Smith and Wesson serial number search

Thanks so much for the info. It's pretty rough finish wise. Kinda cool to know it's that old. Came from my wife's Grandfather. If only the gun could talk. Thank you again. Pretty cool forum.

Hi I wanted to ask if someone could identify/date my 38 special I got from my grandfather. The number is 179XXX, pic attached

Attachments

• 38 pic.jpg
    38 pic.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 25
38 special I got from my grandfather. The number is 179XXX
Picture is most helpful! It's a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 3rd Change.
Serial numbers ran from 146000 in 1909 to 241703 in 1915.

It appears either the cylinder has been replaced (should have a matching serial number on it) or some "custom" refinishing work was done at some time during it's life.

Jim

Last edited:
Hello, I have been a long time reader of TFL but just joined. I was given an S&W 63 serial #M220XXX and was wondering if anyone knew the approximate date it was manufactured. Thank you for your help, Wroughndt

3 S&Ws

I have three S&Ws that I would like to know the "born on" date for: One is a Model 27 with 6" barrel - N4784XX. Another is a mint-ish safe queen Model 27 with 8 38" barrel (bought it many years back as "unfired", but it has a light ring around the cylinder) - N1847XX, and the last one is another safe queen (and pretty sure this one has not been fired - absolutely mint) Model 19-4, with 4" barrel - 40K90XX. I 'think' the 8 3/8 one is around 1973, and the 4" is 1979. Curious to know if I am right on the age of the two I think I know, and the age on the other one. Thanks.

Back