Smith and Wesson serial number search

SN's ran from 57K0001 to 91K6800 that year.
You're building quite the collection, eh?

Jim

I'm a sucker for a good deal, especially if it's P&R. Thanks again for another lookup, I appreciate it!

Just bought my first S&W yesterday and I'm curious what year it was made.
S&W 500, no dash.
Serial DKL3XXX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Just bought my first S&W yesterday and I'm curious what year it was made.
S&W 500, no dash.
Serial DKL3XXX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
The book I have only covers up to 2004. Yours was made after that. You can either call S&W customer service to get the DOB or register on the S&W forum and ask the same question, where someone will likely have a later edition book.

Jim

Another P&R classic popped up that I couldn't resist. A Model 58, in what I think is factory nickel. It has an R-N stamp under the grips. N272XXX. It's not an S prefix, so I think it's in the early 70's somewhere, maybe 72-74.

Thanks!

Another P&R classic popped up that I couldn't resist. A Model 58, in what I think is factory nickel. It has an R-N stamp under the grips. N272XXX. It's not an S prefix, so I think it's in the early 70's somewhere, maybe 72-74.

Thanks!
The last half of the N2xxxxx and most of the N5xxxxx consisted of M28 and M58 production. N2xxxxx ran from 1974 to 1977.
An “N” on the grip frame and I believe the back of the cylinder were indicative of nickeled guns.

Jim

The last half of the N2xxxxx and most of the N5xxxxx consisted of M28 and M58 production. N2xxxxx ran from 1974 to 1977.
An “N” on the grip frame and I believe the back of the cylinder were indicative of nickeled guns.

Jim

Thanks Jim! This one has the N on the grip frame, but not on the cylinder.

Just bought a 629 as my 686 needed a big brother. Looking for any information on this gun. Thanks

Model: 629-3
Serial# - BKF2XXX

Model: 629-3
Serial# - BKF2XXX
Many consider the 629- 3 and -4 the best of the 629 series as they had all the endurance updates and were pre MIM and internal lock. Dash 4 added the drilled and tapped frame.

Jim

Thanks for the information Jim. When you say dash 4 added the drill and tapped frame, are you talking about the holes on the top strap as mine has those which might have been done afterwards as it came with a Bushell Elite 3200 scope

Thanks for the information Jim. When you say dash 4 added the drill and tapped frame, are you talking about the holes on the top strap as mine has those which might have been done afterwards as it came with a Bushell Elite 3200 scope
Yes, the holes in the top of the frame. Dash 4 also included a new rear sight assembly (rounded vs square on the end) and the new extractor star (locator pins eliminated).
That said, during the transition some later dash 3’s could have one or more of the updates and some earlier dash 4’s missing one. So, yours could be correct.

Jim

Local ads for N frames are tough to ignore... A 629-2 Classic Hunter followed me home: BDZ9xxx. I think that would put it in 1988.

Thanks!

Local ads for N frames are tough to ignore... A 629-2 Classic Hunter followed me home: BDZ9xxx. I think that would put it in 1988.

Thanks!
Book shows SN prefixes BDZ to BEA running from May to August 1989.

I bought a 629-2 classic hunter back around 1988/89. It was unique for a S&W N frame back then with the full lug barrel and unflutted cylinder.

Jim

Back