Smith and Wesson serial number search

Can anyone help me? I just received a MOD-38 airweight from my father-in-law. I’m trying to find out what it is worth. I’m having trouble locating a value based on serial number. If someone has the resources to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Smith & Wesson MOD-38 ser.#j880xxx
Thanks

Can anyone help me? I just received a MOD-38 airweight from my father-in-law. I’m trying to find out what it is worth. I’m having trouble locating a value based on serial number. If someone has the resources to help it would be greatly appreciated.
Smith & Wesson MOD-38 ser.#j880xxx
Thanks
Serial number dates it to 1981.
Value depends on condition. $400 to $500 retail, a little more if you have the original box, paperwork and accessories.

Jim

.38 S&W CTG; the serial number on the butt of the gun and the cylinder is 193XXX. No letters, only numbers.
Thanks

Last edited:
.38 S&W CTG; the serial number on the butt of the gun and the cylinder is 193XXX. No letters, only numbers.
Thanks
Since S&W reused serial numbers across the model lines in the past, I'll need more info.
Is it .38 S&W or .38 S&W Spl (special)? Is it a 5 or 6 shot? Does the cylinder swing out to load or does the barrel tilt down?

Jim

.38 (not Special), 5 shot, barrel tilts down to load.
Thanks
That narrows it down to two.
If it has a hammer it would be a .38 Double Action 3rd Model. Serial numbers ran from 119001 in 1884 to 322700 in 1895.
If it is hammerless then it is a .38 Safety Hammerless 4th Model. Serial numbers ran from 116003 in 1898 to 220000 in 1907.

Jim

Just got a s&w .357 mag revolver dont know anyhing about it. Heard its a model 19 dlbut dont know for sure the #s under the pin to eject rounds from cylinder are.
S 80××× then a side ways R next to the cylinder are. 9 the a few spaces down 18××× any help would be greatly apreciated

Just got a s&w .357 mag revolver dont know anyhing about it. Heard its a model 19 dlbut dont know for sure the #s under the pin to eject rounds from cylinder are.
S 80××× then a side ways R next to the cylinder are. 9 the a few spaces down 18××× any help would be greatly apreciated
If this number (S80xxx) is also the same number stamped on the underside of the grip frame (you may have to remove the grips to see it) then it is not a model 19 but rather the larger framed model 357 Magnum. This later became the model 27 when S&W began using model numbers around 1957.
A serial number of S80xxx would date it to 1950/51.

Jim

Back