Smith and Wesson serial number search

Just got a Model 66-1, serial number 55K6xxx. I'd appreciate it very much if you could tell me an approximate timeframe for when it was made. Thank you!

more help please

Jim, first thanx for the 1975/76. My next question is, I have not shot the weapon for a long time,but last time i shot it, it was fine. Now i'm having a problem. It jammes. I've only shot 44spec. out of it ,i used the best ammo possible, and still it jammes. Yes i clean my weapon after i get back from the range. I have not tried 44mags yet but don't see why that should make a differ. I've been told that the revolver it'self is doing it, something about a pin wore down? The weapon in Question is the S&W 44mag (dirty harry) 8 3/8 barrel, revolver.:confused:

Just got a Model 66-1, serial number 55K6xxx. I'd appreciate it very much if you could tell me an approximate timeframe for when it was made.

Hey guys, appreciate a lookup for me:
m17 SN 33K8xxx = 1978/79
m66 SN BDD2xxx = 1989

I have not shot the weapon for a long time,but last time i shot it, it was fine. Now i'm having a problem. It jammes. I've only shot 44spec. out of it ,i used the best ammo possible, and still it jammes. Yes i clean my weapon after i get back from the range. I have not tried 44mags yet but don't see why that should make a differ. I've been told that the revolver it'self is doing it, something about a pin wore down?
By jams do you mean the cylinder binds/drags when you try to cock it after firing or you can't get the cylinder to release/open afterwards?

Jim

[/Hmmm, the SN puts it at 1974/75 but, the SCSW shows the -2's didn't start till 1977.
QUOTE]

The gun was purchased from an old Smith employee that was somesort of Rep./ Training person for LE. maybe it was a trial to see if there was a market for a 6shot snubby.

Thanks so much for the info.

my tyrn now?

Let's see if I can do this right first time.
Model is a blue 10-7. 4 inch thin barrel. SN 4D49700.
The finish is horrible and there are many dings, but the mechanics are as good as they can be. Rock solid lock up, excellent accuracy and shoots to POA with factory equivalent 158gr TC slugs.

Last edited:
1961 and -1's are scarce and worth a premium.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I think I'll buy her tomorrow. Condition is very, very good. The checkering on the hammer spur is still very crisp and sharp. Grips appear original. Checkering on top of revolver is also in very good shape. Finish is probably a solid 96-97%. Based upon what limited info you have here, would you think $550 - $600 range is reasonable?

A friend has a 5 shot .38 special revolver, looks a bit old, says 'Airweight' on the barrel (about 3.5"), and is marked 'Mod-37'. It's serial number 604xxx. Can anyone tell me the age of this one?

A friend has a 5 shot .38 special revolver, looks a bit old, says 'Airweight' on the barrel (about 3.5"), and is marked 'Mod-37'. It's serial number 604xxx. Can anyone tell me the age of this one?
Serial numbers ran from 295000 in 1962 to 786544 in 1969.

Jim

Back