Smith and Wesson serial number search

tyusclan: 1948? Very cool. I was looking for something that would be good for NRA Distinguished revolver. but I didn't expect to find something that old in such good condition for what I paid. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

thanks much.

If it's that nice a revolver it would probably be worth the $35 to request a letter from Roy Jinks. His letter will document a lot of information for your gun, including giving you the exact date of shipment and who it was originally shipped to.

You can go to S&W's website for the info and address to request the letter. I don't have it handy right now or I'd post it.

FlyFish,
Just got the serial number of the pics I just posted - AYR583x

Also edited my post above and included pic of other side. Sorry for the duplicate pic.
What do you think? thanks

DSC05602.jpg

Last edited:
tyusclan: I'll check into that. There was no box or papers, and the grips aren't original, so I don't think I'm looking at something highly collectible, but it'd be cool to know some history about it.

Thanks.

Hey Flyfish.

My K22 is a M17-4 made in 80, (78-Kxxxx) I think??? That's around the time I bought it.
So what revisions made it a -4?
And can this be classified as a combat masterpiece? Adjustable rear sights, fat trigger, and oversized grips.... The hammer is the transfer bar type.

Any info you can tell me is much appreciated.

Last edited:
rnr - S/N starting with 78K would be correct for 1980. There was one change with the -4: the gas ring (thickened area to protect the cylinder/ejector rod mechanism from gasses excaping the cylinder/barrel gap) was moved from the yoke to the cylinder. Model 17s were simply called the K-22 Masterpiece prior to numbering - the K-22 Combat Masterpiece, basically the same gun with a 4" barrel (only) and a ramped front sight, was designated the Model 18.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Fish :)
I'd always heard them called the combat masterpiece, so that's what I thought. Mine's a 6" and it's had lots of rounds put thru it, tho you wouldn't know it to look at it. She rides in a suede lined Safariland holster and shoots like a dream. Such a nice trigger!!!

Anyway, thanks.
You must like SW's to do this for everyone. I know I appreaciate the info. It does take a while to read thru so many pages tho.

Shadow53: Appears to be late 1982 - October was AAF prefix and December was ABL. Just curious - does it have a pinned barrel? It's either one of the last ones with, or one of the first ones without.

rnr: I have the book and a bit of spare time, so I'm happy to help out, even though my knowledge pales in comparison to several real S&W experts here. And, yes, I do confess to having a bit of a love affair with S&W revolvers. :D I have a 17 from 1971, and I agree they are sweet guns - definitely a "must have" for any S&W collection.

FlyFish: Thanks for the info. I am still really a novice, although I have heard the term "pinned barrel" not really sure what it is? :confused: What do I look for?

After some Googling for images, I figured out it is NOT pinned. It is a 3" square butt, they seem to be less common than the round butt.

The info is found in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. It's available at Amazon.com or most any bookstore.

Model 25-2, N378xxx
Model 57, N669xxx
Model 17-3, 5K102xx
Bekeart 458xxx

Model 25-2, N378xxx = 1975/76
Model 57, N669xxx = 1979/80
Model 17-3, 5K102xx = 1973
Bekeart 458xxx = Serial numbers ran from 160000 in 1911 to 536684 in 1941. SN 525600 was in 1935 so yours is prior to that.

Jim

Back