Smith and Wesson serial number search

Why is it suggested that we put Xs at the end of the serial number listings for their weapons? Because it's not necessary for determination of the gun's history or is it a privacy thing?
Privacy.

I recently took posession of a nickel-plated S&W .38 2nd Model, as shown below. Seems to be in fairly good condition, operates properly on all five, etc.

Anyone know what years this model was produced? I read somewhere it started in 1877, but I'm not sure.

Also, according to the S&W site, their revolvers have the serial numbers stamped into the bottom of the frame between the grips. Most serials seem to be alphanumeric and rather lengthy, but this one only has three numbers. Is that the way they did it back then and this particular one was just early in the production run?

S&W originally used just numbers up to WWII and began using single letters both as prefixes and floating before ending up with the three letter followed by numbers in 1980. In the earlier years they also used the same serial numbers on different models of guns.

The 38 Single Action 2nd models started in 1877 at serial number 1 and ran to 1891 at serial number 109255. Your 3 digit serial number would likely be 1st or 2nd year production.

Jim

Model 586

A retired police gun, a Model 586 with 'M' stamp, followed me home today. Had a little holster wear, but looks great otherwise. It has a 4" barrel and red insert front sight. Grips are S&W wood. Serial number ADD1xxx. Can someone please give me a born date? Also, is this a Distinguished Combat model? Thanks!!!

Model 66-1 vintage

Just picked up a used Model 66-1, serial number 55K5XXX.

Anybody know when this one was made?

Thanks,
Josh

Plz Help ID .44 special, early 20th Century large frame

Greetings all!

Just picked up a number of firearms from my father-in-law who passed away last month (RIP Bob). I wasn't aware he had more than 1 or 2 weapons in the house, or I'd have kicked his Navy butt well before now for keeping unlocked and loaded weapons in the house when his grandchildren visited:rolleyes: ....Thankfully my kids are well trained on how to react when they see a gun.

One particular piece I can't identify is a .44 caliber S&W Special CTG. It has a 6 1/4" inch barrell, and no model number inside the frame. There is a solitary "L" stamped inside the frame, and the serial number on the butt is early #244xx. I've attached a few photos I just took. It has patent date info stamped on the barrel top, Dec 17, 1901 to Sept 14th, 1009.

Thought I went online, I couldn't find an exact match for the model (thought it was a predecessor to the Model 21, but it has an un-shrouded hand ejector), but nothing matched perfectly. I bought the 2,000 page gun pricing book on Amazon, but it won't be here for another week. Having noticed the expertise and speed at which members here responded with accurate information, I thought I'd sign up and pose my own question.

Thanks in advance & Semper Fi!

Last edited by a moderator:
headshok: 1980.

kreiderm: The highest serial number range recorded in the Standard Catalog of S&W in VHNxxxx in 1999. The 4566 was manufactured from 1991 to 1999. So your gun was made in 1998 or 1999.

crazycobramantin: You have a .44 Hand Ejector 2nd Model. Manufactured between 1915 & 1940, serial number range was 15376 to around 59xxx with 17510 manufactured. 6.5 inches was the standard barrel length, originally with checkered diamond target grips, from 1936 with Magna type grips. Yours appear to be Magnas, but I've never seen on with a thumb rest on it like yours. So if the grips are original to the gun, 1036 to 1940 is your date range.
The Standard Catalog of S&W gave the following values in 2006: ANIB: $2500, Excellent+ $1250, Exc. $800, VG $575, Good $450, Fair $325, Poor $200. Yours appears to be in excellent to excellent plus.

Thanks !

Radagast - thank you for the detailed information and the quick reply.

I would have to assume these grips are original, as my father-in-law appears to have kept everything original, with all the paperwork. He has an old western belt and holster that went with this piece, I should find out if that is original too.

S&W model 19-3

I just inherited a S&W model 19-3 from my grandpa and I was wondering if anyone could tell me when it was manufactured based on the SN?

Back