Smith and Wesson serial number search

DOB for S&W Model 17-6

Could you please tell me the date of manufacture for a Blue Model 17-6 .22 LR cal., 6 inch full lug barrel, 6 shot cylinder, target trigger, target hammer, target checkered grips, serial # BFM6XXX?
Thank you!

I've mentioned this on occasion in scattered discussions regarding the Model 17 and I'll mention it here for this Model 17 posted above--

I also have a 17-6, mine has a BBJ serial prefix (1989) and wish to point out the little bit of S&W lunacy (IMO of course) in that S&W elected to go from the traditional target barrel to the full-lug barrel without changing dash numbers.

It isn't clear to me how many of the dash-6 exist or what the balance of standard barrel versus full-lug barrel may be, but I continue to find it ludicrous that S&W didn't feel it was prudent or necessary to transition to the next dash number for what amounts to a RADICAL change and not a tiny little one.

Hello,
I just received this S&W revolver 18-3 from an uncle. The ser no. is 8K-9xxxx.
Just found my answer after a little digging.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
DOB 38 Special Revolver

Hello All
I recently acquired a old 38 special with a lanyard loop on the butt. It has serial number of 784xxx. Could someone help me find out when she was born?
Thanks for the help

Phil

DOB S&W Model 17-6

Could you please tell me the date of manufacture for a Blue Model 17-6 .22 LR cal., 6 inch full lug barrel, 6 shot cylinder, target trigger, target hammer, target checkered grips, serial # BFM6XXX?
Thank you!

Quote:
serial # BFM6XXX?

Jim

Thank you very much Jim!:)
RR13

How to date a couple S&Ws

Is this where and how I'd ask for the mfg. dates of two revolvers? Just joined, so I'm unsure how things work

2 revolvers dates

Laytonj1...Jim...
I was given some interesting info on these two old fellas but no one supplied the dates of manufacture. Reading thru these threads it seems most people can find out just when (or appx.) their revolver was made. Is there any way I can learn when my two guns were made, or do they fall into some black hole that can't be traced? I've had the .455 about 40 years now, I'd really like to know just how old they are.

Laytonj1...Jim...
I was given some interesting info on these two old fellas but no one supplied the dates of manufacture.
From the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson:
Serial numbers 1 thru ~ 163600 ran from Sep 1917 to Jan 1919.
A 1938 shipment of Brazilian guns were serial numbered in the 181983 to 207043 range. Another shipment in 1946 ran in the 207196 to 207989 range.

629-4, serial BSW48xx
1994/95.
In my opinion (and many others), the -4 was the best of the 629's. Had all the latest strength upgrades and was pre MIM and IL.

Jim

1994/95.
In my opinion (and many others), the -4 was the best of the 629's. Had all the latest strength upgrades and was pre MIM and IL.

Jim

Thanks Jim!! I certainly appreciate you taking the time to answer these. I knew it was pre-lock, but I didn't know the -4 was particularly desirable. Good to know I didn't screw that up :D

S&W NewDeparture

Can you give an appx. date for a Lemonsqueezer/NewDeparture .38 S&W. It has 3 1/4" bbl. A little checkered button on the top strap, push it down and the gun breaks open. Last pat. date Jun 3 .90. Now the serial #s are odd, the bottom of butt has 80043 and the cylinder says 80045. I needed a magnifying glass to notice the difference. Could that be a factory error, it seems unlikely a replacement cyl. would be that close. The nickel finish has a lot of wear and the grips were a mess,but; it functions perfectly, indexes perfectly. Bore and chambers nice. Is this safe with modern available ammo?

Can you give an appx. date for a Lemonsqueezer/NewDeparture .38 S&W.
Safety Hammerless 3rd Model. Serial numbers ran from 42484 in 1890 to 116002 in 1898. Without seeing it myself, I would guess the serial numbers are the same. A 3 and 5 can look an awful lot alike when stamped into metal.

Jim

model 65-2? serial number 7060xxx?
That's not the serial number. Take it from the underside of the grip frame. You may have to remove the grips to see it. 65-2's were made from 1977 to 82 so the serial number will likely have a "D" as the second or 3rd digit.

Jim

..helping my Wife's friend and our neighbor..

the neighbor has a S&W .38spec that her Father left to her - shes asked my to try and find "what the pistol is"

the only thing I have is the serial number (710XXX), the fact that it's a S&W .38spec and that it's Stainless

any help as to what model S&W it is and perhaps year would be appreciated

thank you

the only thing I have is the serial number (710XXX), the fact that it's a S&W .38spec and that it's Stainless
Not much to go on but assuming you took the serial number from the underside of the grip frame (there are assembly numbers in other locations), that there were no letter prefixes a few spaces before the serial number, that it is a five shot, and is in fact stainless and not nickel, then it could be a model 60 made around 1968.

Jim

did take the number from the bottom of the grip - no spaces, no letters

guessing it's stainless and it's a 6 shooter

would a pic help ? easy enough to do that............thanks

Hello everyone, I have a old S&W model 10-5 given to me by my grandmother after my grandfather passed on. I'm needing to order a few parts for it & not sure if the manufacture date will help or not, if someone could help me with it I would be most appreciative.

It seems to be old and the serial number is a 5 digit ( D4XXX ) I see nothing else after that & it is a square butt frame. I need to replace the hand that ratchets the cylinder and am a bit confused as to whether I need a two or three pin hand for this one, maybe someone can enlighten us.

Thanks John

Back