Smith and Wesson serial number search

I recently purchased a S&W Model 39-2 Serial # A 147XXX does anyone know where I can find out about the pistol?

A good place to learn about them is the S&W forum (smith-wessonforum.com) in their semi auto sub forum. A good reference book is the Standard Catalog of Smith&Wesson, now on it’s 4th revision.
Otherwise, the model 39 in it’s various revisions was made from 1954 to 1982. Your serial number dates yours to 1972. They were and continue to be excellent guns.

Jim

Hey folks,
My father asked to sell his unfired S&W model 15 nickel revolver for him. He cannot remember the year he bought it new. Would someone mind helping me with that? I obviously don’t own the Standard Catalog :o.
Ser# 84K2XXX
Mod 15-4 Nickel

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Man, what a thread! I've got one for you serial daters.

It's a S&W Mountain Gun 625-6 45 Colt serial # CAZ05XX

I guess the Z in the serial # could be a 2

Thank you!

Bill

Last edited:
I just traded for a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard serial # KBK9XXX.
Can anyone tell me when it was made?
Unfortunately, my copy of the Standard Catalog of S&W is the 3rd addition which only covers up to 2004. There is a 4th addition out now that includes the later years. You could ask over on the S&W forum (smith-wessonforum.com) or you could call S&W customer service. They will give you the DOB over the phone for free.

Jim

Old K38

I just picked-up a "new" to me K38 and am anxious to know how old it is. The serial number is K 190xxx. It so happens to be a "five-screw model"...with those screws in the front of the trigger guard and at the top of the side plate. There is no "mod 14" inside the crane so it is older than my other K38 with four screws.

Can someone give me a date of manufacture?

I just picked-up a "new" to me K38 and am anxious to know how old it is. The serial number is K 190xxx. It so happens to be a "five-screw model"...with those screws in the front of the trigger guard and at the top of the side plate. There is no "mod 14" inside the crane so it is older than my other K38 with four screws.

Can someone give me a date of manufacture?
K190xxx would be 1953.
SN’s ran from K175638 to K 210095 that year.

Jim

Was one older than the other?

Just picked up at my lgs, after looking on their website, a 642. My question is, there were 2 sitting in the glass counter next to each other. Both had the same price tag hanging on them. However, had 2 different SKU numbers. The one SKU online listed it at $324, which is what it said on the tag in store, the other SKU was $424. Both had the IL - not a fan but for a hundred bucks cheaper...
Was the one listed for $324 one they had sitting there forever and needed to move it, or a happy mistake I caught online? Trying to find out if the one I picked up was that much older.

Model 642 -
SN: DEA5XXX
Thanks!

Back