasture produce more and better grass, and /or increase the size of it, and that increasing the population beyond maximum capacity will destroy the pasture and most of cattle in it.

it is perfectly fine to trophy hunt even very endangered species, this black rhino thing shouldn't even have been an issue if the PETA people bothered to read.

old rhinos don't breed so well but yet keep their territory and keep younger healthier ones from breeding, and to diversify the genepool especially in such a small population is a good thing.

hunters on average do more for animals and the enviroment then so called animal friends.

where are all those animals friends really? I never see them in the woods, too busy drinking lattes and the newest IPA downtown? I am out there hauling saltstones, fixing gamefields, spport feeding if necessary, dredging dikes and swamps so we get small ponds. etc etc.

A few more loops around the circle and it will be closing time. We'll have another go-round on this subject, for sure. :)

Problems with hunting -

Wild animal hunters, or hunters with hand tools select the weakest of the pack.

"Brave" hunters with $10,000 rifles select the largest, strongest, not the weakest and old. Therefore it doesn't help the species or the DNA. Take deer hunting - deer hunters that see a 5 point or a 10 point buck will always take the 10 point. But deer hunting is a poor example of the impact, because there are ample deer, and yes hunting helps to keep them from starving, disease, car/deer accidents, etc. I have no issue with hunting deer - although it's not my past-time, I take no issue with it.

Hunting - particularly endangered species struggling for survival, and particularly intelligent animals that rely on the members of their herd (such as elephants, which we KNOW mourn the loss of their herd members) - is not of me and I have grave concerns for the psyche of any person that would enjoy this activity. It's in the same realm as dog fighting. It brings pain and misery to other creatures... How can any person take any pleasure in this?

I guess just because it may be "permitted" or "legal" doesn't pass the ethical test in my view. Lot's of legal and permitted things in human history are shockingly horrible when you look back on the behavior... doesn't take a historian to recall our embarrassing history of blunders in "legal" activities. I can think of lots of creatures who were killed and driving from their habitat/land - and some of them were 2-legged. Just because something is or once "socially acceptable" or legal is not the way to necessarily judge activity.

A few lists of animals humans have hunted into extinction or near extinction:
http://www.huntercourse.com/blog/2011/08/10-animals-hunted-or-nearly-hunted-to-extinction/

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-a...n-2013-1#tasmanian-tiger-extinct-since-1936-1

I go back to asking that if this was truly about rich people wanting to save a species, they'd just donate the permit fee to the conservation effort and not kill one. Seems much more satisfying to pay to keep them alive - just go get your picture taken with the ones you saved.

As for hunting being the solution - I find it particularly ironic and sad that hunting (and taking their habitat) is what largely got us in this bind and yet that is the most creative solution offered by hunters to fix the problem. Who said it - "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Last edited:
Problems with hunting -

Wild animal hunters, or hunters with hand tools select the weakest of the pack.

"Brave" hunters with $10,000 rifles select the largest, strongest, not the weakest and old. Therefore it doesn't help the species or the DNA. Take deer hunting - deer hunters that see a 5 point or a 10 point buck will always take the 10 point. But deer hunting is a poor example of the impact, because there are ample deer, and yes hunting helps to keep them from starving, disease, car/deer accidents, etc. I have no issue with hunting deer - although it's not my past-time, I take no issue with it.

Hunting - particularly endangered species struggling for survival, and particularly intelligent animals that rely on the members of their herd (such as elephants, which we KNOW mourn the loss of their herd members) - is not of me and I have grave concerns for the psyche of any person that would enjoy this activity. It's in the same realm as dog fighting. It brings pain and misery to other creatures... How can any person take any pleasure in this?

I guess just because it may be "permitted" or "legal" doesn't pass the ethical test in my view. Lot's of legal and permitted things in human history are shockingly horrible when you look back on the behavior... doesn't take a historian to recall our embarrassing history of blunders in "legal" activities. I can think of lots of creatures who were killed and driving from their habitat/land - and some of them were 2-legged. Just because something is or once "socially acceptable" or legal is not the way to necessarily judge activity.

A few lists of animals humans have hunted into extinction or near extinction:
http://www.huntercourse.com/blog/2011/08/10-animals-hunted-or-nearly-hunted-to-extinction/

http://www.businessinsider.com/10-a...n-2013-1#tasmanian-tiger-extinct-since-1936-1

I go back to asking that if this was truly about rich people wanting to save a species, they'd just donate the permit fee to the conservation effort and not kill one. Seems much more satisfying to pay to keep them alive - just go get your picture taken with the ones you saved.

As for hunting being the solution - I find it particularly ironic and sad that hunting (and taking their habitat) is what largely got us in this bind and yet that is the most creative solution offered by hunters to fix the problem. Who said it - "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Those species were brought to extinction or lack of regulation.

Just because a deer has more points does not make it the strongest of the pack. Even if hunters do at times, what does it matter? They usually ensure those genes have passed another generation, and like a mafia or drug cartel, another will rise to the occasion. Many hunters actually do cull hunting to pick off the weak. You should maybe understand the subject youre talking about.

How much pain and misery does a farmer enjoy when their crops are ruined by elephants. Sorry man, were are the top of the food chain, we will always preserve our species over others. Well not if PETA or Greenpeace has its way.

How much pain and misery does a farmer enjoy when their crops are ruined by elephants. Sorry man, were are the top of the food chain, we will always preserve our species over others. Well not if PETA or Greenpeace has its way.
Are all elephants etc, shot because they are destroying crops. I can understand the conservation argument, something that could be done by park rangers. It still leaves me wondering why some would pay thousands to travel to Africa to kill large game, if their only motive was conservation, they could donate the money to the game reserves. Why not cut out all the excuses and trying to justify the hunting, and just tell it as it is they like hunting and killing large game for trophies, or whatever reasons not conservation. They would also use the most humane way possible to kill the game, not bows and arrows as some seem to use.

"Brave" hunters with $10,000 rifles select the largest, strongest, not the weakest and old.
In the case of the species this thread is concerned about, that is not the situation at all. They may select the largest from amongst those in the area that they are hunting that meet the criteria on the permit and fall within the guidelines set by the professional hunter who is directed by the game department, but they most certainly do not have carte blanche to simply go out and kill any animal they choose.
It's in the same realm as dog fighting.
It is not remotely similar. Dog fighting is putting animals in a situation where they would not normally be (confined with another animal) and making them go through something they wouldn't have to otherwise if they chose not to. The animals who are being hunted will all die of something even if there are no hunters--and in all likelihood the death will not be as humane as one dealt by a hunter supervised by a professional guide.
I guess just because it may be "permitted" or "legal" doesn't pass the ethical test in my view.
That is a poor characterization of the reality of the situation. The idea that there's nothing other than a permit or a law allowing hunting that makes the difference between what we're talking about here and indiscriminate killing for meat or ivory is not grounded in reality.

There are many regulations and laws that insure that the hunting takes place in an ethical manner, that suffering is minimized or eliminated, that the animals taken are taken in such a way as to benefit the herd and the environment and that the animal is not wasted.
I find it particularly ironic and sad that hunting (and taking their habitat) is what largely got us in this bind and yet that is the most creative solution offered by hunters to fix the problem. Who said it - "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
Based on your articulate responses and the ample evidence that you are more than capable of reading, comprehending and verifying what has been posted on this thread, there's really no other option than to point out that you are being intentionally obtuse, disingenuous, or both.

The difference between the type of "hunting" that led to extinctions and endangered species and the type of hunting that is being advocated here is the difference between night and day. One need only read the accounts of men who hunted in Africa in times long past and single-handedly killed hundreds of elephants with no other concern than the weight of their ivory to understand how different the situation with controlled legal sport hunting is.

To even imply that the type of hunting being discussed now and the type of hunting that caused the problems we all decry are "doing the same thing" is ludicrous. And since you have had this fact pointed out to you multiple times on this thread and on other occasions, (namely this thread on THR) your continued pretense that the two are the same is not only ludicrous, but also ridiculous.
Are all elephants etc, shot because they are destroying crops.
No, however that is one consideration that is taken into account when the game department provides direction to the professional hunter regarding which animals are to be taken. Depredating animals or specific animals who have demonstrated that they are dangerous/aggressive are taken preferentially as are animals which have shown a propensity for frequenting areas that are likely to be problematic in terms of their interaction with humans.
I can understand the conservation argument, something that could be done by park rangers.
Where's the logic in paying someone to do something if there are people who will pay for the privilege of doing it for you?
Why not cut out all the excuses and trying to justify the hunting, and just tell it as it is they like hunting and killing large game for trophies, or whatever reasons not conservation.
This is a false dichotomy. The idea that a person can't like hunting for trophies AND still wish to support conservation is false.

But even if they ONLY want to hunt and care nothing about conservation, it makes no difference in terms of the benefits provided. The money they spend to accomplish their hunt is no less beneficial to the conservation effort that legal, controlled, sport hunting provides. That's part of the beauty of the system. Anyone who participates legally provides a benefit even if that's not their intent.

"Hunting - particularly endangered species struggling for survival..."

Hard to beat that idea for absolute silliness. Anybody who does that is a poacher, not a hunter.

Threads are better served when we stick to reality and facts.

The idea that animal predators select the weakest for their victims is simply not true on a regular basis. Here in Co. a large number of our trophy mule deer are taken each winter by mountain lions. I have also seen mature 3+ year old elk taken by lions. It is just a matter of which animal the predator can get close to. The mule deer bucks are more vulnerable in winter due to being alone.(less eyes & ears)
The big attraction to wild predators for the bunny huggers is just to try to eliminate human hunting. The reintroduction of wolves in the America has not restored any type of balance. What it has done is destroy large populations of game animals that used to be properly managed by hunting.
The bunny huggers should be forced to watch a few hours of canine & feline predators killing big game animals. It doesn't happen like they think from watching the Disney channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back