Soldier from Texas imprisoned in Mexico for weapons charges

limeyfellow he did not break various airplane laws by carrying the bulelts. its not against the law to carry ammo on international flights. his mistake was to not check the russian laws on doing so
Are you sure?

At our local airport (PDX) there is a big display case and sign that says "ALL THESE ITEMS ARE ILLEGAL TO TAKE BEYOND SECURITY CHECK POINTS!"

In the case are boxes of handgun and rifle ammo.

Do you know every law in your city... your state... your country? then you are ignorant of the law and yes, it is sometimes an excuse.

How about when you've just driven past a big sign telling you the law?

Ignorantia juris non excusat .....

One of the foundations of our system of laws.

But hey, its all about the sacred gunnykins to some folks LOL

WildillegitiminoncarborundumAlaska TM

Normally, I'd side with those who claim "well no one knows all the laws, you break them every day" After all, I did spit on the sidewalk last week and I don't recall carrying a longarm through Boston Common last time I was there (as is required by law), but in this case, WA is right. When it comes to gun laws, especially international gun laws, you better know them. If you don't know, ask. If you break them and get busted, it's your own fault, because guns are serious business for a lot of people, gun owners and non gun owners alike. If there are multiple large brightly colored signs in multiple languages and pictograms driving home the point of "no guns past this point" well... sorry dude. You messed up.

Having a concealed pistol in the truck has saved me from Montezuma's revenge on more than one occasion. That's the only excuse I have for not crossing the border for some cabrito more often.

How about when you've just driven past a big sign telling you the law?
If the big sign is past the point where you can turn around to avoid breaking said law, then what good does it do you?

trafficspikes-speedbump.jpg

SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE
500 FEET BEHIND

I wasn't the one asserting ignorance as no excuse, I was responding to someone who suggested we should take a strict view of the law in view of that maxim.

However, I was noting 1) ignorance can be an excuse where intent to violate the law is a necessary element of the crime (although an intent element more often means knows they were performing the act, whether or not they know it is illegal); and 2) that even if it's not an excuse, few legal systems are 100% black-and-white, and considering the general standards of reasonableness, accident (or even incompetence) can be seen as a mitigating factor if not a defense.

It's unfortunate that a lot of these laws are written as imperfect ways to crack down on a particularly unsavory section of society, and then end up being used against people the law's drafters never envisioned. Take Chicago, where they videotape the gangbangers who actually kill people firing their illegal weapons during celebrations but do not intervene for fear of a firefight, but then confiscate harmless citizens' guns because they failed to maintain their FOID or reside in an area which bans the weapons altogether.

Back