Soldier from Texas imprisoned in Mexico for weapons charges

Google the BRIDGE OF THE AMERICAS and tell me how you could turn around!
I do not have to google it, I have been on it. And several others here have also. There are PLENTY of places to turn around and their are places specifically for turning around with tons of signs right up until you are crossing the raised part of the bridge itself.
What bothers me is that too many have decided that a soldier, on leave from duty, driving on a highway near a border cannot possibly have any legitimate reason for crossing the border.
There are lots of legitimate reasons. However, the one he gave is not one of them. Especially with a firearm in the trunk of his car.

Can he even take that firearm into CA with him anyway?

There are lots of legitimate reasons. However, the one he gave is not one of them.

I dunno... I get a strong craving for chorizo from time to time. When you add tortillas that were made 5min ago to the mix (instead of crappy bulk-pak factory tortillas), that could draw any food nerd across the border.:)

Um. It is safer and better tasting to just purchase the same food you mention on the EP side of the border.
Just because it is the US does not mean everything eaten here is packaged meals.

On that note, if you are in EP and want good food.
Drive up the mountain on Alabama, Trun east on Fort St. There will be a tiny place called "Delicious" in a strip center. There may be no parking available nearby. It is a hole-in-the-wall.
It is fast becomeing known to EP'ans and stays busy and packed.

Car full of weapons lands US soldier in Mexican jail

Car full of weapons lands US soldier in Mexican jail
By ALICIA A. CALDWELL, Associated Press Writer

When he crossed the U.S.-Mexico border, Spc. Richard Torres was carrying a small arsenal in his car: an AR-15 assault rifle, a .45-caliber handgun, 171 rounds of ammunition, several cartridges and three knives.

At a checkpoint, Torres didn't try to hide the weapons. But he insisted he hadn't meant to cross the border with the guns, which in Mexico are restricted for use only by the military. While searching for parking in El Paso, he said, he inadvertently drove onto a bridge leading to Mexico and could not turn around.

Now the Iraq veteran is in a Mexican jail while a judge decides whether to believe his account: that an experienced soldier accidentally ended up in a border town where drug cartels pay top dollar for exactly the kind of high-powered weapons he happened to have.

"I want to go home. I just want to go," Torres said last week at the jail in Ciudad Juarez.

Prosecutors have said only that the arrest reflected the government's commitment to battling "every type of delinquency and organized crime."

Torres, 25, said he had been driving all night to get from Fort Hood, in central Texas, to Fresno, Calif., where his mother lives. He planned to celebrate her birthday and put the weapons in storage while he deployed to Honduras to join the war on drugs. The guns were Torres' personal property and not required for his military duties.

He arrived in El Paso just after sunrise, he said, and decided to park, walk into Ciudad Juarez for breakfast, then get back on the road.

But during his search for a parking space, a gas station attendant seemed to direct him toward the bridge, Torres said. He crossed the Rio Grande and became concerned when he drove past signs warning him he was about to leave the U.S.

"Entering Mexico 1/2 mile," one green placard reads.

"WARNING," a larger sign reads, "ILLEGAL TO CARRY FIREARMS/AMMUNITION INTO MEXICO. PENALTY — PRISON."

By then, he said, he had passed the only U-turn areas on the bridge, and it was too late to turn around because Torres had driven into vehicle-inspection lanes enclosed by concrete barriers.

He sought help from a Mexican border guard, who told him he could turn around further into Mexico. But 15 feet later, Mexican federal police stopped his car at a checkpoint. Torres, who does not speak Spanish, said he showed them the guns and his Army ID.

He was arrested and initially charged with smuggling illegal weapons, as well as possession of restricted guns and cartridges. He said he now faces only the gun-possession charge.

Court documents in Mexico are not public, and the U.S. consulate is not authorized to discuss his case. When American citizens are accusing of breaking a law in another country, the State Department generally does not intervene except to ensure the foreign government follows its own laws.

Investigators with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives concluded that Torres was not smuggling weapons into Mexico to sell them. ATF spokesman Tom Crowley said the agency reported its findings to Mexican authorities.

A lawyer has been appointed to Torres, but his case is mostly being handled behind closed doors. His Army assignment in Honduras is on hold.

At the jail, Torres said he sleeps on a thin mat on the floor of his cell, which has a bathroom and shower, that he shares with four other men.

He said he has managed to win over his cellmates, who have assured him of protection in the violence-plagued jail. They have also offered him food from their visitors, he said. One man loaned him a clean shirt.

"It's not as bad as the movies make it out to be," Torres said.

The jail operates on a cash system, and Torres relies on the U.S. consulate to bring him money from his wallet for phone calls or extra food. But that money is rapidly running out.

Maj. Steven Lamb, a 1st Cavalry Division spokesman, said Torres's absence from the military is not considered to be his fault — but his future remains murky.

"There are just entirely too many variables," Lamb said.

Gloria Medina, who raised Torres as a single mother, said he wasn't a good student so she let him finish high school through a home-study program. He then stocked shelves at Wal-Mart and worked in construction before joining the Army two years later.

He's "grown into a fine young man," Medina said.

When he is released, Torres hopes to finish the final four years of his Army contract, then go into the tile business with a buddy and take care of his mother.

"She's been there for everything," Torres said.

Link to story

Sorry for the guy but he is kind of screwed. You can get jail time in Mexico for one round of ammo in your car. In 96 a DPS officer got sentenced to 6 years for having one box of ammo in his car he had forgotten about. He got out in 6 months only because he was a DPS officer and his family came up with $32,000 to pay a fine. I know some of the border crossing are easy to get caught in and not be able to turn around but if it happens put the guns and ammo in a sack and stop and throw them in the river, but whatever you do don't go to Mexico with a gun.

It strikes me that this rises to the level of entrapment.

Although I suppose that stopping your car in the middle of traffic and waiting there until the border personnel send a tow truck to pull you out or a forklift to move the concrete barrier out of your way so that you can refrain from crossing would be less of a hassle than a Mexican prison.

Why the F would ANY AMERICAN want to go to Mexico?

I would have drove in reverse before getting to that border station if I knew there was a turn-around. F-it if you're not in their country, they can't arrest you. Take the ticket for driving the wrong way before prison for guns!

They have sunny beaches in Mexico, though you do have to wave off peddlers more often than one would prefer.

Maybe this victim of the Mexican authorities thought they'd be reasonable once he explained his honest mistake, and pointed out the inability to turn around, and showed his military ID. Most people want to believe that other people will be reasonable.

Like the pastor in Chinese jail for a box of ammo. Bogus reporting as usual too. "Car full of weapons" - one rifle, one pistol, and under 200 rounds is a slow day out back when I'm up in WI. Poor guy. I agree that we should show our neighbors the same hospitality they show us. Where are all the NPOs on this one?

Mexico is worth visiting for trouble with the guys, or if you're on a closed-campus resort. Friendlier, cleaner and safer places to go for sun and sand are readily available.

Why do so many people in this thread seem to be claiming that the guy "didn't realize" he was entering Mexico, and are mocking him on that basis?

That's flatly contradicted by the news articles - he KNEW he was entering Mexico, but apparently missed the last U-turn spot and was stopped when he was making an effort to turn around.

Here's the Google Map of what appears to be the last U-turn spot, nearly a quarter mile before the geographical border: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...47,-106.451187&spn=0.001482,0.002213&t=h&z=19

What's the speed limit along that part of I-110 as you're approaching that rectangular part in the middle there that you drive under? How many lanes would you have to cross to get to that U-turn if you were traveling in the rightmost through lane - looks like two? Where are the signs located?

I've taken a wrong turn in Oakland, California and wound up heading at 60mph towards San Francisco when I didn't mean to, so I can certainly understand where this soldier is coming from.

Can he even take that firearm into CA with him anyway?

No, it is not legal to have the AR15 he had with him in California unless it be made compliant with a 10 round non-removable magazine and other features. His did not have the limitations and have seen people thrown in to jail for a year for possessing a non-compliant, non registered AR-15.

Like the pastor in Chinese jail for a box of ammo

Well it was actually Russia and he knowingly snuck ammo in his bag into a country, smuggling them in, breaking various airplane laws in the US and Russia and would have been thrown in prison for just as long if he did the same thing. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, nor is being a pastor excuse to saying the law doesn't apply to me.

I accidentally drove into Juarez, Mexico in the mid 90's. I knew I was crossing into Juarez from El-Paso. I didn't want to. I also had planned to stop on the American side and walk into Mexico. I was in rush hour traffic and could not get turned around until I was in Mexico. I whipped a U-turn as soon as I could - Guess what - I got my car searched. No **** - if you even have a single bullet in your vehicle - you are not going back to America. He should have just kept driving into the city and turned around when it wasn't obvious he wanted out.

Yeah, I'm a little scattered lately which is why my news recall is poor and my timing on this thread is a slow. While ignorance of the law is no excuse, intent is a mitigating factor. Mens rea does not come to mind here - quite the contrary, somebody that knows weapons should know the equipment the soldier brought is completely unsatisfactory if one is expecting trouble. Although intent is probably not a necessary element of conviction in these cases, I'd hope their courts have some latitude in sentencing. For example, a pastor bringing ammo for a friend is probably not a smuggler as the lawmakers intended it, and he would have been more appropriately charged with illegal possession. Maybe it's lost in translation, I think "Lord of War" when I hear smuggler. Similar situation in Mexico. It's good that they dropped the smuggling charges, but simply deporting him would seem sufficient in terms of punishment. While the media can spin themselves dizzy with misinformation, the reality is a mistake seems very possible under these circumstances. I can only imagine the oped circus that would ensue if we started imposing this kind of criminal liability on visitors to our country.

and he knowingly snuck ammo in his bag into a country, smuggling them in, breaking various airplane laws in the US and Russia

limeyfellow he did not break various airplane laws by carrying the bulelts. its not against the law to carry ammo on international flights. his mistake was to not check the russian laws on doing so

Back