Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hello to all.

What could be the date of manufacture of a revolver?
Model: 686-4, Satin Stainless Steel, Round Butt
Serial number: CBT7xxx
Engraving on barrel: .357 Security Special
Bought in Europe

box label:
686-4-blur.jpg

--
MJ

Questions...

I've been following the site for awhile and finally decided to join...I was recently given the opportunity to acquire a 586 no-dash for a reasonable cost. I was told it was made sometime in the 80's but the previous owner couldn't pin it down any more than that. The serial number is ACH02xx. Can anyone provide any info about this gun? It also didn't come with a box or anything. Is there anywhere to get replacement boxes, preferably a replica of the original one that came with the gun (label/sticker, all paperwork and extras, etc.)? Thanks.

I've been following the site for awhile and finally decided to join...I was recently given the opportunity to acquire a 586 no-dash for a reasonable cost. I was told it was made sometime in the 80's but the previous owner couldn't pin it down any more than that. The serial number is ACH02xx. Can anyone provide any info about this gun? It also didn't come with a box or anything. Is there anywhere to get replacement boxes, preferably a replica of the original one that came with the gun (label/sticker, all paperwork and extras, etc.)? Thanks.
Serial number dates it to 1983. Boxes, etc. can be found on eBay and gunbroker. As far as blank labels that you can put serial numbers on, they can be found also but I personally don’t like it. Too many people try to pass it off as original.

Jim

Thanks. I want the box because my gun didn't come with one. As for the label, I don't really care if the box has one, but I would like the box to have all the accessories. Haven't found one on any auction sites.

Scored a 25-7 Unfluted yesterday, BDS6xxx, product code 100924. I know there was a run of 2000 of this specific product code, some 25-7 and 25-9, but I can't figure out when it was made. Like many of the 45 caliber N frames, it is marked Model of 1989, however I've seen some sources listing them as made in 1987 and some in 1989.

Thanks!

Scored a 25-7 Unfluted yesterday, BDS6xxx, product code 100924. I know there was a run of 2000 of this specific product code, some 25-7 and 25-9, but I can't figure out when it was made. Like many of the 45 caliber N frames, it is marked Model of 1989, however I've seen some sources listing them as made in 1987 and some in 1989.

Thanks!
BDS would be 1989.
I bought mine new around that same time, when they first came out.

Jim

Wondering about my model 64 year of manufacture, S/N BEJ12**? It is in beautiful condition, former Georgia State DOC sidearm. I picked it up very reasonably.

Last edited:
Date of manufacturer of a Model 342 with STAINLESS STEEL cylinder (rather than titanium), PLEASE.

Serial Number: CZR828X.

yours, satx

Back