Smith and Wesson serial number search

A few more if I may... You folks are great to provide this info!

Mod 37 Ser #J2662xx
Mod 19-5 Ser #AFM49xx
Mod 28-2 Ser #N1824xx

What about other than S&W? Have a Colt Woodsman Ser #05717xx

Hi all

May I ask a couple about my new/old gun?

Probably a Victory model, with 4 inch barrel, SN: S982XXX.
Barrel is marked "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG", so, by my limited knowledge-
this should be early 1940's, and one of the guns that was reamed and rebarreled? Or am I totally out to lunch?

thank you

Richard

Probably a Victory model, with 4 inch barrel, SN: S982XXX.
Barrel is marked "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG", so, by my limited knowledge-
this should be early 1940's, and one of the guns that was reamed and rebarreled? Or am I totally out to lunch?
Victory models had a "V" prefix serial number. S982XXX is a post war version. Serial numbers ran from S811120 in 1945 to S999999 in 1948.

Jim

.38 S&W Special CTG. is a standard caliber. Also known as 38 special, it's been around since 1899 to present.
Some victory models were chambered in 38 S&W (not 38 special) to use a 200 grain bullet (38/200) for British service.

Jim

Here's what I got....

It came in an old cardboard box stating it was a S&W Military and Police .38, Square Butt, 5 inch Barrel.

There are 4 screws in the side plate and one in the trigger guard. Under the left grip is an "A" stamped in. Under the right grip is a "U", "H", "B" and what looks to be "26"

The bottom of the grip is sn 764847 and on the cylinder on the loading side is 764847 as well.

On the yoke is 2724 and it is the same on the frame where a model number would be.

Hope the pictures help. My father-in-law passed away and this was one of his guns. Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks!

4screw.jpg

5screw.jpg

buttsn.jpg

cylinder.jpg

leftside.jpg

frame.jpg

S&W 27-2 with 8 3/8" barrel; blue

I have the opportunity to buy this gun and was wondering if anyone can tell me the age and value range, desireability/collectible appeal and anything else interesting about it. It is in a hinged wooden box with a cleaning rod, tips and a screwdriver to adjust the sites. The serial number is N201xxx. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

snpr1,

.38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. SN 764847 puts is in the 1940 to 1945 range.

I have the opportunity to buy this gun and was wondering if anyone can tell me the age and value range, desireability/collectible appeal and anything else interesting about it. It is in a hinged wooden box with a cleaning rod, tips and a screwdriver to adjust the sites. The serial number is N201xxx. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

27-2's are very desirable to collectors, especially with the presentation case and tools. The original cardboard box and paperwork would be nice too.
N201XXX would be ~1974.
Like any other collectable condition determines value. Excellent condition with little to no blueing wear would run ~ $750. More in "new in box" condition or in California.

Jim

Thanks for the time, trouble, & service you guys do for us.:)

What's the year of birth of my new Model 36 flat latch Ser.#1451xx

I'd much rather have her than a new one!

Posting Serial Numbers

Why is it suggested that we put Xs at the end of the serial number listings for their weapons? Because it's not necessary for determination of the gun's history or is it a privacy thing? Just curious.

Last edited:
S&W .38 2nd Model

I recently took posession of a nickel-plated S&W .38 2nd Model, as shown below. Seems to be in fairly good condition, operates properly on all five, etc.

Anyone know what years this model was produced? I read somewhere it started in 1877, but I'm not sure.

Also, according to the S&W site, their revolvers have the serial numbers stamped into the bottom of the frame between the grips. Most serials seem to be alphanumeric and rather lengthy, but this one only has three numbers. Is that the way they did it back then and this particular one was just early in the production run?

SW-38.jpg

Back