Smith and Wesson serial number search

date of manufacture sw model 686-3

I just picked up a Model 686-3 in really nice condition. Serial number is: BFW61xx. Can someone give me the manufacture date?

Trying to date friends S&W snub nose 38 spl. D586828
Thanks for any help.
de9e014a07b31aa4d60538b4d627e7e7.jpg

Last edited:
Year of Revolver S&W model 17 K .22

Good afternoon everyone, could you help me discover the year of this revolver S&W Model 17 K cal. 22. The serial number is 486849.
Thank you!

Blue 5 shot 38 snub JXXX106

Acquired late 1970s. Would like to know the model name in order to buy holster on line. Thanks

Oh also, only had 10 shots fired. Pretty much mint. What would the approximate value be? Don't want to carry if it's valuable.

S&W model K 17 cal.22

Good night everyone, could you help me discover the year of this revolver S&W Model 17 K cal. 22. The serial number is 486849. Following photos.
Thank you!

Attachments

• SW CTG 22 NUMBER.JPG
    SW CTG 22 NUMBER.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SW CTG 22.JPG
    SW CTG 22.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 66
38 spl. D586828
Serial numbers ran from D510001 in 1973 to D659901 in 1974.

S&W Model 17 K cal. 22. The serial number is 486849.
Something about that serial number is not right. There should be a "K" prefix and that small character stamped after the last number should not be there. K486849 would be 1962 but the sideplate has 4 screws which would date it to pre 1956. I'm pretty sure the original serial number has been removed and that one stamped in its place. There should be a matching serial number stamped on the back face of the cylinder and the underside of the barrel by the frame.
Blue 5 shot 38 snub JXXX106
You could x out the last three digits but I need the first two to narrow down the DOB. Otherwise J100000 to J999999 ran from 1973 to 1982.
It's a model 36 if all steel or a model 37 if an aluminum frame. Either way it's a "J" frame.
Value would be around $500 as you describe.

Jim

Last edited:
S&W model K 17 cal.22

Mr. Jim thank you for your attention , here in Brazil no one was able to identify this S & W , I noticed that there is the same number in the drum and under the barrel , are attached photos . Again thank you. Campana

Attachments

• IMG_3438.JPG
    IMG_3438.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3440.JPG
    IMG_3440.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3442.JPG
    IMG_3442.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Jim, it's steel so it's a 36. $500 isn't a fortune, but it's gone up from the $125 I paid for it (new) in 1978. :)

Age and value of Mod 36

I have acquired a S&W Model 36 from my father that he has had for probably over 30 years. I am wondering what the mfg date is and approximate value of the pistol.
It has rubber grips.
It is missing the thumb lever from the hammer.
I would say it is in "good" condition.
Serial # 793X3, it does have some type of stamp below the serial "see photo"

Sorry for the terrible quality of the photos!

Any information would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• MOD 36 3.jpg
    MOD 36 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 24
  • MOD 36 2.jpg
    MOD 36 2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 29
  • MOD 36 1.jpg
    MOD 36 1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 67
Hey Jim,

Would appreciate your help on a .38 Special 324658
Jim is better at all of these than I am, but I have a couple of older Hand Ejectors, Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change -- which I believe yours to be. I had my 357xxx serial number Hand Ejector factory lettered and Mr. Jinks says it was shipped at the end of May, 1921. I've seen a lettered 290xxx that shipped in 1918. It would be a pretty solid guess that your 324xxx was shipped in 1920 or early 1921.
I have acquired a S&W Model 36 from my father that he has had for probably over 30 years. I am wondering what the mfg date is and approximate value of the pistol.
It has rubber grips.
It is missing the thumb lever from the hammer.
I would say it is in "good" condition.
I THINK it is going to be 1955 or 1956. You are right -- the photos are awful. They don't help in determining a "value" and the bobbed hammer and lack of original stocks certainly don't help the value either.

I put the term "value" in quotes because it is outrageously subjective and the range is extremely wide. If it works good and it has sentimental value and you enjoy -- you have a very well-made revolver. On the market, it doesn't have a lot of appeal because it's not original. I would expect even a motivated buyer to top out around $400. Any dealer who buys guns specifically to sell them (and not own them, love them) would offer a couple hundred for it.

Smith & Wesson revolvers are absolutely some of the finest firearms EVER made. However, for them to have a high "value" they either need to be an oddball rare one or with rare original features... or they need to be in very high condition... or both. This is because they have made so many. Hope that helps and I'll bet Jim can maybe tell you more about it.

here in Brazil no one was able to identify this S & W , I noticed that there is the same number in the drum and under the barrel
Well, since you're in Brazil that leaves other possibilities I guess. Maybe different serial number sequences. All I can say is that serial number does not cross using the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson. Sorry I can't be of anymore help.
I could suggest you try you join the S&W forum and ask the question over there along with the pictures you have.

Jim

That is not the serial number. It's an assembly number. You will need to remove the grips to see the serial number stamped on the underside of the grip frame. Based on the thumb latch (cylinder release) it dates to post 1966.

Jim

A friend of mine wants to sell me his S/W 357 but I'm not sure what its worth. Could someone tell me a rough value and year?

Serial# 3D44875

Thanks

I believe it dates to 1978 or 1979. If it's definitely a .357 Magnum than it appears to be a Model 13. Price is INCREDIBLY subjective and also horribly difficult to shake out really well through just the pictures you have shown.

Without knowing a single about the pictured revolver but ASSUMING that it is in good working order -- especially with regard to cylinder timing, I think $450-$550 is a typical range it might trade in.

Thanks for the reply. It is a 357 and the only real marks on it is the blueing on the end of the barrel is wore off. It's been kept in a leather holster since my buddy has owned it.

Eric

Back