Smith and Wesson serial number search

Need some help on date and est value

Just aquired a S&W, model 64, serial # AUA8594. Can anyone help me determine its date of birth and approximate value. Good conditon - some scratches on finish. Thank you.

S&w 629-2

One of my favorite pistols is a S&W model 629-2 44mag, serial # BBF 4xxx It is stainless with a 6" bbl and non-fluted cylinder. I've had it for about 5 years and the guy I bought it from had no idea of the mftr. date. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

have A S-w 640-1 With S # Ccu6xxx, Anyone Give Me A Rough Estimate Of Manufacture Date?
1997/98.

just Aquired A S&w, Model 64, Serial # Aua8594. Can Anyone Help Me Determine Its Date Of Birth And Approximate Value.
1986/87. ~$350.

one Of My Favorite Pistols Is A S&w Model 629-2 44mag, Serial # Bbf 4xxx It Is Stainless With A 6" Bbl And Non-fluted Cylinder. I've Had It For About 5 Years And The Guy I Bought It From Had No Idea Of The Mftr. Date.

Need help identifying and valueing revolver

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and need some help. I am looking to purchase a .38 from a private party and in so doing I need to know the model and approximate value. Any help would be appreciated!

The revolver is stainless with black grips, the overall length is approximately 6 1/4"

Markings include

Left side of barrel:
Smith & Wesson
.38 S & W SPL.+P

Right side of frame:
Airweight
SPFLD, MA
S&W U.S.A

Buttplate: (I assume this is the serial number?)
CHZ6473

Thanks in advance!

New to the forum and need some help. I am looking to purchase a .38 from a private party and in so doing I need to know the model and approximate value. Any help would be appreciated!
The revolver is stainless with black grips, the overall length is approximately 6 1/4"
Markings include
Left side of barrel:
Smith & Wesson
.38 S & W SPL.+P
Right side of frame:
Airweight
SPFLD, MA
S&W U.S.A
Buttplate: (I assume this is the serial number?)
CHZ6473
Serial number puts it in 2004. Your description leaves 3 possibles I know of, Models 637, 638, or 642. All sale for about $600 new and about $450 used.

Jim

New old gun

I just bought a S&W 357 model 586 Nickel plated as it has a letter N stamped in the cylinder. ( And the SS was called 686) Could you help me with the year for this gun? The serial is ADN29XX.( no dash) The Cylinder also has a set of numbers 311xx and the C5 stamped on it. Any ideas about this mark?
I appreciate any assistance. Many thanks in advance.

I just bought a S&W 357 model 586 Nickel plated as it has a letter N stamped in the cylinder. ( And the SS was called 686) Could you help me with the year for this gun? The serial is ADN29XX.( no dash) The Cylinder also has a set of numbers 311xx and the C5 stamped on it. Any ideas about this mark?
1983. I think the letter N on the cylinder is for Nickel. The other numbers are factory assembly numbers.

Jim

Dazed and Confused (situation Normal)

I purchased this S&W several years ago. I used to carry it in my business. I'd like to know the model and any other info on the weapon. It's a short barrel. stainless steel, small frame with S&W .357 MAGNUM on the right side of barrel and SMITH & WESSON on the left side. Serial number is AER 81**. Is it a J frame? Barrel length is about 2" :confused:

Last edited:
I'd like to know the model and any other info on the weapon. It's a short barrel. stainless steel, small frame with S&W .357 MAGNUM on the right side of barrel and SMITH & WESSON on the left side. Serial number is AER 81**. Is it a J frame? Barrel length is about 2"
The SN dates it to 1984. Since S&W didn't make J frame 357's in 1984 yours must be a K frame. The model number is stamped on the frame forward of the cylinder. You have to open the cylinder to see it.

Jim

The one in this pic is a 629-1.
mod-1.jpg

Can anyone identify the year of manufacture or sale of a Smith and Wesson model 60. The number on the butt is R710XX. Its a 38 Spl chiefs in ss. The revolver is a five shot and looks in excellent condition. My friend is asking $300 and wonder if that is reasonable thanks

The number on the butt is R710XX. Its a 38 Spl chiefs in ss. The revolver is a five shot and looks in excellent condition. My friend is asking $300 and wonder if that is reasonable thanks
~1971/72. Unless it's beat up, whoever gets it for $300 is getting a bargain.

Jim

I'm looking at purchasing a model 10-8 serial # 5D-49xxx. Hoping to find the dob. Also, does $375 sound like a fair price for this revolver?

Last edited:
I'm looking at purchasing a model 10-8 serial # 5D-49xxx. Hoping to find the dob. Also, does $375 sound like a fair price for this revolver?
1979. Depends on condition, no to very little wear I would say it's sounds fair.

Jim

Back