Smith and Wesson serial number search

one of the folks in another thread told me to post here to get a date of how old this gun that belonged to papaw is..
its a .32 " smith and wesson lemon squeezer" the serial # on it is 1764xx

its a .32 " smith and wesson lemon squeezer" the serial # on it is 1764xx
It's a .32 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model, also known as Safety, New Departure or Lemon Squeezer.
Serial numbers ran from 170000 in 1909 to 242981 in 1937. The book does not narrow it down any further but I would guess yours would be within the first few years of production.

65-3 the serial is 7D66xxx
Serial numbers ran from 7D10001 to 9D44500 that year.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi folks - new to the forum. Have just acquired an antique (I think) S&W - it is in poor shape, cylinder does not lock up, etc but I am interested in seeing if there is any value in restoring this thing for posterity.

I have tried looking at various data bases for serial number info, but am confused because this has a 6 digit number on the butt - 108305 . Maybe just a very late production of it?? I assume it is a 44-40 and a DA Frontier ??

Guess I am more into the more modern firearms, Shield, XDS and PT111 stuff....

Hope you folks might have some info for me or steer me inghte right direction.

Thanks Tim

I have tried looking at various data bases for serial number info, but am confused because this has a 6 digit number on the butt - 108305 . Maybe just a very late production of it?? I assume it is a 44-40 and a DA Frontier ??
Serial number is too high for that model. Pictures would really help.

Jim

Some photos I hope
Yes, the photos worked. Unfortunately I'm still not sure what you have. From the book I have the serial number is to high for a 44 or 45. Are you sure on the caliber? Your best option at this point is to post the pics and your question over on the S&W forum. They have a sub forum for antique guns and likely will be able to help you.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

Jim

Can anyone give dates for these two S&W 32 long ctg hand ejectors? I inherited them decades ago. Neither have model numbers or letters. One has six numbers on the butt and the other five numbers on the butt.

#251XXX

#277XX

Thanks,
Bill

Can anyone give dates for these two S&W 32 long ctg hand ejectors? I inherited them decades ago. Neither have model numbers or letters. One has six numbers on the butt and the other five numbers on the butt.

#251XXX

#277XX

Thanks,
Bill
251XXX would be a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 5th Change. Serial numbers ran from 102501 in 1910 to 263000 in 1917.

277XX would be the same model but 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 19426 in 1904 to 51126 in 1906.

Jim

Smith and Wesson 38 special ctg

I have recently acquired 2 s&w 38 specials and I'm looking for some back ground on them.
The first has a 4" barrel with white grips, patented Feb6,06, Sept 14,09, Dec 29,14 handle markings v6485xx

The second has a 4" barrel with wood grips and a lanyard sail and loop on the butt. Patented Feb 6,06 Sept 14,09 Dec 29, 14 handle markings V6363xx this one also has a "sure grip" piece on the handle marked Fray Mershon Inc. L.A. Calif.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

I have recently acquired 2 s&w 38 specials and I'm looking for some back ground on them.
The first has a 4" barrel with white grips, patented Feb6,06, Sept 14,09, Dec 29,14 handle markings v6485xx

The second has a 4" barrel with wood grips and a lanyard sail and loop on the butt. Patented Feb 6,06 Sept 14,09 Dec 29, 14 handle markings V6363xx this one also has a "sure grip" piece on the handle marked Fray Mershon Inc. L.A. Calif.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
The "V" prefix serial numbers identify then as Victory models made during WWII. Both would be around 1944.

Jim

Thanks Jim I will try that. The gun was in an estate sale and I was guessing at the caliber and model by the pics from some internet sites

I will try the S&W forum we know it is inoperable but maybe someone could use the parts

.38 serial

Hey all,

First timer with another "can you date this" question. I have an old S&W. 38 hammerless revolver, it's nickel with pearl like grips with the squeeze safety. I was wondering if it was of the lemon squeezer variety? Serial # 210XX. Very curious if this is pre -1900? Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

First timer with another "can you date this" question. I have an old S&W. 38 hammerless revolver, it's nickel with pearl like grips with the squeeze safety. I was wondering if it was of the lemon squeezer variety? Serial # 210XX. Very curious if this is pre -1900? Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a .38 Hammerless 2nd Model. Serial numbers ran from 5251 in 1887 to 42483 in 1890. So yes, pre 1900 and Lemon Squeezer variety.

Jim

Back