Smith and Wesson serial number search

@ laytonj1

@ Jimbo-Indy

Thanks guys that was quick. Any idea what the value of these are? Not that I'm thinking of selling I'm just curious. I have used this pistol since about 1977 when I was 10 and it has the best balance and feel of any handgun I have held.

Any idea what the value of these are? Not that I'm thinking of selling I'm just curious. I have used this pistol since about 1977 when I was 10 and it has the best balance and feel of any handgun I have held.
From ~ $450 well used to $800+ NIB for the pre model marked (pre 1958) K22's.

Jim

I've only got a couple Smiths (two new ones) but I have my grandfathers .32 S&W long SN 512XX. I've always been curious as to when it was made. Any help would be appreciated.

I've only got a couple Smiths (two new ones) but I have my grandfathers .32 S&W long SN 512XX. I've always been curious as to when it was made. Any help would be appreciated.
Assuming there is no "K" prefix with that serial number from the bottom of the frames grip butt, it would be a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903, 2nd Change. Serial numbers ran from 51127 in 1906 to 95500 in 1909.

Jim

Last edited:
S&W 60 (no dash) Year manufactured?

Hi Jim,

Need your help as to when this was made:
Smith & Wesson Model 60 (no dash)
Stainless Steel
5 shot
1-7/8" Barrel
38 S & W SPL.
Wooded grips with SW silver inserts
SN: R1364xx

Also; any chance of running + P's thru this for carry only?

Can anyone help me date my dad's S&W? It has a five inch barrel, double action, four digit serial number located on the metal front of the grip. Serial number is 57XX. He bought it from an old man 30 years ago. Any help appreciated.

Can anyone help me date my dad's S&W? It has a five inch barrel, double action, four digit serial number located on the metal front of the grip. Serial number is 57XX. He bought it from an old man 30 years ago. Any help appreciated.
Take the serial number from the bottom of the frames grip butt. Include any letter prefixs. I also need to know the caliber.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks for responding. It is a .38 caliber, but that is the only number we can find anywhere. There are no letters. It does have 'Smith & Wesson' and then several patent dates engraved into the barrel and a seal on the side that says 'trademark'.

It is a .38 caliber, but that is the only number we can find anywhere. There are no letters. It does have 'Smith & Wesson' and then several patent dates engraved into the barrel and a seal on the side that says 'trademark'.
Assuming a it's a modern swing out cylinder design, serial number 57XX would make it a .38 Military & Police 1st Model. Serial numbers ran from 1 in 1899 to 20975 in 1902. Calibers were .38 S&W Special or .38 Long Colt (Army and Navy models).

Jim

Any help on a 357 Magnum, S1569xx? There is NO model number on the box or revolver....it's just listed as "357 Magnum". Thanks~~

Jim,
Thanks so much for the information! It certainly seems to fit with what Dad thought and the appearance. It may be old, but it's still sweet. It feels really good in your hand and still fires like a dream.
Erika

Can anyone help.
I have just received a S&W .38. Chrome and pearl handle.
Serial number 201230.
Looking for age and maybe a value. A family friend want to purchase it.
I am a complete novice.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
A Just Cause: Serial number prefix AHA was used in January 1985, prefix AHS was used in July 1985, assuming your gun was not marked out of sequence (this did occur at times, for example AHC1687 was used in January 1986) then early 1985 seems correct.

Brawndo: The serial number should be stamped on the bottom of the grip frame. This may be covered by the grips. If the number is stamped on the crane then it is probably an assembly number for keeping track of fitted parts as they move across the factory.

Assuming that it is the serial number, then your gun dates to 1959, when the serial number range was 52673 to 62316.

Back