Smith and Wesson serial number search

Looking for an approximate date on my Smith 457 .45 Serial number VZE7xxx
The SCSW only covers the autos up to 1998. You can call S&W customer service and they'll give you the DOB over the phone for free.

By Email: qa@smith-wesson.com

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

Is it possible to buy a new barrel for a 39-2 semi auto, in 9mm, at a fair price?
Yes. The 39's barrel is interchangable with other models. Look here:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=1980z39&MC=
EDIT: looks like they're currently sold out. Try asking on the S&W forums (semi auto section):http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

hello,
just got a 36 with 431XXX.
should trigger and hammer pulls be heavy on this gun?
~1965. Depends on your definition of heavy. My 36's trigger pull was lighter than my SP101 but heavier than my larger framed Smiths.
It's meant to be a personal defense gun, not a target gun. That said, maybe it just needs a good cleaning inside.

Jim

Last edited:
thanks jim i figured mid sixties, now i know fer sure. you know i threw some snap caps in and pulled away, i think its ok, just not like the revolvers i have shot in the past (python) and sa ruger.

Smith & Wesson Serial Numbers

OK I bought The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and my serial numbers are not listed. Do I assume there between ones that are listed?

SW Model 10 ACC8XXX and SW Model 36 CJY0XXX

OK I bought The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson and my serial numbers are not listed. Do I assume there between ones that are listed?

SW Model 10 ACC8XXX and SW Model 36 CJY0XXX
Yes and maybe. ACC would fall between ABL4000 in Jan 83 and ADE6700 in Oct 83.
CJY is a tougher one. It looks like it would fall between CHM and CSR in Jul 04.
The problem with the 3 letter prefix SN's is S&W jumbled them around and used a bunch of them out of sequence for special runs and certain models. You can find examples throughout the listings and especially if you look at the SN's after CTA in Oct 2004.
Sometimes it's still easier to just call S&W and ask them.

Jim

What's the age?

Jim,

I just purchased a S&W model 36 no dash with a serial number of: 8J96xx. This gun has a 3" barrel no diamond on the grips, fixed sights. Any info would be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Regarding the last few posts, it's really easy to identify J frame serial numbers in the 1971/72 timeframe because the "J" drifted from the 2nd to the 4th character in the serial number. It moved back to the front in 1973. Enthusiasts on the S&W forum refer to 71/72 as the "wandering J" years.

FWIW the S&W forum has featured threads examining the evolution of the "lazy ampersand" on pre-1970s S&W barrel rollmarks, and a more recent thread debating the possible meaning of the strange symbol between the words ".357 MAGNUM" and "HIGHWAY PATROLMAN" on the barrel of a Model 28. :rolleyes:

I'll have to take a look at that S&W forum. I have a Highway Patrolman, but it has 357 CTG then the symbol then Highway Patrolman. Whats up with that?

S&W info

I would appreciate any info possible on my S&W mod. 629, 6" bbl. Number on the base of the grip frame is AJL66xx. Another number on the grip is 13321 (no prefix).

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Back