Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi everyone, I have an old Model 10-5 and after some searching I'm having a hard time confirming the exact year due to the first two characters not showing up in a catalog. I'm guessing 1978 but thought someone here might know more than me. The serial number is 3D2XXX.

If you have original factory wood stocks, you might pull them off and look inside for a date stamped in ink. It won't give you the exact born-on date for your 16-4 but it'll give you a date for the stocks and you might reasonably imagine that the revolver's date is near it.

16-4

Thanks for reply.
Unfortunately the original grips are not on it.. It came from a pistol club with 2 Target Grips, and a Hogue slip on grip... Plenty of grips but not the originals. Fortunately the condition of the gun is Excellent and appears to have had little use... which is great. Apparently the Gun was sold to the person I purchased it from as the Club had hardly used it as they concentrated on Air pistol and Rim-fire Disciplines.
My best at 25yds is 184/200, and that's me.. not the gun, so I am very surprised with its accuracy? It appears to be holding its own against the top names in the other centre-fires I have.

I am trying to find out if the Club might still have the box and grips??? Very Hopeful I think...

Thanks again, at least I know its around 1990.

S&W Model 36

I just obtained a mod 36 serial J188xxx. Can anyone tell me if I can, or should use +P? And when it use manufactured?

Wolf197

Your model 36 looks to be a 36-1 variant. It was probably shipped in 1974. Possibly early 1975. I can't give advice about +p ammo. I would not use it if I owned a model 36. Pretty small frame for any more recoil than necessary.
Please post some pictures of the Smith. We like pictures here. JA
PS. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon

I am looking at a Model 36-1 .38 Special SW with #4573xx.
The weapon is fully engraved, both on the ivory grips as well
as the entire weapon.

Will someone assist me please with the date of mfr?

Thanks

Chris

Model 36-1 .38 Special SW with #4573xx
Assuming there is no "J" prefix with that serial number, serial numbers ran from 295000 in 1962 to 786544 in 1969. The SCSW shows the first year of the 36-1 as 1967 so that would be the likely year of production.

Jim

Back